Too much flow through refugium?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am preparing this weekend to set up my sump for Triton method, and am looking at 10-15x flow through the sump. Is there any reason not to use the drain compartment as my refugium?

I am using a 25 gallon tall, and only have room to put the skimmer in the drain section, [drain/skimmer - refugium - return] or to put the refugium in the drain section [drain/refugium - skimmer - return]

Or I could do something like

Drain/refugium - return - skimmer [with a T off of the return to the skimmer compartment?
Drain/skimmer - return - refugium [same as above]

Is 10-15x flow going to be too much flow going through the refugium for the algae to be able to utilize the nutrients?

Thanks for your input!!

OP
OP
Reef of Fillory

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
upload_2017-10-3_15-12-4.png

From the Triton manual

'Note: too much flow through the sump will reduce the efficiency of the algae bed and the skimmer.'

I bought the Quiet One Pro 3000 which is a 758 GPH pump. The main display tank is a biocube 32G [~ 26 gallons of water?] + the sump which I estimate will be around 18 gallons, so 44 gallons X 10 times turnover = 440GPH after headloss

According to RC headloss calculator, I'm looking at ~550GPH after friction and headloss. I'm thinking of putting a T off of my return pump to run a reactor or dump back into the refugium to reduce the flow to the appropriate amount

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back