Tiny- The Wallet Destroyer (1000G)

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey y'all,

So, new city (Tampa FL), new post-rona life, and new house has created a new opportunity to utterly and completely destroy my financial future by designing and building an absolute monster of a room-divider tank.

I had a previous custom build that I was working on, that was 86'd by the builder going belly-up, then moving away from California, then corona-virus. If you're curious, my prev build thread is here:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/it-has-begun.616765/

I will scan in some scale drawings of what I'm considering once I finish them, but the basics are, would like about 10 feet long, by 4 feet wide by 3.5-4 feet tall. There will be some challenges in regards to flow, lighting, etc, and I would very much like as much guidance as possible by those who've done similarly-sized big tanks.

The new house has an estimated time of completion of Q2 2021, so assuming we don't all die of a resurgence of the plague this coming winter, will be looking to have it installed, plumbed, and ready for water by mid-summer next year. So, plenty of time, but I want to get started early and take my time to do everything right.

More to come, stay tuned!

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the tank dimensions -- do you think it will be too tall/wide to get to the middle section? How would you reach the bottom in the middle? I'm 6'4 and can't get to the other side of my 3' wide tank without dunking my head/shoulder into the water

I was planning on investing in some grabber tools and step stools... I'm 6'2 so figured I'd be able to get at least halfway before donning a snorkel... Also, it will help that I will be able to access from both sides since it will be between rooms was my thought.

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have big step stools and access from both sides of my 10ft x 3ft x 30" high tank, and it's still a struggle. Technically you can reach things with grabbers, but rocks etc. could be more challenging. Another 12" of height (you mentioned 4' tall) and you're out of luck.

I'm definitely not trying to dissuade you -- go huge!! -- just read up on the folks who have done really tall tanks. 30" tall is usually the edge of comfortability for tall people. Hopefully others will chime in and argue that it should be even taller and wider! :p

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will the ceiling height be where the tank is located? You could work to make a catwalk system that was on each of the 10' sides (say 1' wide) that would still allowed you to have access to the middle of the tank. It would also allow for easy lighting management, either between the two catwalks or underneath them depending on what you go with for light. They could also be made to fold up while "storing" them and then being put down when you need to do maintenance on the tank. This will help if lighting needs to be fairly high off the water which may not work with a fixed catwalk system

I would also suggest looking at the panta rhei pumps for flow, I've seen quit a bit of good press over the years for them, and they put out a massive amount of water movement.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have big step stools and access from both sides of my 10ft x 3ft x 30" high tank, and it's still a struggle. Technically you can reach things with grabbers, but rocks etc. could be more challenging. Another 12" of height (you mentioned 4' tall) and you're out of luck.

I'm definitely not trying to dissuade you -- go huge!! -- just read up on the folks who have done really tall tanks. 30" tall is usually the edge of comfortability for tall people. Hopefully others will chime in and argue that it should be even taller and wider! :p

Yeah... rocks and heavier stuff would def be difficult to get to with a grabber if in the middle... snorkel it is hahaha.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will the ceiling height be where the tank is located? You could work to make a catwalk system that was on each of the 10' sides (say 1' wide) that would still allowed you to have access to the middle of the tank. It would also allow for easy lighting management, either between the two catwalks or underneath them depending on what you go with for light. They could also be made to fold up while "storing" them and then being put down when you need to do maintenance on the tank. This will help if lighting needs to be fairly high off the water which may not work with a fixed catwalk system

I would also suggest looking at the panta rhei pumps for flow, I've seen quit a bit of good press over the years for them, and they put out a massive amount of water movement.

The ceiling height will be 10 feet... I did think of a catwalk kinda deal but that was nixed by the s/o.

One of the things that I haven't figured out yet is how to manage the lighting fixtures when I need to do maintenance. I have three 400 Watt Hamilton Cozumel Sun Pendants that will be inter-spaced with three Kessil A360X LEDs supplemental lights that I want to hang 12 inches off the water. I feel like those Cozumels will get HOT and I don't want to burn myself bumbling around in the tank. I'm not sure I completely understand your description of the "folding catwalk" system? That may be an easier sell...

For flow I think I'm leaning towards Tunze Masterstream 6550s for the form factor of the nozzle protruding more... my idea is to have them behind an in-tank divider so that they're hidden. I'm working on some sketches to show what I mean.

Thanks for the input!

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the inadequate description, it sounded better in my head haha. I was thinking something similar in concept to this (https://www.grainger.com/product/COTTERMAN-Steel-Serrated-Spring-Loaded-22P023) but made out of fiberglass instead of metal so salt buildup wouldn't be an issue. It also wouldn't need to be spring loaded, but would mount horizontally on the wall, and fold "up" vertically to give adequate room for lighting. You could look into making something like 5' modules so that they're easy to fold/up down by 1 person when working on the tank. If that makes more sense?

For lighting I would look into some sort of automatic lift system to bring the lights up into the ceiling when you need to work on the aquarium. I know there are a ton of good ideas out there, I can't seem to find the thread for the one that comes to mind, but I'll keep searching.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the inadequate description, it sounded better in my head haha. I was thinking something similar in concept to this (https://www.grainger.com/product/COTTERMAN-Steel-Serrated-Spring-Loaded-22P023) but made out of fiberglass instead of metal so salt buildup wouldn't be an issue. It also wouldn't need to be spring loaded, but would mount horizontally on the wall, and fold "up" vertically to give adequate room for lighting. You could look into making something like 5' modules so that they're easy to fold/up down by 1 person when working on the tank. If that makes more sense?

For lighting I would look into some sort of automatic lift system to bring the lights up into the ceiling when you need to work on the aquarium. I know there are a ton of good ideas out there, I can't seem to find the thread for the one that comes to mind, but I'll keep searching.

I see what you mean now... If I went in that direction I would just have to figure out a material that would fit into the decor of the room.

An automatic lift sounds great, but I'm not sure I have the engineering expertise to design and build one.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, here's my first design draft... never done one before so be kind haha. Let me know what you think!

So far the only equipment I have is the three 400W Hamilton Cozumel MH Pendants and one Kessil A360X (Also have an un-assembled and un-used 108" x 36" x 36" aluminum stand in storage from my previous aborted build that I'll be putting up for sale or trade in the "For Sale" section soon).

I was thinking for flow, 2 Maxspect Gyre XF350s on the distal end, and 2 Tunze Turbelle Masterstream 6550s on the wall end.

Tiny The Wallet Destroyer 1st Draft.jpg

MBinNY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the tank dimensions -- do you think it will be too tall/wide to get to the middle section? How would you reach the bottom in the middle? I'm 6'4 and can't get to the other side of my 3' wide tank without dunking my head/shoulder into the water
I’m 6’3” and I have the same issue and just built a tank 48” wide so I scaled down the height to 27” for that reason. 4’ deep could be an issue without scuba gear.

Sltloser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what you mean now... If I went in that direction I would just have to figure out a material that would fit into the decor of the room.

An automatic lift sounds great, but I'm not sure I have the engineering expertise to design and build one.

Oooook now I see, I thought you were going to have cabinetry to enclose the top portion. Wide open like that would definitely put the kibosh on the catwalk idea.

I'm sure there are plenty of people here who would help design one!

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooook now I see, I thought you were going to have cabinetry to enclose the top portion. Wide open like that would definitely put the kibosh on the catwalk idea.

I'm sure there are plenty of people here who would help design one!

I hope so, will def need to come up with something!

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting new equipment is almost the most exciting part of this whole process! I couldn't wait to even get these bad boys home (too bad they won't be wet for another year LoL) to snap a pic! #retailtherapy #keepingthedreamalive

IMG-1879.jpg

IMG-1880.jpg
Do yourself a favor and buy a Hydros to control those. I run 4 XF350's and a tunze stream 3 on my 240 at 100% so youre gonna need a lot of those for your tank.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do yourself a favor and buy a Hydros to control those. I run 4 XF350's and a tunze stream 3 on my 240 at 100% so youre gonna need a lot of those for your tank.

Oh trust, there will be more to come for sure! So the Hydros DOES work with the gyres... perfect! I tried to buy both without the maxspect controller but the lfs said you can't use them without it.

Have you had any issues with the Hydros?

Badilac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh trust, there will be more to come for sure! So the Hydros DOES work with the gyres... perfect! I tried to buy both without the maxspect controller but the lfs said you can't use them without it.

Have you had any issues with the Hydros?

Yes it 100% works with the Gyre's just make sure you buy the Gyre pigtails with the Hydros. Also you can purchase the Gyre without the maxspect controller. I purchased 3 of my 4 without controller. Zero issues with the Hydros. I really like the unit easy to use and easy to control, WAY BETTER than the ICV6 from maxspect.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it 100% works with the Gyre's just make sure you buy the Gyre pigtails with the Hydros. Also you can purchase the Gyre without the maxspect controller. I purchased 3 of my 4 without controller. Zero issues with the Hydros. I really like the unit easy to use and easy to control, WAY BETTER than the ICV6 from maxspect.

Thank you for the info, I appreciate it!

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting have you decided stock

Like livestock? Yeah, I have the following stocking list and order in mind once tank is stabilized and auto-feeders are in place:

Stage 1:

Schooling/Movement-
  • Squarespot Anthias Group
  • Blue & Yellow Fusilier Group
Algae Control-
  • Lawnmower Blenny
  • Fowleri Tang
  • White-Tail Bristletooth Tang
  • Yellow Tang
Just Cause-
  • Black Storm Clownfish Pair

Stage 2:

Angels-
  • Majestic Angelfish
  • Potter's Dwarf Angelfish
  • Watanabei Angelfish Pair
  • Zebra Swallowtail Angelfish Pair
Blennies-
  • Forktail Blenny
Butterflies-
  • Mitratus Butterflyfish
Hawks-
  • Flame Hawkfish
  • Longnose Hawkfish
Gobies-
  • Neon Blue Cleaner Goby Gang
Wrasses-
  • Christmas Wrasse
  • Fairy Linneatus Wrasse
  • Golden Wrasse
  • Laboutei Wrasse
  • Quoyi Parrotfish
Stage 3:

More Delicate and/or Needing Established Pods Population-
  • Regal Angelfish
  • Copperband Butterflyfish
  • Ruby Red Dragonet Pair
  • Green Mandarin Pair
  • Bella Sleeper Goby Pair
  • Choati Leopard Wrasse
  • Femininus Wrasse
Stage 4:

Second Round of Tangs
  • Achilles Tang
  • Powder Blue Tang
  • Purple Tang
  • Sailfin Tang

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back