Torch cracked from shipping

coralcollector1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orderd 2 torches from online one showed up fine the other was cracked glued it to the best of my abilities. Will it be fine and repair itself or is it a goner?

17121797387837416816291322331193.jpg 17121797648122339659150335699776.jpg 17121798045491767067109655986795.jpg

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand what you mean by "cracked", but think about it. These corals are in oceans with extreme natural disasters that I am sure destroy some parts of the coral, yet most of them survive. I am sure you will be fine.

Upvote 0

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
Orderd 2 torches from online one showed up fine the other was cracked glued it to the best of my abilities. Will it be fine and repair itself or is it a goner?

17121797387837416816291322331193.jpg 17121797648122339659150335699776.jpg 17121798045491767067109655986795.jpg
Most likely will get BJD. It seems anytime a torch gets really stressed or injured, it will get BJD, and if it does, it will be a goner.

Being retracted can be a sign of it. When I had it, it had no visible signs of BJD, just retraction 1-2 days before. Once it died, then you could see BJD and smelled like worse than death.

Cipro is the golden answer to it. A good idea to pre treat all torches with it. Some people would say no due to antibiotic use, but from my experience with it, it cured my infected ones and the others had no problem

Upvote 1
OP
OP
C

coralcollector1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely will get BJD. It seems anytime a torch gets really stressed or injured, it will get BJD, and if it does, it will be a goner.

Being retracted can be a sign of it. When I had it, it had no visible signs of BJD, just retraction 1-2 days before. Once it died, then you could see BJD and smelled like worse than death.

Cipro is the golden answer to it. A good idea to pre treat all torches with it. Some people would say no due to antibiotic use, but from my experience with it, it cured my infected ones and the others had no problem
Ok thank u

Upvote 0

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
unfortunately the moment you start see BJD I’d pull it and cut your loses.
The problem is you may not see it before it dies. I had 15 torches. One got injured by me scraping its tentacle with my hand against its skeleton. Didn’t think much of it. It receded for a few days then died. Took it out and it smelled like death. Ok dang that’s sucks.

Not long after that, 2 more started to retract. The two had visible BJD. I ordered cipro before the ban. They ended up dying. Then 5 more started to retract. I finally got the cipro and doses in tank. The 5 retracted recovered, and all are fine now for about 3 months.

Good chance you can save it if you see the tentacles still.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

coralcollector1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem is you may not see it before it dies. I had 15 torches. One got injured by me scraping its tentacle with my hand against its skeleton. Didn’t think much of it. It receded for a few days then died. Took it out and it smelled like death. Ok dang that’s sucks.

Not long after that, 2 more started to retract. The two had visible BJD. I ordered cipro before the ban. They ended up dying. Then 5 more started to retract. I finally got the cipro and doses in tank. The 5 retracted recovered, and all are fine now for about 3 months.

Good chance you can save it if you see the tentacles still.
Thanks for the info unfortunately I'm just gonna have to cut my loss no BJD but polyps are leaving. I'm gonna give it a day but it is what it is

Upvote 0

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broke my torch skelly in half while trying to remove it from the plug, almost had a heart attack. Had the glue right there anyway, so I glued the pieces back together at the base, trying not to pull the flesh at all..
It's been idk, at least 2 months now and it seems like it's ok. The flesh band was never that good, and now it's maybe 1/8" down from the rim which is better than it was.
Anyway, just don't give up until it's obviously a goner.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

coralcollector1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broke my torch skelly in half while trying to remove it from the plug, almost had a heart attack. Had the glue right there anyway, so I glued the pieces back together at the base, trying not to pull the flesh at all..
It's been idk, at least 2 months now and it seems like it's ok. The flesh band was never that good, and now it's maybe 1/8" down from the rim which is better than it was.
Ok will do

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

coralcollector1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I lower light intensity?

Upvote 0

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 40.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 27.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back