Tissue loss at tip

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys,

My alk has been pretty much rock solid but i did have some issues with PO4 this month. Could the following cause a bit of tissue loss on the tip of my ASD Rainbow Milli? If so, will it recover as long as PO4 stabilizes? Polyps are out in full and the frag is encrusting nicely!

4694FDD7-B093-42C6-97A8-94540F22CA32.png

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While of course stability is gold, an increase like that I would not suspect. If it were quickly stripped of PO4 I would be more inclined to suspect that.
How long have u had the mili? My personal favorite stick.

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
While of course stability is gold, an increase like that I would not suspect. If it were quickly stripped of PO4 I would be more inclined to suspect that.

About six weeks. Its still on my frag rack. Ill try and get some pics when im home. Like 2 weeks ago it started encrusting like crazy. Then my auto feeder went a bit nuts and everything slowed down and stressed out a bit. Not to mention i missed a water change...

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it keeping good PE after lights out?

Several of my favorite online coral vendors keep their parameters around:
Sg 1.026
ALK 8.5
Ca 450
Mg 1350
NO3 5-10
PO4 .04-.08
78F

Aside from the autofeeder disturbance, do you keep water around these numbers? I make a fairly conscious effort to keep numbers in the ranges that my favorite suppliers do so that acclimation is low stress.

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it keeping good PE after lights out?

Several of my favorite online coral vendors keep their parameters around:
Sg 1.026
ALK 8.5
Ca 450
Mg 1350
NO3 5-10
PO4 .04-.08
78F

Aside from the autofeeder disturbance, do you keep water around these numbers? I make a fairly conscious effort to keep numbers in the ranges that my favorite suppliers do so that acclimation is low stress.

Ya at night it has normal PE. And yes thats about what i try to keep my tank at.

Im currently running at:
35.5 ppt (hanna)
8.9 dkh (im hoping to let it slowly fall to 8.5)(hanna as well)
465 ppm cal (red sea)
mag is somewhere between 1400-1500 ppm (red sea)
5-12 ppm no3 (nyos)
And you can see my po4 above

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Heres a pic. Its not great but the best i can get.
B3093FFA-8FC7-4340-B1B1-8F0544C355A9.jpeg

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK those numbers are solid. I would not let salinity go any higher, but otherwise pretty sweet.

OK was hoping the pic would just show a growth nub sticking out, but yeah there is a little loss there to my eye. Can't tell if it tissue loss or zoox expulsion.

Sorry, more questions:

a) Any potential fish nibbler? A dwarf angel going rogue?

b) light. Any changes? Any sense of PAR? What fixture? LED I imagine?

c) location. any change? Maybe it is just the picture, but it looks like the rack is close to the glass. Was it close to the glass before? The front glass reflects a LOT of light even down low.

Best I have for now. IME it can be hard to track down what is "suddenly" changing the health of a given SPS. Been times when I finally correct something and they respond, that I realize they weren't exhibiting stress but were being stressed for weeks. Until they just could not hack it anymore. LPS are so much more immediately expressive IME. MY duncan throws a tantrum within minutes of me doing something stupid. My SPS brood for a while... then bam.

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK those numbers are solid. I would not let salinity go any higher, but otherwise pretty sweet.

OK was hoping the pic would just show a growth nub sticking out, but yeah there is a little loss there to my eye. Can't tell if it tissue loss or zoox expulsion.

Sorry, more questions:

a) Any potential fish nibbler? A dwarf angel going rogue?

b) light. Any changes? Any sense of PAR? What fixture? LED I imagine?

c) location. any change? Maybe it is just the picture, but it looks like the rack is close to the glass. Was it close to the glass before? The front glass reflects a LOT of light even down low.

Best I have for now. IME it can be hard to track down what is "suddenly" changing the health of a given SPS. Been times when I finally correct something and they respond, that I realize they weren't exhibiting stress but were being stressed for weeks. Until they just could not hack it anymore. LPS are so much more immediately expressive IME. MY duncan throws a tantrum within minutes of me doing something stupid. My SPS brood for a while... then bam.
Ok let me give you the run down haha. Tank is a reefer nano. 25ish total gal. 18 inch cube. I have two mp10 on the back wall higher up running anti synced reef crest with a max of 50% power. I have a radion xr14 pro gen 4 mounted with the rms mount. 2 clowns and a royal gramma.

Now, sorry about the pic, its the best i can do. I shot it through a mag float magnifier. Those 3 frags have been in that spot for the entire time ive had them (about 6-7 weeks). I try to clean the glass by them frequently to prevent reflection of lighting changes because they are pretty close. Id say they are 2-3 inches off the glass. They are about 12 inches from water surface. Nothing bothers them but me...

As far as lighting i totally forgot i made a change last week. Kind of coincides with po4 jump and a missed weekly water change. Ive been running the AB+ SPS spectrum at 70% intensity. What i did was take the max acclimation time of 6 weeks and turned it on. I bumped intensity up to 78% overall but did the math (90%) so that it was starting at 70% (which is where it had been for months). So basically lighting is increasing 8% overall over the next 6 weeks. I think im a week in at this point. I really have no idea what par is other than what i gathered from a BRS investigates video. From what i speculate i was on the lower end for sps with my 70%... maybe not...

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got nothing. You are following pretty much the same playbook I would in that size.

All I can suggest is less light for stressed SPS in the absence of PAR numbers. I like your lighting choice for the long run. Someday that rainbow will love it.

How many hours at max light?

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well I got nothing. You are following pretty much the same playbook I would in that size.

All I can suggest is less light for stressed SPS in the absence of PAR numbers. I like your lighting choice for the long run. Someday that rainbow will love it.

Thanks for your help. i tried to go all out on this tank. Honestly i think an xr30 would be primo on just because it would have full coverage and eliminate any shadows at half the intensity. But that costs as much as i spent on the tank! Im running it 10 hours a day with an hour ramp up and ramp down. So peak 8 hours. Honestly the tank looks much better today. I did my weekly Wednesday water change! I will be sure not to skip one again! With this small tank its proving necessary to change 5 gal a week!

OP
OP
infinite0180

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I turned off the acclimation and put the lighting to 71%... ill watch carefully and see how things go. Every time i think im ready to crank up the lighting i kill stuff. Maybe i should rent a par meter and see whats going on here...

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back