Torch coral head cut in half

devs_reefs

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 28, 2022
Messages
34
Reaction score
43
Location
USA
What state or country do you live in
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just received some new torches and one of them had a fragment of another head attached to it. This fragments appears to be a head that either cracked or accidentally cut down the middle. Is this piece salvageable? If yes, what do I need to do?Or is there more risk of introducing something like brown jelly disease by keeping this piece? I have attached a couple quick pictures (sorry they are a bit blurry)

20220707_105521.jpg 20220707_105529.jpg
 
does it have polyps? you can glue the other half to a plug. i cannot really tell if it has polyps, or if it's a dead head that just broke off.
 
does it have polyps? you can glue the other half to a plug. i cannot really tell if it has polyps, or if it's a dead head that just broke off.
Yes there is a polyp in the fragment but unfortunately, I only have one of the halves. Could I seal it off with reef epoxy instead?
 
that works as well. place in low light low flow and cross your fingers!
Thank you! How high up the side of the polyp should I go? I don't want to smother it or leave it too exposed?
 
Thank you! How high up the side of the polyp should I go? I don't want to smother it or leave it too exposed?
the bottom portion should suffice(opposite end of the side with polyps). think of it like fragging a coral and gluing it onto a frag plug.
 
the bottom portion should suffice(opposite end of the side with polyps). think of it like fragging a coral and gluing it onto a frag plug.
Great! Thanks again!
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 23 28.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new