Too much flow for acropora

Luis Figueroa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 jebao pp8s and 2 pp4s on my 30 cube. they're set on different speeds and different flow. all on the top corners pointing in different spots of the tank for random flow. cheap pumps I know, but can't afford those expensive mp, ecotech, gyre pumps yet.

UCedumacasion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might an appropriate thread for my question. I have a Marineland 40 breeder and have 2 MP40s on it. Yeah I know two on that size tank is likely overkill but I got them with an eye on a future, much larger tank.

The question I have is: how high can I turn both up without compromising the integrity of the tank seams? I have them each on the two side walls facing each other and I currently run them in pulse mode at ~30%. I hope to have a more varied flow program after adding the WXM module. I have read some scattered horror stories about panels shattering due to too much flow. Is there much truth to that?

I can't imagine there being much issue with a 40 breeder and 2 mp40's, I would work them up but start at 50%.

Whereas most tanks have better integrity. Do remember the dimensions that the 40 breeder has creates some natural bowing. Especially when you have anything hanging off the back. In fact in my system I ran most of my HOB filtration off the sides or close to seams to ensure the structural integrity of the tank. I haven't heard of the vibrations causing any problems but you should keep an eye on the wave that 2 mp40's can create, especially if they sync up.

Waalker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am surprised no one has mentioned any Maxspec Gyre's. I have a 250 on my 75gallon and I have to have it at it's lowest settings or my tank is in utter chaos. That said I still feel at times as if it's too much flow though everything in the tank is healthy, I have one Bird's Nest that I would have expected more growth out of in these past months and feel the strong flow is a contributor to that. Judging by the overkill flow comments here I could be totally wrong and have half a mind to go home and raise it!

jwshiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 with 2 MP40's @ 100% Reef Crest 24/7, 2 Maxspec XF 230's @ 20% constant speed. My return is a Vortech Vectra L1 at 50% to a Sea Swirl return. If I had to do that one over I would go with the Vectra M1. I'm looking for enough flow to have to rearrange my sand bed every few days. Wish I went bare bottom. SPS love it but I have to put my LPS in protected areas around rock work.

dr.fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
400 G here, peninsula. i have 2x mp60, 1x mp40, 2x 6105. It took me long time to figure the importance of gyre flow. Some sps can take massive flow. i have a hyacinthus an abrotanoid right in front of a mp 60 and they love it.

dr.fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
400 G here, peninsula. i have 2x mp60, 1x mp40, 2x 6105. It took me long time to figure the importance of gyre flow. Some sps can take massive flow. i have a hyacinthus an abrotanoid right in front of a mp 60 and they love it.

IMG_1486.JPG

dr.fish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for the bad phone pics, i doesn t illustrate well the proximity of those corals with the mp 60

UCedumacasion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah. The Gyres seem to do a lot of good things. I am planning a return to Acropora (after a sojourn to African Cichlids because I've been lazy) and the tank I'm planning has two Gyres on it. I'm debating the rest of the parameters but I'm going tried and true.. about 100x turnover in flow rate and SLAM it with light. It's worked for everyone so I'm not going to try to fix something that's not broken.

UCedumacasion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice Colonies. A lot of people probably don't realize how tricky those acropora are (with the narrow branching growth). They require a ridiculous amount of intermittent, erratic, and powerful flow. Nice Mini Colonies. I can't wait to see them fill out into tables!

Jasonsd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer pertaining to Acros is easy. The real question is how do you know when you have too much flow for LPS? I've seen even the most delicate LPS flourish in high flow, but I've also seen them ripped apart by flow.

UCedumacasion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer pertaining to Acros is easy. The real question is how do you know when you have too much flow for LPS? I've seen even the most delicate LPS flourish in high flow, but I've also seen them ripped apart by flow.
In my old tank I was able to create zones with basically no flow but that is a matter of pump placement as well as aquascape

Rtorres508

Reefer 250
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting a Red Sea reefer 250 this weekend strictly for SPS. I'm going to use the vectra M1 and was thinking of purchasing 2 MP40's or 3 MP10's, What would you recommend for flow?
Thanks!

Ibn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the tissue growth either gets stunted from the flow or there are bald spots on the sps.

This is the backside of the BC gold aussie mille that's in the direct path of a MP10; approximately 7" away. Pic slightly overexposed to show the tissue in the shadows.
bc_gold_aussie_milli_091917.jpg

You can see how the tissue is very thin back there and its weird growth where it's going upwards against the flow. There are also a bit of brown algae where the skeleton has been exposed. It's slowly recovering and I'm not too worried about it.

This is the opposite side of the same frag. Looks like it doesn't mind it at all and has good PE.
bc_gold_aussie_milli_091917b.jpg

UCedumacasion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting a Red Sea reefer 250 this weekend strictly for SPS. I'm going to use the vectra M1 and was thinking of purchasing 2 MP40's or 3 MP10's, What would you recommend for flow?
Thanks!
Didn't realize no one gave a response. Personally I'd do 2 MP40's. Its easier to turn something down than turn something up that can't go up

spscrackhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go take a vacation.
Go dive/ snorkel on the reef.
Go home to your glass box filled reef.
Go buy more flow.

The flow these things in the wild is absolutely incredible. Current so strong that you swim 100% with fins and don't hardly move.
Plus vacations are fun!

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Marineland 40 breeder and have 2 MP40s on it. Yeah I know two on that size tank is likely overkill but I got them with an eye on a future, much larger tank.

I don't think so at all. I think that's under-kill. Two mp10's at max were NOTHING on my 45g cube, and a buddy of mine has an mp40 in his 50 cube and it's on max, not enough flow.

IMHO, you should add two smaller pumps on the back wall to help out with flow that the mp40's can't reach.

It may seem like plenty of flow now, but as the corals grow they will quickly become not enough.

Rakie

NOTED TROUBLEMAKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree! i litterally have every pump facing the water surface.

hey @Sabellafella I'm curious. Why specifically at the water surface?

In my 24x24 cube I've got two strong pumps pointed at the surface from the back wall, it's got me a nice gyre action going on, but I wonder this is too much linear flow, not enough random flow.

Jason Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For all of you creating flow with a mixture of Vortech (MP40 or MP60) and Tunze, what controller do you use? Also, which pump is quieter?
I'm not happy with my current flow (120 g SPS tank) and I'm hesitating whether to go with 3-4 Tunze 6105 or two 6105 and 1 MP40QD. Noise is a very important factor. I know Tunze 6105 are virtually silent but I don't know about the VortechQD.
I have 2 mp40qd and 2 MP10WQD on my Reefer 525 . I love them and there super quit. I also have a reefer 350 with 2 Mp10wqd and both tanks are in my front room. Silence is key you can barely here them, they push some water.

Jason Miller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!
I have a reefer 250 that’s stuffed with corals and I only use 2 MP10WQD. 14 Hr reefcrest mode. 2 hour nutrient , the rest lagoon mode at 75% to let the LPS calm down. You should be good with those and the M1 Vectra

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back