To vacuum the sand bed or not

BARNAKEWLZ

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 3, 2016
Messages
605
Reaction score
574
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am having a hard time deciding weather I should be vacuuming the 2" sand bed in my 24 gal mixed reef. I worked hard at keeping the rock work with minimal contact with the sand to prevent build up and I also have 4 lightly powered wave pumps to keep the water movement going evenly (oppose to 1 powerful fan) but as time goes on I have some mysteries that I would like some opinions on. Should I stir the sand up? Should I vacuum it? I keep getting mixed ideas. Sand is good for the bacteria.. Sand collects nitrates.. I'm torn.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 11 45.8%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 4.2%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 8.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new