Torch dying!! Help!!

Zinong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi talent reefers,

My torchs are dying one by one after I move my tanks recently. I know moving tank will induce a lot of stress to them, but still want to know if any thing I can do to save my last torch. It is a pink tip euphyllia and it was much bigger when I got it. But now, it is shrinking, the skeleton is showing, and some of its tips has dropped. Also, it seems that it eats itself by putting its trochs into its mouth. Am I straving it? I ran protein skimmer for two days after I moved my tank. All other corals are doing fine. As I am running out of my test kits, I might overdose calcium, which was 508 two days ago. Salanity is 9. all other major parameters are fine as far as I know. I watched a video yesterday, which said the troch loves higher light and medium flow, so I moved it to the top of my tank. And I lower my flow because I am afraid of blow out all its torchs, they seems fraglie now. Also, I saw someone said that torch might die from hosting clownfish, my nemo used to sleep on this troch during the night. And he also suck my mushrooms as a hallucination !!! Well, I guess. The mushroom will come back shortly, but the troch is slowly dying. Any suggestions or ideas will be appriciated! Thank you!

Best,
Zinong
Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 9.10.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 9.10.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 9.11.30 AM.png

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too low of flow is also a big issue with torches, their tentacles need to be moving. Could be so many things really. This is where you really need to have your parameters documented so you can check them now and compare.

MrDLHughesY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi talent reefers,

My torchs are dying one by one after I move my tanks recently. I know moving tank will induce a lot of stress to them, but still want to know if any thing I can do to save my last torch. It is a pink tip euphyllia and it was much bigger when I got it. But now, it is shrinking, the skeleton is showing, and some of its tips has dropped. Also, it seems that it eats itself by putting its trochs into its mouth. Am I straving it? I ran protein skimmer for two days after I moved my tank. All other corals are doing fine. As I am running out of my test kits, I might overdose calcium, which was 508 two days ago. Salanity is 9. all other major parameters are fine as far as I know. I watched a video yesterday, which said the troch loves higher light and medium flow, so I moved it to the top of my tank. And I lower my flow because I am afraid of blow out all its torchs, they seems fraglie now. Also, I saw someone said that torch might die from hosting clownfish, my nemo used to sleep on this troch during the night. And he also suck my mushrooms as a hallucination !!! Well, I guess. The mushroom will come back shortly, but the troch is slowly dying. Any suggestions or ideas will be appriciated! Thank you!

Best,
Zinong
Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 9.10.51 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 9.10.24 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 9.11.30 AM.png

You say your salinity is 9 ? If so this will be your problem

OP
OP
Zinong

Zinong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too low of flow is also a big issue with torches, their tentacles need to be moving. Could be so many things really. This is where you really need to have your parameters documented so you can check them now and compare.
Ok, I will try to increase the flow to see how it works. I am considering to buy a Neptune System to help me record my water values. Thank you so much for the suggestions!

OP
OP
Zinong

Zinong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep us updated!
I tried some method mentioned, but I think it is still too late to save it. As I just moved from my old place to a new place, which stress them out. Moving always sucks, especially for these delicate creatures. Thank you guys for those advise and I really appricate all the support from you!

OP
OP
Zinong

Zinong

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not run carbon. But I did two water changes after I moved my tank. Also, two fishes died one week ago. I think a sharp reduction of bioload might be the reason as I heard that torches loves dirty water. BTW, one of my oteher troch died from landing on scoly, the scoly survived , at least for now. I am also fighting with nuisance algae right now. Zoas are suffering. I really hope I do not lose any more corals. Thank you guys! I learn a lot from you!

Back