Torch coral skeleton showing?

Savai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

So my torch corals have been fine up until about 3 days ago when one side of one of my torches completely closed up and it looks like only the skeleton is there. I was also told that it could be splitting but I've never experienced that so I'm not too sure.

What do you guys think? What can I do in this situation? All my other corals in the tank are doing fine, fully opened and thriving. This is the only one I've had something like this happen to.

20210502_130655.jpg

OP
OP
S

Savai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you talking about the empty head in the front left of the photo? Can't see much but appears to have died to me. Was it all brown and mushy?
Yeah, the one on the bottom left. That's crazy because it was literally open and thriving the day before and the next day it was just gone. It wasn't brown or mushy at all. I wake up and it looks just like that.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yeah, the one on the bottom left. That's crazy because it was literally open and thriving the day before and the next day it was just gone. It wasn't brown or mushy at all. I wake up and it looks just like that.
What torches are those? What lighting and filter was used? I ask because in first glance they look bleached. If so, Lighting may have led to the one dying.

OP
OP
S

Savai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What torches are those? What lighting and filter was used? I ask because in first glance they look bleached. If so, Lighting may have led to the one dying.
I'm not certain on the type of torch corals they are. But I have a HOB filter that came with the tank (75g) and I have two fluval 3.0 marine lights set up. I dont think they're bleached, here are pics of them in the blue lights. Also, I don't see or have seen any sort of brown colored jelly on it. I just woke up and it's gone lol.

20210502_220952.jpg Screenshot_20210502-221032_Gallery.jpg

tjohnson3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def not a split... it looks like a goner. I would dip the coral and thoroughly look for pests. If none, keep an eye on your tank inhabitants and see if any are nippy.

OP
OP
S

Savai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Def not a split... it looks like a goner. I would dip the coral and thoroughly look for pests. If none, keep an eye on your tank inhabitants and see if any are nippy.
Okay thanks! Any recommendations on dips I should buy?

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dip them all in iodine and see if you have flatworms come off. Years ago I had the same issue on a torch and when dipped I noticed quite a few flatworms come off 1 of which was a inch long.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would look before i dipped. Should be able to see the flatworms. Maybe after lights out when the coral retracts. Idk of any flatoworms that are harmful or target euphyillia though.
D

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Dip them all in iodine and see if you have flatworms come off. Years ago I had the same issue on a torch and when dipped I noticed quite a few flatworms come off 1 of which was a inch long.
In pure Iodine? that doesn’t seem like a good idea.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
For starters, If you have leather corals, this may be part of the issue. Many leather coral species produce and release toxic chemicals, called terpenes, into the water to protect themselves and to stunt the growth of other species. One of the biggest problems I have seen beginner hobbyists have is failing to account for the calcium demand for these corals. If there is insufficient calcium in your aquarium water, these corals will not be able to make their coral skeleton. You should also never lift a torch coral out of the water if you can avoid it. You could tear the polyps, and torn polyps are prone to infection followed by necrosis
Torch require typical parameters including:
Temperature around 78 degrees
Specific gravity of about 1.025
Ph of about 8.2
Calcium level of about 400 ppm.

Like most large polyp stony corals, a torch coral benefits from moderate water flow. The polyps will remain retracted and under-inflated if the water current is too fast because the large flowing polyps are prone to rip and tear in high or ultra-high current environments.
The torch coral is a photosynthetic coral, meaning it has a relationship with symbiotic zooxanthellae (single-cell photosynthetic organisms) that live inside its tissues that converts the light energy into sugar. In exchange for a home inside the coral, the zooxanthellae split their harvest and feed the coral. Therefore, it is possible to keep the Torch coral without any feeding at all. However, all corals are animals, and animals are meant to eat.
The best placement for a torch coral is in a location that gets moderate water flow and moderate-intensity lighting. Torches are aggressive corals that protect themselves by wielding their sweeper tentacles maliciously. Sweeper tentacles are specialized tentacles that extend much larger than the typical tentacles and are equipped with stinging cells. Torches will send out these long tendrils to zap anything nearby within reach.

Last edited:

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In pure Iodine? that doesn’t seem like a good idea.
Brightwell Medi coral, iodine based
I know from personal experience when 4 years ago I had a health big torch then after some time it was going down hill, so I dipped it in the above solution and instantly had 6 flatworms come out in the bowl and 1 was like an inch long. It was too late to recover. So I didn't have any for 3 years and 2 months ago started adding some. Trust me my eyes don't lie they were definitely flatworms that like torches if not other euphylia. These came off indo torches.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Brightwell Medi coral, iodine based
I know from personal experience when 4 years ago I had a health big torch then after some time it was going down hill, so I dipped it in the above solution and instantly had 6 flatworms come out in the bowl and 1 was like an inch long. It was too late to recover. So I didn't have any for 3 years and 2 months ago started adding some. Trust me my eyes don't lie they were definitely flatworms that like torches if not other euphylia. These came off indo torches.
Right so you are suggesting an iodine based coral dip, not pure iodine. I was just suggesting to be specific on the dip as pure iodine would likely have Ill effects on the coal and a beginner/inexperienced reefer may not realize you don’t mean pure iodine.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right so you are suggesting an iodine based coral dip, not pure iodine. I was just suggesting to be specific on the dip as pure iodine would likely have Ill effects on the coal and a beginner/inexperienced reefer may not realize you don’t mean pure iodine.
Yes it won't kill them but it stuns them and they escape the torch and drop to the bottom of the bowl.
Worth trying as it won't hurt the coral. In 5 minutes or less they will show themselves if they are there. Just another tool to try and eliminate things 1 by 1.

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For starters, If you have leather corals, this may be part of the issue. Many leather coral species produce and release toxic chemicals, called terpenes, into the water to protect themselves and to stunt the growth of other species. One of the biggest problems I have seen beginner hobbyists have is failing to account for the calcium demand for these corals. If there is insufficient calcium in your aquarium water, these corals will not be able to make their coral skeleton. You should also never lift a torch coral out of the water if you can avoid it. You could tear the polyps, and torn polyps are prone to infection followed by necrosis
Torch require typical parameters including:
Temperature around 78 degrees
Specific gravity of about 1.025
Ph of about 8.2
Calcium level of about 400 ppm.

Like most large polyp stony corals, a torch coral benefits from moderate water flow. The polyps will remain retracted and under-inflated if the water current is too fast because the large flowing polyps are prone to rip and tear in high or ultra-high current environments.
The torch coral is a photosynthetic coral, meaning it has a relationship with symbiotic zooxanthellae (single-cell photosynthetic organisms) that live inside its tissues that converts the light energy into sugar. In exchange for a home inside the coral, the zooxanthellae split their harvest and feed the coral. Therefore, it is possible to keep the Torch coral without any feeding at all. However, all corals are animals, and animals are meant to eat.
The best placement for a torch coral is in a location that gets moderate water flow and moderate-intensity lighting. Torches are aggressive corals that protect themselves by wielding their sweeper tentacles maliciously. Sweeper tentacles are specialized tentacles that extend much larger than the typical tentacles and are equipped with stinging cells. Torches will send out these long tendrils to zap anything nearby within reach.
Yep I had a Duncan just above a hammer and it was just touching the Duncan. Lucky I noticed the tips burning and moved the Duncan.
My 2 torches are doing great but recently put a Nero3 infront and a little above. Flow to 40% at random times. Hopefully not too much

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back