OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ammonia is still up there (.25) despite the water changes over the last month. I dumped some bacteria in this morning. My duncan -- who I thought was the champion of my tank and thrived through anything, has been looking withered since Saturday's water change. He was the first frag I purchased when I started up reefing again a couple years ago. He is normally gorgeous. Everybody else looks good -- although one of my hammers is still on the edge. My other one looks happy and healthy. I've been battling dinos since I was ill last summer. I hope this works. I'll be out of town over the next few days. I hope nothing dies. I was hoping to buy some corals on sale this weekend, but until I can get my ammonia under control, I'll have to wait. Lesson learned...don't get sick for three months and neglect your tank. Sigh. Well...that is Tonya's drama for the morning. To end this on a positive note, I get to see my brothers and their families who live out of state this weekend. I've missed them terribly and I'm very excited. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. ;Happy

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a bad, bad tank owner. I ordered off of Liveaquaria today and I don't have my parameters where I want them. I have a few weeks to get everything in order, but I'd rather have my tests looking good before I hit "submit order". Let's keep our fingers crossed. Oh...I adjusted my gyre and my Duncan is back all fluffy and gorgeous. He obviously didn't like the flow and was sure to tell me about it. I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving. I know I did.

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the ammonia?
Still at .25 -- I'm going the frequent water change route along with tossing bacteria and carbon in. I'm going to be more aggressive. I've been hoping that regular maintenance and cutting back on feeding would solve the problem over time. This is going to take extra muscle.

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using on ammonia? Is it close to expiry date?
API -- no clue about expiration date. I use API for nitrates and ammonia. But I do know that I've had the kit for awhile. I keep the test kits in a plastic container -- so I don't have the original box. It has the lot number printed on the bottles but I don't see a use by date. Perhaps I should go shopping. Plus you give me another reason to make purchases for my tank. ;)

14 foot reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API -- no clue about expiration date. I use API for nitrates and ammonia. But I do know that I've had the kit for awhile. I keep the test kits in a plastic container -- so I don't have the original box. It has the lot number printed on the bottles but I don't see a use by date. Perhaps I should go shopping. Plus you give me another reason to make purchases for my tank. ;)
API ............ There is your problem. Known issue. Do google search or a reef2reef search on this.

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API ............ There is your problem. Known issue. Do google search or a reef2reef search on this.
Thank you. I use Salifert for everything else, but I've never really worried about API for nitrates and ammonia. Perhaps I should reconsider.

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it strange to just hover at the ,25 ammonia reading especially after adding bottle of bacteria. Your tanks maturity without a major die off should be stable on ammonia. Hope ya remember a back up test kit as your browsing the LFS :p Look forward to seeing what catches your eye

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it strange to just hover at the ,25 ammonia reading especially after adding bottle of bacteria. Your tanks maturity without a major die off should be stable on ammonia. Hope ya remember a back up test kit as your browsing the LFS :p Look forward to seeing what catches your eye
I haven't been able to figure it out. I think you are right about the test kit. I'm glad you thought of it -- in some ways, I'm relieved. I'm far from OCD when it comes to tank parameters, but I do maintain the tank and try to keep everything within range. So this has be irking me. I had to work today so I'll be hopping over to my lfs tomorrow. If my new ammonia test says I'm in the clear, I'm going to hit those cyber coral sales so quick, it will make your head spin. :D

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on my day...Sorry folks. So far I have wondered about my ammonia. I went to work where I got to sit and pleasantly smile as a patron told me about his difficulties having a bowel movement in our library bathroom. (I do not get paid enough for this stuff.) I've contemplated moving my qt to the kitchen thanks to @Victoria M 's brilliance in her own home, and I've been mulling over the stock list of my next tank when I presently don't have my current one fully stocked. (But I have a really good wall for another one.) I also have a house full of fourteen-year-olds who are sitting around our TV playing Smash Bros on the Xbox, and I'm pretending not to hear half the things that come out of their mouths. But I have my trusty black fuzzball at my side and I should probably think about getting up to feed the fish.

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say put the QT at the library, but I worry about those homeless BMs.
Surprisingly to most, the most disgusting things that happen at work come from "regular folk". I have stories that should not be placed on this "family forum". People don't believe some of the stories. The homeless people are at least interesting and appreciative. My issues are with drunks, teenagers, and creepy perverts, as opposed to the non-creepy perverts.

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would think at first thought library nice gig but..... my oldest sons friend like a third son to us was in charge of children’s section and activities one task was keeping the prostitutes out of that areas bathroom to keep them family friendly :oops: Little kids and needles left behind not good. Bless the folks who put up with and do things that should never have been on the job duties list because they love the other parts of their job

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would think at first thought library nice gig but..... my oldest sons friend like a third son to us was in charge of children’s section and activities one task was keeping the prostitutes out of that areas bathroom to keep them family friendly :oops: Little kids and needles left behind not good. Bless the folks who put up with and do things that should never have been on the job duties list because they love the other parts of their job
I've been lucky where we really don't have a prostitute issue, but what you said doesn't surprise me. ;Yuck

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh just look in the 306.74s (Dewey). You will find lots on prostitution. :p
Nice to see Dewey still exists. Hate to think everything I learned as a kid is useless.

OP
OP
Salty Lemon

Salty Lemon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed my water tonight. One of he heads on my hammer looks sick, so I took him out, dipped him, and gave him a good bath. I tried to reglue him and he wouldn't reattach. I had to get out my mask and snorkel gear and stick my head in the tank. I really p-ed off my clowns and they kept attacking my arms, rings, and they wouldn't leave my medical alert bracelet alone. I figured since I was already wet, I would just reattach a couple of my zoas that my urchin knocked off the rocks. The glue wouldn't come out so I tried to pry the tip open with my teeth -- glue everywhere: my cheeks, hands, and the orthodontia that my parents paid for when I was a teenager. I managed to get the zoas on the rocks. I stood back, took a look and realized that I put one upside down. I went back in, reglued and submerged myself again. This gorgeous zoa now has more glue on it than there is coral -- it looks awful. So here I sit, wet, covered in super glue remnants, still scraping it off of my front teeth, thinking that I must be the world's classiest dame. I think I'll go shower in a couple minutes.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back