Toad Stool Issue

Kunala6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a group of Toad Stool Coral, well I think they are Toad Stools. I had them in my tank for over a couple years. They use to cover the rock
work, but lately all except one has shrunk and they have stringy substance on them as if they are stressed. Initially I thought it was my Maroon Clown
trying to host them as she use to do in the past until I got her an anemone, I haven't seen her there since. I also recently got an ice cap gyre 3k which
run every 8 hrs at 20% for 10 minutes. I thought this could be the issue but one toad stool is just fine so I don't think it's the water flow. My water parameters
are good too, as far as ammonia, nitrite, & nitrates. My other corals are also flourishing, all soft coral and one chalice. I have been using Seachem Trace and Plus,
alternating every other day. I also use Tropic Marine All for Reef without any issue in conjunction with Trace and Plus everyday. I also spot feed all my
corals every other day when I use Seachem Plus. I feed the a mix of BeneReef and Reef Riods. I haven't changed anything I can think of in terms of additives.I do water
changes every other week as usual. I am not sure what I am missing. I have attached a picture unfortunately I could not get it to focus correctly. Any Ideas?
Thank You

20190719_111217.jpg

OP
OP
K

Kunala6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They don't look unhappy. Are they shrinking?
Ya they did, use to be as big maybe bigger than the one on the very top. They covered that branching rock so much you couldn't even see it.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say "water parameters are good", what are they? Do you use RO/DI water?

Oh and welcome to reef2reef!

OP
OP
K

Kunala6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say "water parameters are good", what are they? Do you use RO/DI water?

Oh and welcome to reef2reef!
I have 0 ammonia & nitrites. My nitrates are up between 10 & 20ppm. The nitrates have been like that for years before I was putting coral in it, and since everything was going fine I didn't want to chase numbers and have it crash. I do use RO/DI water, changing the cartridges as needed. My ph is kept between 8.0 and 8.3.

OP
OP
K

Kunala6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has something changes recently? Flow, lighting, lack of, or a large water change?
Nothing really, water changes have been consistent. I added a gyre but that was after this so I don't think it's. I haven't changed lighting either.

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this what you re referring to? 100% mushrooms

20190720_095304.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kunala6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20190720_100931.jpg

IMG_20190720_100912.jpg

My monsters. The one you see, there's a sister behind it almost as big. They can grow to epic proportions.
Comparing mine to these I don't think mine are mushrooms, they never had a stem always laid flat on the rock.

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think they are mushrooms.
Please take my advise in saying they are not toadstools. They are mushrooms. Look at the photos @Brittany Marie posted.

NOT TO BE RUDE BUT

IF you were told they were toadstools you were advised wrong and I suggest not to get other livestock from that person.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 75 48.1%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back