Tigger & Tisbe Pods

jnvd3b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Information! I am starting a tisbe pod culture this week. My only question is how to harvest the pods to put into my DT. Will the Brine shrimp net catch the smaller tisbe pods? or do you have something else that you would recommend using.

I am using a brine shrimp net and it struggles with the tigger pods so i doubt tisbe are going to be easy to get out with it. The larger tigger pods do fine with the brine shrimp net tho.

I think 40bknasty is on the right page and speaking from experience in that the pods that are worth breeding in a seperate container are the tiggers. If you want to ‘seed’ your main display with other pod types that is good too but the best effort-to-reward ratio for cultivating them is to use the larger, more nutritious tigger pods.

I have no fish in my main tank which is a 40breeder because i am setting up a fishless planted reef. Will be setting up a larger display with a lot of wrasses later this year which is why i wanted to get a great pod supply going, but after cultivating these tigger pods briefly they are very easy to do but once in a tank with fish, can’t see them lasting long, hence why i think a simple 5-10 gallon seperate tank for keeping the culture going might be the best approach for the tigger pods.

OP
OP
40B Knasty

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using a brine shrimp net and it struggles with the tigger pods so i doubt tisbe are going to be easy to get out with it. The larger tigger pods do fine with the brine shrimp net tho.

I think 40bknasty is on the right page and speaking from experience in that the pods that are worth breeding in a seperate container are the tiggers. If you want to ‘seed’ your main display with other pod types that is good too but the best effort-to-reward ratio for cultivating them is to use the larger, more nutritious tigger pods.

I have no fish in my main tank which is a 40breeder because i am setting up a fishless planted reef. Will be setting up a larger display with a lot of wrasses later this year which is why i wanted to get a great pod supply going, but after cultivating these tigger pods briefly they are very easy to do but once in a tank with fish, can’t see them lasting long, hence why i think a simple 5-10 gallon seperate tank for keeping the culture going might be the best approach for the tigger pods.
In a good way it is better to have that little struggle collecting the more juvenile tigger pods so those can stay in the tank to grow with a longer life span remaining to repopulate the tank and become new mothers with 10 chances to repopulate the tank vs old moms that are bigger and have only 1-7 chances left pending on how long they have been in the tank.
Also the mysis net I picked up from a LFS that has a black wire handle seems to have a tiny bigger micron netting size and more cloth like material. The one I got at Petsmart that came with a sponge has a stiffer like material screen like the typical green nets. It has a smaller micron. Plus I find the pods have a harder time holding onto the net when I turn it inside out over the Mason jar. The pods fall out before I squirt the water into the net with the turkey baster.

Last edited:

tammieh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the great videos! I just started trying to grow some out in a 14 gallon tank I had sitting with some snails that were breeding. Hopefully I've found a way to keep the husband from complaining about my mandarin's expensive diet. ;)

OP
OP
40B Knasty

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the great videos! I just started trying to grow some out in a 14 gallon tank I had sitting with some snails that were breeding. Hopefully I've found a way to keep the husband from complaining about my mandarin's expensive diet. ;)
Your welcome @tammieh. It is one expensive diet. $1040 a year at 1 bottle a week.
My Tisbe Pods are still up and running for about 3 1/2 months.
Let's see some pictures everyone! I would like to see some ideas that you have added or taken out to improve this for someone else. I still like the ammonia badge idea that was suggested.
If you have a dragonet or looking to get into keeping one. Please watch this video.

OP
OP
40B Knasty

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is 2 picture of the 5g zoomed in and out as of today that started with Tigger pods only. That's a lot of pods! I have literally pulled about 40,000-50,000 pods from that tank in the past 3 1/2 months.
The other 5g is very slow right now. Not even worth taking a picture of.

IMG_20180118_024442.jpg

IMG_20180118_024451.jpg

tammieh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would you show me how you made your Mandarin feeder? Looks a lot easier than using my turkey baster! But he does come running and fortunately started eating frozen pretty quickly. I've had the little guy for almost 3 years. Wouldn't have jumped into keeping him as early as I did, but the original tank broke while we were on vacation. How our tank sitter didn't figure that out I have no idea. Fortunately nothing died. We came back to a desperate need for a new tank and bought a used one that came with him. He's a cutie. <3

Going to get spirulina powder today. What a great idea!! I haven't set up a grow out tank due to little space (we're in the middle of a move now for almost 2 years - new house was gutted and this house is getting cramped with extra furniture, lights, and such). So finding a way to feed this tank until I get more space is a big bonus. This tank was up and running after Hurricane Irma - sitting empty with 2 snails. I had condensed everything into one bigger tank for the evacuation. Came back and I now have a little snail farm. It's been fun watching the snails grow.

I have the pump turned off and just have a air stone. Is there any problem running the pump, or would my pods get sucked up and destroyed? There's not a lot in the tank for them to latch on to.... two clumps of macro algae.

I did order ammonia monitors. Another great idea!! I check the chemistry on my main tank, but this one was a bit neglected which ended up being a good thing as I have been able to watch the snails grow up. The pods do seem happy enough. I can see a lot of females with egg sacks.

0118180806.jpg
0118180806_Burst01.jpg
0118180807.jpg
0118180807a.jpg

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started up this 10g about a week ago.
I used a bottle of reef nutrition Tigger pods and I'm feeding them phyto feast right now. Slow so far but it's still early. I just have a few pieces of Matrix and a sponge filter in there right now.

20180118_000733.jpg

OP
OP
40B Knasty

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The feeding station is for baby brine shrimp. It is just a funnel at the top. Taped to rigged tubing. At the bottom I stuck a pen in the tubing and inched it out bending it with heat from a hair dryer. Drilled a 5/16 hole in the side of J. Crew hair wax container that I had cleaned out a few times with no soap. Slid the bent piece of rigged side into the 5/16 drill hole. Frag glue to seal it. Took the screw top lid off the container. Drilled a hole in the screw top lid for a starter hole. Cut a big enough hole in the top. Took a green net. Cut the net making a big enough size that fit over the container. Screwed the lid on. Bam done!
I do not use any filtration in the pod tanks. Tigger pods have a rough time with impellers I heard. Tisbe pods not so much. This is only what I have read. I just do a water change every 2 weeks.

IMG_20180118_112115.jpg

IMG_20180118_112832.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
40B Knasty

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started up this 10g about a week ago.
I used a bottle of reef nutrition Tigger pods and I'm feeding them phyto feast right now. Slow so far but it's still early. I just have a few pieces of Matrix and a sponge filter in there right now.

20180118_000733.jpg
Nice setup. Give it like 3 weeks. If you can wait longer. That just equals larvae becoming able to reproduce making more larvae.
Like I said in the last video posted about the math. You could have up to 300,000 in 3 months. Just from the 1000 females that are half a bottle of Reef Nutrition Tigger pods if left untouched.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need to look into this. For me, since space is limited to setup any culture, I am torn between setting up a BBS and POD culture. My goal is to get a mandarin. I want to be able to supply food on regular basis and get a good system going, before I go get the fish.

OP
OP
40B Knasty

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need to look into this. For me, since space is limited to setup any culture, I am torn between setting up a BBS and POD culture. My goal is to get a mandarin. I want to be able to supply food on regular basis and get a good system going, before I go get the fish.
Watch the last video on the simple math of knowing the mandarin and pods how they reproduce. How many BBS you hatch per day from a hatchery. To add to your total of crustaceans to feed a dragon. If you are in the 1000+ per day. You will be looking good. The tigger pods are just the best because they are a nutritional source for Omega 3. Helps with that slime coat to make them more resilient (not immune) to parasitic things like ich and velvet. It is not a cure.

rockstarta78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@40B Knasty got a question for you. Since I am limited in space, will it be ok to start a culture out under my deck? I have a patio under my deck which is somewhat covered. I can run few 5gl tanks there. I can also place it where it gets some sunlight. My other concern would be rain. I could put a plastic over the tanks to stop rain water from going in. But my concern is, is it even possible to do it under the shade of a deck?

OP
OP
40B Knasty

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@40B Knasty got a question for you. Since I am limited in space, will it be ok to start a culture out under my deck? I have a patio under my deck which is somewhat covered. I can run few 5gl tanks there. I can also place it where it gets some sunlight. My other concern would be rain. I could put a plastic over the tanks to stop rain water from going in. But my concern is, is it even possible to do it under the shade of a deck?
It is like all tanks. They need gas exchange. I wouldn't use direct sunlight either. That will cause an algae bloom. Then say the.algae gets no light to have photosynthesis. That algae dies causing an ammonia spike crashing your tank. Stable indoor room temp works.

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Mandarins i add mysid shrimp babies and they're tiny for baby mandarins. Adult mysid are great for the adults mandarins really nice size all around. And the reproduction is pretty fast once established in your sump. I allow atleast 3-6 months for them to populate to massive numbers in my display before adding a Mandarin.
For 2 years i didn't have to add anymore of them could of went longer but i injuried my back and had to sell my tanks.
I just transfered my 29g to my 60g cube I'm give it a few months before i add a mandarin again.
This is solely for Mandarin though i may try those tigger pods more species the better.
Nice vids btw!

Last edited:
OP
OP
40B Knasty

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For Mandarins i add mysid shrimp babies and tiny for baby mandarins and the adults are a nice size. And the reproduction is pretty fast once established in your sump. I allow atleast 3-6 for them to populate to massive numbers in my display before adding a Mandarin.
For 2 years i didn't have to add anymore of them could of went longer but i injuried my back and had to sell my tanks.
I just transfered my 29g to my 60g cube I'm gibe it a few months before i add a mandarin again.
This is solely for Mandarin though i may try those tigger pods more species the better.
Nice vids btw!
thanks, doing my best to provide info.
I like the idea of having more than one pod. Just from what I have read and heard. Pods really don't play nice together. The bigger species you provide will be the one to take over. Happened with the Tisbe pod tank.

Sycoticrealm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, doing my best to provide info.
I like the idea of having more than one pod. Just from what I have read and heard. Pods really don't play nice together. The bigger species you provide will be the one to take over. Happened with the Tisbe pod tank.
So the tiggers eat them?

MrsBugmaster

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back