Tiny Nuisance Star Fish

nyc reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must have bought a frag which had one of these tiny starfish in it and now my glass gets covered with them at night. How can I get rid of them, I pick them off but doesn’t seem to help. There are at least a hundred of these all over the glass. Will adding a harlequin shrimp help?

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have a picture? If they are asterina, then a harlequin should work (note that there are some reports they didn’t eat asterina stars). If they do help, you may need a plan to re-home them when they run out of food.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have to rehome the shrimp after it eats all the asterinas. Manual removal is another option. I know someone who created a device like a mag cleaner but it’s a scooper for asterinas. Brilliant! I’ll post a link.

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here it is! super cool gadget. (I recommend anything from this guy in general).

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Larger wrasses will gobble them up like it's candy, so will many triggers. I do not have any of the asterina starfish. I bought my harlequin tusk from a private seller a few years ago, after a couple of weeks I get a message from the seller telling me that he had no idea he had asterina starfish until he sold the tusk. The tusk was doing such a good job eating them the previous owner didn't even know there were any in his tank. Now the tusk is in my tank and they are all over his rock and glass.

TankYou

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Find a star fish that eats asterinas.
1573767970739.jpeg

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There #s will eventually go down. I just let them run the course and they ate almost all of my coraline algae. Then I noticed I wasn’t seeing as many as before on the glass so they had stopped reproducing, and now I see some small ones only not many and my coraline is growing back, this all happened over the course of roughly 6 months. They didn’t really bug me as they were not eating any of the corals, but as others have stated you can manually remove them and add in some predators to help eradicate or atleast bring there #s down. My Clown trigger did like to pluck the big ones off the glass but didn’t eat them.

OP
OP
nyc reefer

nyc reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ll order that magnetic scraper/trap looks good. Thanks all I appreciate the replies.

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If the picture is for the objects on the rock, they look like asterina stars. If it’s for what’s on the glass, I agree they do t look like asterina. Natural predators are harlequin shrimp but you’d need to fine a home for it later.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back