Toadstool Problem - Perhaps?

Leonard Sixt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My toadstool is almost a year old and water parameters hasn't changed much at all over time.

Lately however, I've needed to treat the tank with chemi-clean to deal with cyano - maybe two times over the last six months.

Each time the toadstool polyps retracted during treatment, then would take some time to come out after treatment and massive water changes.

Haven't done a cyano treatment for about 6-8 weeks now and the toadstool polyps are out but not near what they had been prior to any treatments.

Not sure if the treatments or something else is having an effect on him. Or, if it's just a "stage" he is going through?

Any thoughts?

All other corals seem to be OK.... mostly soft corals. In fact only soft corals.

JKDMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i havent used chemi-clean but my advice would be run a couple bags of carbon to remove any remaining chemicals. Then try to figure out the cause of the cyano. If it wasnt there before and now it is, something is feeding it. hows the cyano now if you havent treated the ank in a few months? have you tried bacterial dosing? im fighting a littel bit of dinos right now and microbacter clean is helping me, im also reducing skimming and letting nitrate and phosphate increase slightly. my toadstool is pretty happy. if polyps are retracting its not liking it . obv you have to address cyano, but i always look for the simplest fix

tankstudy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toadstool polyps retract from time to time. Mine does it a regular basis even without the introduction of things.

Just continue to observe it if your parameters are fine. If it becomes limp or starts disintegrating/falling apart, that means something is wrong with your water.

JKDMan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toadstool polyps retract from time to time. Mine does it a regular basis even without the introduction of things.

Just continue to observe it if your parameters are fine. If it becomes limp or starts disintegrating/falling apart, that means something is wrong with your water.
same mine retrace several time s throughout the day and come back out

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 168 62.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 70 25.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 93 34.4%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 46 17.0%
  • Other

Votes: 70 25.9%
Back