Tomato clown or snowflake eel first?

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon tank that’s set up and I was just curious as to whether or not I should add a pair of tomato clowns with a bta and let them settle and pair with the anemone or add the snowflake first. I have the snowflake in a smaller tank. The snowflake is about 10”-12”

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a difficult question to answer. I don't know anyone who has kept a snowflake (moray) eel with clownfish in a tank? The eel might find the Tomato clowns delicious if he finds them away from the anemone at night, but if the clowns are hunkered down sleeping in the bta they might be safe from predation?

I have a pair of Tomato clowns. I happened to turn on the lights early today and they were hunkered down nicely in their bta. They decided to bite me while I was working in the tank, they seem to be protecting eggs again? Because these fish are so territorial I think I might add the eel first and let him find a place to hide and then add the nem and clowns at the other end of the tank to keep them separated as much as possible at first.

If your clowns get eaten hit me up, mine have been acting up lately and it's getting old. :)

OP
OP
2manyideas

2manyideas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a difficult question to answer. I don't know anyone who has kept a snowflake (moray) eel with clownfish in a tank? The eel might find the Tomato clowns delicious if he finds them away from the anemone at night, but if the clowns are hunkered down sleeping in the bta they might be safe from predation?

I have a pair of Tomato clowns. I happened to turn on the lights early today and they were hunkered down nicely in their bta. They decided to bite me while I was working in the tank, they seem to be protecting eggs again? Because these fish are so territorial I think I might add the eel first and let him find a place to hide and then add the nem and clowns at the other end of the tank to keep them separated as much as possible at first.

If your clowns get eaten hit me up, mine have been acting up lately and it's getting old. :)
Well, the tank is taller than it is wide. I’d have to put the clowns and nems higher. I have a build thread on the tank. How much are you getting rid of the clowns and nem for

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the tank is taller than it is wide. I’d have to put the clowns and nems higher. I have a build thread on the tank. How much are you getting rid of the clowns and nem for
I bought those two clowns at least 7 years ago. They killed their first nem and I just recently got them a crazy high dollar replacement nem that I hope will split. All splits go back to my buddies LFS to support the hobby, so I probably will not let them go even if they keep on biting. They are actually trained pretty good. I used to chase them around the tank with a net or my hand when they would bite me and they have actually learned to bite softly, but it still makes me jump. They had not bitten in many years but the damsels went and spawned and started charging/ nipping, and defending the tank over the last month. The clowns have also started showing more aggression at the same time. I am wondering if they are helping defend the damsels nest?

Long answer, they are kind of pets at this point but I talk bad about them when they start charging and nipping at the hand that feeds. :)

Back