To re-pipe or not??

ziggyjane07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, so smy 525XL that I am attempting to give a good clean out to is going well in the actual tank itself, not so underneath as yet, but I thought before I get to far ahead, I should just check for any leaks. So I filled the overflow box in my 525xl tank to see if no 1.) the 3 pipes that are in a 525xl reefer are in properly and not leaking - which I think they are fine? but no.2) to check the pipes in the sump area to see if there is any leaking there.
As I pour water into it there seems to be a tiny leak where the joins are in the pipes.
I have attached a photo, and circled where there is minor leaking. Should I just bite the bullet and repipe or is it possible I have not put in correctly?
I just don’t want to get to far ahead and then I have a massive blowout with the water, because I should have just repiped.

If the consenses is to repipe has anyone got any pics of a similar set up or just redo? Keeping in mind I don’t quite understand everything and the workings as yet.
Thanks so much everyone
any advice would be very much appreciated #reefsquad

1E83E918-1D5C-46DF-9693-F3DE89418533.jpeg

Last edited:

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very common leak spot. Is it the fitting that goes to bulkhead? Also it could of been good but the weight of the pipes can cause a leak too. Good idea to strap them. The actual bulkhead? Sometimes they just need to be tightened the unions and the bulkhead. Good to check those first. I do think I see water coming from the union on the left. Cant see where on right.

OP
OP
Z

ziggyjane07

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very common leak spot. Is it the fitting that goes to bulkhead? Also it could of been good but the weight of the pipes can cause a leak too. Good idea to strap them. The actual bulkhead? Sometimes they just need to be tightened the unions and the bulkhead. Good to check those first. I do think I see water coming from the union on the left. Cant see where on right.
Thank you @DrZoidburg . Yes I thought there should have been something to hold the weight, but then I thought maybe thats just how they were. I’m a real beginner and don’t know any reefing enthusiasts to guide me.
The fittings go to the bulk head but the leaking doesn’t seem to be at the bulkhead point, it appears to be leaking from the actual pipes. I can’t really tell? That’s why I wasn’t sure do I re plumb the whole lot, i don’t know what to expect and I’m worried water will just explode through or once I fill up the tank if it leaks even a little a bit it’s probably just gonna be one big mess and destroy the cabinet also

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot has to do with how much time and effort you want to put into it. Note that if it is a very, very tiny leak you are dealing with at those joints-- say about a drop every 10 seconds or so-- in a few days 'salt creep' may seal it up. Of course, it looks as if those pipe joint are over the sump itself (?), which would be good because salt will occasionally break off and fall downwards.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back