Tonya's 210 Gallon

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
210 in place.jpg

We moved it to its permanent location. Don't worry folks it is farther from the fireplace than it looks. Also, I live in AZ -- we don't use the fireplace and the twice a year we do, it is with a fire log. The heat won't hurt the tank.

We are in AZ also and completely blocked out our fireplace with our tank. Figured since in 7 years I’ve never lit a fire it was a safe decision!
Looks nice! Good luck with your build.

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are in AZ also and completely blocked out our fireplace with our tank. Figured since in 7 years I’ve never lit a fire it was a safe decision!
Looks nice! Good luck with your build.
Always good to see a fellow desert rat on the forum. :) I took a peek at your tank build. It is wonderful.

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a story girl -- I like to know how people do things and why. I just don't want to see the development of your clown fish/anemone tank, but why it appeals to you. I have a story of why I have a 210. I have a similar post on a different thread. But I think it should be included somewhere here.

I had a 60 gallon tank for over a year. It was started as a reef tank, but I realized that that I wanted a bigger tank, so I started saving for it. My frags basically sat at the bottom of my 60 gal for a few months. I really wanted the Red Sea 750 XXL. I wanted it in white (mostly because of salt splatter). So I started saving. Now, we had a camper that we had been using for many years. It was wonderful, but my kids are now teenagers and we don't get out like we used to because life is crazy. My husband had been pushing for us to sell it. He wanted to go away for weekends to cabins or Disney Land etc, instead of housing the big camper, paying insurance on it, replacing batteries and basically maintaining it for it to be used infrequently. I said "no". I still loved camping with my boys. But I had an Achilles heel. And my husband found it. ;) He called me at work and said, if I was willing to sell the camper, I could keep everything from the sale and use it towards my big tank. I didn't even blink...I said definitely. So we sold it and I had a fist full of cash. We walked into the LFS and I was ready to order my Red Sea Reefer. However... There was a sale going on... A big one. I could get the 210 plus stand for really, really cheap. I could buy the 210, supplies, and still have money left over. So that is what I did. I moved everything over from my 60. I temporarily attached my canister filter that was on my 60 gal and placed it on the 210 for a few weeks -- because of this and the already cycled rock it was a quick cycle because I already had an established tank. I think I made the right choice by buying the 210. By purchasing and setting everything up myself, I learned more about my system and how it works. I've learned more in the last few months than I did my first year with my 60 gallon tank -- mostly I've learned that I need to learn more. This has been fun and may be my most rewarding hobby in the last twenty years.

marco fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a story girl -- I like to know how people do things and why. I just don't want to see the development of your clown fish/anemone tank, but why it appeals to you. I have a story of why I have a 210. I have a similar post on a different thread. But I think it should be included somewhere here.

I had a 60 gallon tank for over a year. It was started as a reef tank, but I realized that that I wanted a bigger tank, so I started saving for it. My frags basically sat at the bottom of my 60 gal for a few months. I really wanted the Red Sea 750 XXL. I wanted it in white (mostly because of salt splatter). So I started saving. Now, we had a camper that we had been using for many years. It was wonderful, but my kids are now teenagers and we don't get out like we used to because life is crazy. My husband had been pushing for us to sell it. He wanted to go away for weekends to cabins or Disney Land etc, instead of housing the big camper, paying insurance on it, replacing batteries and basically maintaining it for it to be used infrequently. I said "no". I still loved camping with my boys. But I had an Achilles heel. And my husband found it. ;) He called me at work and said, if I was willing to sell the camper, I could keep everything from the sale and use it towards my big tank. I didn't even blink...I said definitely. So we sold it and I had a fist full of cash. We walked into the LFS and I was ready to order my Red Sea Reefer. However... There was a sale going on... A big one. I could get the 210 plus stand for really, really cheap. I could buy the 210, supplies, and still have money left over. So that is what I did. I moved everything over from my 60. I temporarily attached my canister filter that was on my 60 gal and placed it on the 210 for a few weeks -- because of this and the already cycled rock it was a quick cycle because I already had an established tank. I think I made the right choice by buying the 210. By purchasing and setting everything up myself, I learned more about my system and how it works. I've learned more in the last few months than I did my first year with my 60 gallon tank -- mostly I've learned that I need to learn more. This has been fun and may be my most rewarding hobby in the last twenty years.
I like stories and you tell them well!!! I love the aquascape, great luck to you with your build. I’ll be following as well :)

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE="Katrina71, post: 5625943, member: 80776"Hey I saw your post about your firefish...some people say they live together fine and some people say only mated pairs do. What do you think?[/QUOTE]
Mine have been doing fine -- but I put them together at once. There was a sale on fire fish at my lfs for $5.00 each. We could purchase a maximum of three fish. So I bought all three. This was about six months ago and they were originally in my 60 gal. The were recently moved to my 210. They actually school and hang out together.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Lovely story.
I am following now for more

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved my rose tipped bubble anemone to a quarantine tank. Mostly because I know it is sick, and I don't want it blowing toxins all over my tank. Here is my anemone thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sick-anemone.545894/ . I really do hope it lives. But at this point I doubt it. Back in the 90's I had anemones that were strong and healthy. I bought them right away and placed them in my tanks. Now, I'm finding out that I should wait before I purchase one. I swear, I didn't know this. Life can be confusing in the reefing world. I'm just doing my best. Here is a current photo of my rtba. He has been gorgeous for weeks.
Sick Anemone Jan 19.jpg

Sick Anemone Jan 19.jpg

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have moved my rose tipped bubble anemone to a quarantine tank. Mostly because I know it is sick, and I don't want it blowing toxins all over my tank. Here is my anemone thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sick-anemone.545894/ . I really do hope it lives. But at this point I doubt it. Back in the 90's I had anemones that were strong and healthy. I bought them right away and placed them in my tanks. Now, I'm finding out that I should wait before I purchase one. I swear, I didn't know this. Life can be confusing in the reefing world. I'm just doing my best. Here is a current photo of my rtba. He has been gorgeous for weeks.
Sick Anemone Jan 19.jpg

Sick Anemone Jan 19.jpg

Bummer. Hope it finds a way to pull through. Funny, in the 90s my reef seemed easy. It was approached as an experiment. Now with information overload and excessive planning, I sometimes make it more challenging than it needs to be. Still happy with my reef, but it feels a lot different this go around. Of course, I am older and more of a curmudgeon too.

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went the my first AZ FRAG meeting yesterday. There was a wonderful presentation about making your own fish food. (I got to pull the head off of a squid. :D) I sat at a table with strangers -- nice guys. My tank was the small one. ;Jawdrop I can't wait for the meeting next month.

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like an awesome time! A little jealous no groups close by me to join in yet anyway.
Do you see yourself making your own food instead if buying or maybe a combo if both?

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like an awesome time! A little jealous no groups close by me to join in yet anyway.
Do you see yourself making your own food instead if buying or maybe a combo if both?
Hi @Raege ! I'm definitely going to try it. I think it all depends both on how messy it is and how time consuming. You have to pull out the ink sacs and cartilage from every squid and octopus (if you use this guy's recipe). It was fun to do. I brought some of the food home and my fish gobbled it up this morning.

Cthehentz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I've learned about this tank and future tanks (so far).
#1 -- I'm going to be getting a new sump. Maybe not soon, but eventually. The model I purchased (ESHOPPS R-300) has the return pump in the back. I have to get on my hands and knees and stick my head way in the back of the stand to check it out. You do this a couple times and you realize the mistake. I'm either going with a different model or am making my own -- will decide that in the future. For now it works.
#2 -- I am 5'5" tall. I cannot reach the bottom of the display tank -- even when I stand on a step stool. I have grabbers I use, but they do not pick up rocks well. Because I can't reach the bottom, I have to pull out the rocks to glue on the corals instead of placing them in the tank. There is no way I can reach down that far without a snorkel. If I did it again, I would have gone with a smaller tank height. Although I do love the size when I'm not submerged.

Cthehentz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this exact tank, last year my 40 breeder sump went south and I bought eshopps R300 sump so I agree with the bad design putting the return in the back. I am running a Vectra L1 that barely fit but now that everything is dialed in and unions are installed it is a little easier to access.

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this exact tank, last year my 40 breeder sump went south and I bought eshopps R300 sump so I agree with the bad design putting the return in the back. I am running a Vectra L1 that barely fit but now that everything is dialed in and unions are installed it is a little easier to access.
I just looked for your build thread -- but I don't see one. I need to make a point to stay in touch with you. Great minds seem to think alike. :)

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On Saturday, I sold my 48" LED. Yesterday, a friend offered me her 90 gal (in great shape) for free. Ugh! Figures. I'll eventually set it up as a FOWLR tank -- maybe a few aggressive fish. I need more supplies for my 210 first, so this may be a year from now. So now I get to tell my husband to make room in the garage for a four foot tank. ;) We don't have basements in AZ (at least most houses) so storage is valuable.

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to have to explain to my children that they can't go to college after the WWC/R2R sale over the weekend. It is a good thing they are attractive children. They will have to coast by on their looks from now on, because education is no longer an issue due to all the money I spent on corals. ;)

On another note, I purchased a purple tang on Friday. I've been wanting one for twenty years and he is one of the reasons I purchased a 210. Photos forthcoming. I couldn't get a decent pic.

Back