Three Acanthurus tangs walk into a bar...

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan to take out the divider soon? Seems like they may be going a bit stir crazy in such a small space

OP
OP
AquaLifeStudio

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I was able to graduate a Gold Nugget Clown, two Firefish, Blonde Naso, Moorish Idol, and a Diamond Goby to my main display on Sunday, I was able to rehome the Powder Brown to the now open QT tank this evening. I plan on doing the same in the next few weeks for the Goldrim if and when another QT tank opens up.

OP
OP
AquaLifeStudio

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 3rd and last QT setup just opened up today. The thing is, the Goldrim and Achilles seem to be tolerating each other, so I dont think I'm going to separate those two right now. I havent started Prazipro yet but I may begin that sometime in the next few days.

All three are still doing great, no signs of any issues at all. This is a huge relief as I've lost two Achilles Tangs before due to infection.

The only thing that could slow me down from adding all three to the main display is allowing the biofilter to adjust to the 11 fish I just added (in the last week) to the existing 5 in 200 gallons of water.

OP
OP
AquaLifeStudio

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another update.

I moved the Goldrim into it's own QT back on the 23rd where it has also been medicated with Cupramine.

All three have been eating their nori AND frozen foods, even the Achilles (took long enough).

They've all been in a therapeutic concentration of Cupramine, 0.36mg/l to a high of 0.63mg/l but mostly hovering around 0.50mg/l since the 13th of December.

I am now itching to move them to the main display with a quick transfer to 5 gallon buckets before hand so I can drip acclimate them.

I'm going to begin warming up some fresh saltwater, dosed with 0.5mg/l Cupramine, in the next few minutes for the brief "tank transfer". From there, I'll begin the drip acclimation from the main display.

OP
OP
AquaLifeStudio

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20190101_224116.jpg
20190101_224136.jpg
20190101_224814.jpg

Viner87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations getting all three of these through QT [emoji1303] Hope they settle in well for you.

Do you have a build thread I could follow?

OP
OP
AquaLifeStudio

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations getting all three of these through QT [emoji1303] Hope they settle in well for you.

Do you have a build thread I could follow?

I dont quite have a build thread for the tank as a whole, just for the electronics cabinet and sump plumbing.

Now, on to a few alarming observations from this morning. The Powder Brown has a good slash to it's side and the Achilles has a cloudy eye, along with what appears to be combat markings on all three Acanthurus. Since none of these issues existed before hand, I must conclude that this all occurred in the morning hours after being placed in the tank.

Viner87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont quite have a build thread for the tank as a whole, just for the electronics cabinet and sump plumbing.

Now, on to a few alarming observations from this morning. The Powder Brown has a good slash to it's side and the Achilles has a cloudy eye, along with what appears to be combat markings on all three Acanthurus. Since none of these issues existed before hand, I must conclude that this all occurred in the morning hours after being placed in the tank.

It’ll settle I’m sure - it’s quite normal for marks like this. My gem tang got battered bless her when I added her to my tank.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Good luck. I hope they all settle down for you. Have you tried TDO pellets? My achillies goes insane for them. Also really likes small New life spectrum pellets.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats and good work!! :)

OP
OP
AquaLifeStudio

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some New Life Spectrum (NLS) pellets and can add those to the water column. Otherwise, I soak nearly all frozen food and nori with Selcon.

All three's behaviour are normal and it appears that everybody is getting used to eachother. Achilles has been eating it's nori since introduction and is currently doing figure eights around the nori clips.

My water quality is stellar; nitrate @ less than 1 and phosphate near 0.0, ph @ 7.81, kh director reads 9.2. I do run a large bio pellet reactor and it seems to do the trick. I would love to see the Achilles' eye heal on it's own. Is that wishful thinking?

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My water quality is stellar; nitrate @ less than 1 and phosphate near 0.0, ph @ 7.81, kh director reads 9.2. I do run a large bio pellet reactor and it seems to do the trick. I would love to see the Achilles' eye heal on it's own. Is that wishful thinking?

I bet it will heal on it’s own. I’d at least give it a couple days to see if it’s improving or getting worse before pulling it from the display.

Kmsutows

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all will go well. Eye should heal too. Just keep the lights off for at least a day or 2 and have plenty of nori present at all times if possible and in multiple locations

OP
OP
AquaLifeStudio

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I deal with every couple of days. Skimmer and bio pellets work really well.
20190102_091011.jpg

Since I have a few recovering sps corals, from being moved from Invert QT and being dipped with Revive, added to the system I dont think I want to keep the lights off for that kind of time.

My total bio load is from a current total of 19 fish:

THE TANGS
Blue Regal
Yellow Eye Kole
Blonde Naso
Achilles
Powder Brown
Goldrim (White Cheek)

THE REST
Moorish Idol
Bluethroat Triggerfish
Foxface Rabbitfish
Yellow Longnose Butterflyfish
Diamond Spot Goby
Purple Firefish
Orange Firefish
(Definitely not) pair of Gold Nugget Clownfish
Quartet of Blue Reef Chromis

OP
OP
AquaLifeStudio

AquaLifeStudio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Achilles is trying to attract the attention of the cleaner shrimp and the cleaner shrimp is not at all interested.

The other two Acanthurus are taking turns playing catfish and mouse. :p

I'm glad I decided to move the trio in this past evening as it was just before my one day off this week. I can sit back all day and just watch.

This is a huge reward to see so much activity after at least 3 separate 3 month fallow periods and a whole lot of heartache over lost livestock.

Viner87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Achilles is trying to attract the attention of the cleaner shrimp and the cleaner shrimp is not at all interested.

The other two Acanthurus are taking turns playing catfish and mouse. :p

I'm glad I decided to move the trio in this past evening as it was just before my one day off this week. I can sit back all day and just watch.

This is a huge reward to see so much activity after at least 3 separate 3 month fallow periods and a whole lot of heartache over lost livestock.

Wow that sounds painful - one fallow period was long enough, let alone 3!!

elisa h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a video so you all can get a look at the injured eye

It should heal on its own with clean water and good nutrition. Only problem would be if it got infected but antibiotics like metroplex should fix that. If he has a healthy immune system he shouldn’t have a problem. When my Midas blenny got popeye I dosed metro/Kano plex in his food just in case, dosed epsom salt, did water changes and it healed in about a week. Although antibiotics dosed to the water column is more effective for external injuries it’s not really a viable option for treatment in the display. Epsom salt can help reduce swelling and is reef safe.

Back