Torch coral head cut in half

devs_reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just received some new torches and one of them had a fragment of another head attached to it. This fragments appears to be a head that either cracked or accidentally cut down the middle. Is this piece salvageable? If yes, what do I need to do?Or is there more risk of introducing something like brown jelly disease by keeping this piece? I have attached a couple quick pictures (sorry they are a bit blurry)

20220707_105521.jpg 20220707_105529.jpg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
does it have polyps? you can glue the other half to a plug. i cannot really tell if it has polyps, or if it's a dead head that just broke off.

OP
OP
devs_reefs

devs_reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does it have polyps? you can glue the other half to a plug. i cannot really tell if it has polyps, or if it's a dead head that just broke off.
Yes there is a polyp in the fragment but unfortunately, I only have one of the halves. Could I seal it off with reef epoxy instead?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thank you! How high up the side of the polyp should I go? I don't want to smother it or leave it too exposed?
the bottom portion should suffice(opposite end of the side with polyps). think of it like fragging a coral and gluing it onto a frag plug.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.5%
Back