To BTA or not?

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been really liking some of the designer BTAs out there (black widow has my attention) but I am having trouble deciding if I should get one. See a photo of my 45G below. My main concern is it killing my other corals I already have, especially if it moves when I am on vacation at some point where I can’t move it. Is this much of a risk? Granted, I’m posting in the nem section so expect some preference for these but just trying to decide if I should stick with Euphyllia corals or try a nem.

439D7DB4-5E84-4AA4-9423-CF93F7A6521F.jpeg

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved my bta, but i was constantly worrying about it to the point it became a nuisance. Many people have them with success, but you will always run the risk of them stinging your prized corals. Mine stayed in the same area for months then one day it just upped and moved.

rirun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my first rbta about 3-4 months ago from my LFS. Put it on its own island and it hasn’t moved from the spot I placed it.
I trade for another one from a local reefer and it moved all over for about 4-5 days and finally settled in on its own.
I had all my corals temp mounted on my rock so I could move any that might get stung. Since it’s been a month with both nems in the tank, I’ve started to glue the frags. I know I just jinxed myself but you have to bite the bullet sooner or later.

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat as you. I really want to pull the trigger on a BTA in my IM Nuvo 40 but I'm worried it will move around and sting my corals or worse crawl into one of my powerheads. In the end I think I'm going to show some restraint for once in this hobby and not take the plunge because I think the risk outweighs the reward for me. If I ever upgrade tanks I may repurpose this tank into an anemone tank to scratch that itch.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat as you. I really want to pull the trigger on a BTA in my IM Nuvo 40 but I'm worried it will move around and sting my corals or worse crawl into one of my powerheads. In the end I think I'm going to show some restraint for once in this hobby and not take the plunge because I think the risk outweighs the reward for me. If I ever upgrade tanks I may repurpose this tank into an anemone tank to scratch that itch.
I’m leaning towards a new torch (since the one I just got in isn’t doing too well). I already have the itch for a Watwebox 130.4 or a reefer 425/525. Might just wait until I upgrade and then with the more space I can make an anemone friendly portion of the tank.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put it on an "island rock" it won't be able roam the tank, problem solved. Leave two inches between the island rock and any neighboring rocks or the side of the tank.

rirun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could work. Would just need to see about rescaping a bit.
My lfs told me the same when I bought my first. I’ve had luck with it staying on its island. The second walked over a second island the first day I had it. I woke up the next morning and it was on my main structure.

RunBikeSwim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you put it on an "island rock" it won't be able roam the tank, problem solved. Leave two inches between the island rock and any neighboring rocks or the side of the tank.
This is wishful thinking. If it wants to move, it will detach and move (float or walk away). If you prize your corals, do not get an anemone. BTA will move, just a matter of time.

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A BTA only tank + your fish would work. But they will always be at least a minor threat to your corals, or to detach and float into a power head, getting shredded and potentially poisoning your tank.

OP
OP
L

Letterkenny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have the one tank currently so I plan on just keeping corals. Might give it a bit of a risk if I can upgrade to a 48” tank down the road where I could have some more separation but we will see.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is wishful thinking. If it wants to move, it will detach and move (float or walk away). If you prize your corals, do not get an anemone. BTA will move, just a matter of time.
No, I'm not into wishful thinking, but rather it has been my experience over the years. The "rock island" method has worked well for me. Obviously, your mileage may vary. But it is hard for me to imagine an RBTA completely detaching and floating around. Your tank conditions must have been horrific !?

RunBikeSwim

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I'm not into wishful thinking, but rather it has been my experience over the years. The "rock island" method has worked well for me. Obviously, your mileage may vary. But it is hard for me to imagine an RBTA completely detaching and floating around. Your tank conditions must have been horrific !?
Your imagination will surprise you one day. Best of luck to you. Yes, all of us with “floating/walking” BTAs have horrific tank conditions.

sarcophytonIndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your imagination will surprise you one day. Best of luck to you. Yes, all of us with “floating/walking” BTAs have horrific tank conditions.
Sorry, no offense, but I couldn't resist. I never actually suspected that you had poor water conditions, nor RBTAs floating around your tank :)

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It won't matter where you put it, if it's not happy where it is it will move over sand on the glass it doesn't matter. You also have to worry about splitting and then you're dealing with more than one. I started with one and wound up with five after the splits. I set up an anemone tank to move them to.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 37.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 11 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back