Tip for Fluval Evo 13.5 Owners

chvvkumar

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 4, 2019
Messages
123
Reaction score
87
Location
St. Louis
What state or country do you live in
Missouri
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been tinkering with my Evo while it's cycling and I think I found a good way to improve the skimmer intake. If you turn around the skimmer plastic so that it mounts from within the first chamber, it provides a much better flow pattern for filter floss to catch particles. With stock setup, water sticks to the back wall and slides down the back wall in the first chamber.

This way the skimmer creates a ledge from where water can directly fall onto the filter floss below. I stuffed more floss just above where the water fall converges to reduce splashing noise.

Another benefit is this allows me to route my Koralia Nano's cable straight out of the tank. Instead of having to go around the skimmer.

IMG_20200509_141933 (1).jpg


IMG_20200509_142522.jpg

IMG_20200509_144942.jpg
 
I have been tinkering with my Evo while it's cycling and I think I found a good way to improve the skimmer intake. If you turn around the skimmer plastic so that it mounts from within the first chamber, it provides a much better flow pattern for filter floss to catch particles. With stock setup, water sticks to the back wall and slides down the back wall in the first chamber.

This way the skimmer creates a ledge from where water can directly fall onto the filter floss below. I stuffed more floss just above where the water fall converges to reduce splashing noise.

Another benefit is this allows me to route my Koralia Nano's cable straight out of the tank. Instead of having to go around the skimmer.

IMG_20200509_141933 (1).jpg


IMG_20200509_142522.jpg

IMG_20200509_144942.jpg

Related to the Koralia Nano powerhead you are using, is it 240? is it enough for the 13-g tank?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 9 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 23 19.5%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 31.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new