Three Acanthurus tangs walk into a bar...

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep an eye on that Caribbean Blue tang. Mine killed a larger Gold Rim. I ended up rehoming him due to him picking on a few other fish in my tank. May have just been a bad individual.
Yes my Caribbean blue was 1” when I got it and now is about 3” changed colors also. It went after powder brown, purple and then yellow. Only tang it didn’t bother in my 300reef was the blue hippo who is larger. Today we moved the Caribbean blue in with a 10” Sohal and scopas. So far so good! Will see!

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will eventually be their home... though you only see 5 fish here, 11 more will call it home in just over 2 weeks from now.

Beautiful tank! Thanks for sharing. Sounds like you have a good plan. We finished moving our 180g 6’ to a 300g 8’ today! Fun stuff!

Mal Cameron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with getting the three tangs together. I have a gold rim tang (ancanthurus nigricans) and its the MOST aggressive fish I have ever known. Had him now 8 years with two large tangs (blue tang, ring tail tang) and is only just now starting to be sociable. Lovely fish but I would never get another one. Cheers

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my yellow and my purple tang as babys, about the same size and they have grown up fine together. i call them evo and stick as they are never separated. I think if you get them young they grow up thinking they belong to the same clan

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
I bought my yellow and my purple tang as babys, about the same size and they have grown up fine together. i call them evo and stick as they are never separated. I think if you get them young they grow up thinking they belong to the same clan
Thats awesome, I think your right!

Viner87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elliot y. Lim on facebook has a great write up on keeping many acanthurus together. He had at least 5 or more in a 75 with no issues. Having ogo in the tank at all times was key. It's worth reading

Have you got the link to that dude? Be good to read [emoji1303]

OP
OP
AquaLifeStudio

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
quick update:

Found a local store that has live blackworms but cant get the wife to pick them up till tomorrow.

The good news is that the Achilles has been eating the Nori. I'd only know that since the Nest camera that I put on it's tank is recording throughout the day. That makes me super happy!

OP
OP
AquaLifeStudio

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I havent started to ramp up the Cupramine for the Acanthurus group just yet but I still have to take care of the two other tanks full of fish waiting for their December 16th graduation date...

I've grown to be very detailed about how much Cupramine I add for each 5 gallon bucket, .95ml to be exact.

20181130_220954.jpg

My wife is going to attempt to feed live blackworms tomorrow, if she picks them up.

I'll share a video clip if anything interesting happens.

OP
OP
AquaLifeStudio

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to have to separate the Powder Brown from the larger Goldrim and Achilles by moving it into the only other tank I have open right now, my Red Sea Reefer 170. There are just 6 small fish in there that won't bully it and I dont have to worry about adding a non QT fish because everybody in that tank have also not gone through QT.

The Goldrim was just pestering the Powder Brown too much and the Achilles wasnt much better when the two of them had to share a space.

OP
OP
AquaLifeStudio

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't have to separate the Powder Brown and Achilles after all. They are somewhat tolerating each other, for now at least. All is currently well in the bar even though the Achilles is still only eating nori but that's okay by me.

Jmas4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please keep this thread updated. I too am thinking about keeping 3 Acanthurus tangs together.
@Chevy4Life Do you think 3 similar sized and temperament Acanthurus tangs will do better together or 2 Acanthurus and 1 zebrasoma tang?

Thanks

OP
OP
AquaLifeStudio

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All three Tangs are doing great though I hate that their water darkens due to all the algae their appetite demands. I've started to ramp up the copper, slowly, and I am targeting doing a 2 week or 4 week treatment with Cupramine and then add in Prazipro at the end.

The Powder Brown is still in with the Achilles and the two have short spats from time to time but considerably better overall than when the Powder Brown was in with the Goldrim.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please keep this thread updated. I too am thinking about keeping 3 Acanthurus tangs together.
@Chevy4Life Do you think 3 similar sized and temperament Acanthurus tangs will do better together or 2 Acanthurus and 1 zebrasoma tang?

Thanks
Three acanthurus tangs is probably better depending on the species.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a larger hippo with a good size yellow and I guess it's been few months ago now since introducing a very small Achilles. Yellow tang and my goldflake kind of bothered it for a week every now and then but he held his own. After that week they've been good. Hippo decides to chase the Achilles on rare occasion now but nothing major. I kept the lights off for a day when introducing the Achilles. I also ran my UV for the first week... after several weeks Achilles got ich so I turned the UV back on for a week and haven't seen it since. Every now and then I run the UV at night but haven't seen ich since.

Sorry wasnt trying to hijack the thread just thought it was relevant. I think they'll do just fine. Oh btw my tank is a 150gal

OP
OP
AquaLifeStudio

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you hanna checker!

I reached a therapeutic Cupramine level today and I'm going to make sure I maintain that for the next 2 weeks. These fish have shown no signs of any disease (or infection) but I still treat everything with Copper and Prazipro. I'll begin Prazipro this next week and run it concurrently with the copper.

The goal was to add this trio to the main DT by year end and so far they seem on track. They'll get transferred to clean buckets for their acclimation and in they'll go to meet their new family and friends.

Between now and new year, there will be a total of 14 fish being added to the existing 5. This will be a fun time and what I've been waiting for, for over 2 and a half years!

This 220 gallon tank first got wet in April of 2016 and I have had a heck of a time trying to get everything right. This time, it may just work out. ::crosses fingers::

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back