Toadstool leather not opening

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought toadstool leather coral from live aquaria over a year ago. For the first few months it did it's thing where the green polyps would come out for a few weeks and then wax over. Within a few days to a week the wax would blow off and the polyps would come back out for it's next cycle. After about 3-4 months the polyps stopped coming out all together and it's no longer waxing over.

Not one to over-correct I prefer to let the reef work itself out since the acans, candycane, mushrooms and zoas all look fine.

About 6 months ago I moved it into a higher flow area (medium flow), but nothing has changed. It gets its little spikes like the polyps want to come out, but they never do. My prams seem to all be in check (for what I'm testing). Could this be an issue with to high of light? I don't want to do guess work for a leather when the acans and canes are looking great. I have the 100g waterbox with 2 AI 23HD Hydras. I did start dosing vibrant once per month in between my monthly water change, but that's the only thing I dose.

Does anyone have any ideas? Here are my parameters. (based on API kits)

Temp: 73 - 74 degrees F... (I live in FL so no need for heaters or chillers to keep a constant temp)
Salinity: 1.024
pH: 8.2 - 8.4(ish)
Alk: Don't test or dose because of so few hard corals
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0 (I have some algae so I know there's some, but undetectable on a test)
Calc: Don't test or dose because of so few hard corals
Mag: Don't test or dose because of so few hard corals
Iodine: Don't test or dose
Stronium: Don't test or dose (does anyone who uses good salt. lol)

OP
OP
DrufusReef

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought toadstool leather coral from live aquaria over a year ago. For the first few months it did it's thing where the green polyps would come out for a few weeks and then wax over. Within a few days to a week the wax would blow off and the polyps would come back out for it's next cycle. After about 3-4 months the polyps stopped coming out all together and it's no longer waxing over.

Not one to over-correct I prefer to let the reef work itself out since the acans, candycane, mushrooms and zoas all look fine.

About 6 months ago I moved it into a higher flow area (medium flow), but nothing has changed. It gets its little spikes like the polyps want to come out, but they never do. My prams seem to all be in check (for what I'm testing). Could this be an issue with to high of light? I don't want to do guess work for a leather when the acans and canes are looking great. I have the 100g waterbox with 2 AI 23HD Hydras. I did start dosing vibrant once per month in between my monthly water change, but that's the only thing I dose.

Does anyone have any ideas? Here are my parameters. (based on API kits)

Temp: 73 - 74 degrees F... (I live in FL so no need for heaters or chillers to keep a constant temp)
Salinity: 1.024
pH: 8.2 - 8.4(ish)
Alk: Don't test or dose because of so few hard corals
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0 (I have some algae so I know there's some, but undetectable on a test)
Calc: Don't test or dose because of so few hard corals
Mag: Don't test or dose because of so few hard corals
Iodine: Don't test or dose
Stronium: Don't test or dose (does anyone who uses good salt.
Sorry for all the blues with the cell pic, but here's the devil's hand

Attachments

• PXL_20220622_015431262.jpg
    PXL_20220622_015431262.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 40

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*I don't know if the parameters below are the problem, but here are my suggestions

I'd slowly raise the temp and salinity. I'm in Houston, so I understand the idea of not using a heater, but unless you keep your home at 77-80 degrees, then I recommend you have one as most of the coral (and fish) we keep are used to 76-80 degree waters.

Salinity is a little low as well, I'd aim for 1.026.

OP
OP
DrufusReef

DrufusReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*I don't know if the parameters below are the problem, but here are my suggestions

I'd slowly raise the temp and salinity. I'm in Houston, so I understand the idea of not using a heater, but unless you keep your home at 77-80 degrees, then I recommend you have one as most of the coral (and fish) we keep are used to 76-80 degree waters.

Salinity is a little low as well, I'd aim for 1.026.
Makes total since. I'd just hate to raise the temp just for a leather though since everything else is looking good. I will definitely be raising the salinity. I try to keep it between .025 and .026. It's just a little lower after the last water change.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 16 24.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back