Those are green hairy mushrooms.
Ill need you to fill out the following:
Calcium:
Mag:
Alk:
Nitrates:
Phos:
SG:
Also, when you add new things to your tank, do you dump the water into your tank?
Mushrooms are pretty hardy, they duplicate like no tomorrow and tend to open even in the dirtiest of waters. However, you must keep in mind that mushrooms are a very hardy Anemone.

Have you done a water change recently? Do you dose carbon, gfo?

scobeyra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green hair mushrooms

1cc59c178facbd737cd618a803916960.jpg

Toadstools

643947eff6dca2553d5cc5f9db84a7ae.jpg

You can see from my full tank shot that the mushrooms are high up in the tank. All my other shrooms are down low with less flow but for some reason the green hairy shrooms like higher light and higher flow. Had them low in the tank before and they did just what yours are doing, which is shrink and separate from each other.

4fe55ba4fa3bfad8211251dd9f17c361.jpg

OP
OP
K

Kunala6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, so lets start from the beginning.
Those are green hairy mushrooms.
Ill need you to fill out the following:
Calcium:
Mag:
Alk:
Nitrates:
Phos:
SG:
Also, when you add new things to your tank, do you dump the water into your tank?
Mushrooms are pretty hardy, they duplicate like no tomorrow and tend to open even in the dirtiest of waters. However, you must keep in mind that mushrooms are a very hardy Anemone.

Have you done a water change recently? Do you dose carbon, gfo?

I did a water change a week ago.
I do one every other week I do not dose carbon or use gfo.
Calcium: 430
Mag: 1300
Alk: 9
Nitrates: 20 ppm (this has always been where my nitrates stay, even when the mushroom were thriving, at one point they were in th 40s to 60s, and no adverse effect that was almost 6 month ago maybe longer.)
Phos: undetectable.
SG: 1.023

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so youll want to get the water just a tad bit more dirty, you need some phos as well as bring up your salinity to 1.025-1.026.

Soft Coral love dirty water. Apart from that they also need food, so theyll feed off phos and nitrate, other than the food you give them(which for soft coral other than shrooms dont really need to be fed.. shrooms are optional aswell.)

OP
OP
K

Kunala6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so youll want to get the water just a tad bit more dirty, you need some phos as well as bring up your salinity to 1.025-1.026.

Soft Coral love dirty water. Apart from that they also need food, so theyll feed off phos and nitrate, other than the food you give them(which for soft coral other than shrooms dont really need to be fed.. shrooms are optional aswell.)
I always had problems growing green star polyps, and when I asked everyone told me the same. My water is "too clean". I got these mushroom and they started to spread like crazy, I had them for over a year or so now. It's been over a month that they started acting like this. I am leaning more towards phosphates, I am also having trouble growing any sort of macro algae, it always disintegrates in my sump, I have tried different flow patterns, different lights and light cycle, from 24x7 to 8 hours a day. I have nitrates, how do I add phosphates?

OP
OP
K

Kunala6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My shrooms (all my corals really) love reef roids. I recommend that, the booster, and I use brightwell koral color
I will have to try Brightwell. I use reef roids, but I notice mine like Benereef, actually all my corals do, I get the best reaction from it.

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always had problems growing green star polyps, and when I asked everyone told me the same. My water is "too clean". I got these mushroom and they started to spread like crazy, I had them for over a year or so now. It's been over a month that they started acting like this. I am leaning more towards phosphates, I am also having trouble growing any sort of macro algae, it always disintegrates in my sump, I have tried different flow patterns, different lights and light cycle, from 24x7 to 8 hours a day. I have nitrates, how do I add phosphates?
feed more, what kind of food do you feed?

OP
OP
K

Kunala6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
feed more, what kind of food do you feed?
I feed the corals Reef Roids and Benereef every other day.
My fish I feed frozen mostly San Franciso Bay Brand Saltwater pack every other day,
and Ocean Nutrition flakes on the days I do not feed the corals and the frozen food.

PYRU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green hair mushrooms

1cc59c178facbd737cd618a803916960.jpg

Toadstools

643947eff6dca2553d5cc5f9db84a7ae.jpg

You can see from my full tank shot that the mushrooms are high up in the tank. All my other shrooms are down low with less flow but for some reason the green hairy shrooms like higher light and higher flow. Had them low in the tank before and they did just what yours are doing, which is shrink and separate from each other.

4fe55ba4fa3bfad8211251dd9f17c361.jpg

Good to know. These are on my list. I'm not the best with ciral placement. Nice tank

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed the corals Reef Roids and Benereef every other day.
My fish I feed frozen mostly San Franciso Bay Brand Saltwater pack every other day,
and Ocean Nutrition flakes on the days I do not feed the corals and the frozen food.
reef roids yet no phosphates?? thats weird

scobeyra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your pics, my guess is that it's a light issue. The shrooms highest on the rock seem to be doing the best, but they still look like they're reaching for the light. Mushrooms typically lay flat, if you can see the foot stretched up like that, it's trying get higher up for more light. The others are slowly starving. Move them up towards the top of the tank and see if that helps.

OP
OP
K

Kunala6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking at your pics, my guess is that it's a light issue. The shrooms highest on the rock seem to be doing the best, but they still look like they're reaching for the light. Mushrooms typically lay flat, if you can see the foot stretched up like that, it's trying get higher up for more light. The others are slowly starving. Move them up towards the top of the tank and see if that helps.
Ok, I will have to try and move up or increase the lighting, but they have been in the same spot since
I got them probably coming close to a year now, and they were thrive and growing. Is it possible that
I feed them too much coral food? I don't think I do but I wonder if it possible.

Kodock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toadstool: selfish, low to moderate flow, low to moderate par, thrive with a lot of nutrients - the only thing that ever ticked mine off was when I changed salts.

A8B02006-5F08-45EF-AA20-F12C8ADEFC7A.jpeg
A8B02006-5F08-45EF-AA20-F12C8ADEFC7A.jpeg

scobeyra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I will have to try and move up or increase the lighting, but they have been in the same spot since
I got them probably coming close to a year now, and they were thrive and growing. Is it possible that
I feed them too much coral food? I don't think I do but I wonder if it possible.

Yeah maybe stop feeding for a bit and see what happens. I typically don't feed mine often. Once a month at most.

OP
OP
K

Kunala6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ending up breaking down the tank, we had a pipe burst in our house so we are renovating the
room the aquarium is in. While I am here I plan on getting a new system leaning more towards a planet aquarium, or seapora rimless 100 gallons. I still have all my live stock and rock, all in bins. Any advice for when I start a new system.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.5%
Back