Torch coral melted- BJD???

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so my torch that ive had for a year just suddenly melted. It had been staying halfway closed up for about 2 weeks and my clown fish was picking at it. I just recently moved tanks, but everything else is fine, and I have more sensitive corals than the torch. Also, the torch was staying retracted in the old tank as well. It did have a small amount of brown stuff on the dead heads, but not a lot. I took it out to frag off the remaining head in hopes of saving it. It smelled deadened the skeleton inside was bleach white and brittle. I actually split the remaining head in half because the skeleton was so brittle. What could have caused this? Is there any point in keeping the split in half head that I salvaged?

Params:
temp: 79 F
PH: 8
Salinity: 1.023
cal: 500
Mag:1600
Alk: 9
Nitrate, nitrite, ammonia: 0ppm.
don't have a phosphate test, but assuming 0 because no nitrates
all params have been stable

please help! I have several other (more expensive) euphyllia in my tank. Can this spread and if so how can I save them???

I will add that the torch had some bubble algae on it, but I scraped it off.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive looked at lots of pics of brown jelly disease. im not too sure if thats it. it didn't slough very much.

#reefsquad , any thoughts?

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after doing some research, could it have just starved since I have low nutrients?

ArizonaAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely starved from low nutrients. Euphyllias like measurable levels of nitrate and phosphate. Also, torches are real weird sometimes and it is not uncommon for them to retract for a few days then reopen. Due to the amount of time though, it sounds like a nutrient issue.

I would also highly recommend a phosphate kit. You do want small amounts, but obviously not too much. Phos can fluctuate much easier than nitrates sometimes so I would definitely take a look at that.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely starved from low nutrients. Euphyllias like measurable levels of nitrate and phosphate. Also, torches are real weird sometimes and it is not uncommon for them to retract for a few days then reopen. Due to the amount of time though, it sounds like a nutrient issue.

I would also highly recommend a phosphate kit. You do want small amounts, but obviously not too much. Phos can fluctuate much easier than nitrates sometimes so I would definitely take a look at that.

thank you for the response. I will work on feeding more heavily to increase nitrates.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I see Mag and Calcium a little high and salinity a bit low ( recommended- 1.025-1.026). +
Has anything like lighting, water flow or type of water changed ?

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see Mag and Calcium a little high and salinity a bit low ( recommended- 1.025-1.026). +
Has anything like lighting, water flow or type of water changed ?

yeah cal and mag are a little elevated. I suspect because I just moved tanks and it is either from the salt mix or maybe the sand (???). I am going to adjust salinity soon, but I think my refractometer is off so im waiting to get calibration fluid before I start changing levels. I haven't changed anything with lights or type of water. I moved to a new tank, so flow would be different, but I put it in moderate flow on the sand bed along with my other torches, who are very happy. I also recently changed my RODI filters, but I dont think that would affect it.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
yeah cal and mag are a little elevated. I suspect because I just moved tanks and it is either from the salt mix or maybe the sand (???). I am going to adjust salinity soon, but I think my refractometer is off so im waiting to get calibration fluid before I start changing levels. I haven't changed anything with lights or type of water. I moved to a new tank, so flow would be different, but I put it in moderate flow on the sand bed along with my other torches, who are very happy. I also recently changed my RODI filters, but I dont think that would affect it.
While awaiting calibration fluid, I would take a water sample to a trusted LFS and have them test for you to confirm readings and use for comparison with yours.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

ArizonaAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing you could do just in the mean time is calibrate with RODI water. As long as it is RODI you know it will be 0 - or close enough to it to at least maybe convince you to drive to the LFS [emoji23][emoji1303]

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 41 85.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.3%
Back