Torch overnight has problems

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brown jelly? This looked the best its has in months yesterday. Today is when I got home. Can I save it?

20200716_185333.jpg

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some quick searching I just ended up fragging off that branch. I ended up soaking the rest of it in peroxide for a few minutes up to but not including the tissue of the other healthier head. Then I superglued over the fragged part after the peroxide bath and put it back in the tank. Hopefully that was the right route to go.

OP
OP
T

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case anybody else finds this thread looking for info, a 1 day update the torch is looking beefy again. Full PE on the head that's remaining. Base is all nice and clean from the peroxide bath.

Reef keeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like their was hair algae near the polyps, might have been irritating it too the point it was receding. Or your P04 or nitrate May have been high causing it to be irritated.
You would know if it was brown jelly because the head would be melting and releasing a bunch of nasty brown off of it and it would smell like death when pulled out.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the update and the information.... God only knows why torches melt sometimes. I have had torches in stable conditions just die, heartbreaking but I keep buying them. I'm glad it came back!

Lorenz725

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same has happened to me. I have had torches for years and one day they are not looking good and within a few days they are dead.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.5%
Back