Torch placement

Ryan1277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather new to coral, I picked up a cotton candy torch and I’ve have another indigo torch. My question is placement and lighting. I’ve heard and seen different stories. I was told they should be high in tank with higher lighting. Other things I’ve seen or read show torches lower in the tank on sand bed. I’m aware of moderate flow. So my question is where should I place my torch?

itselenababe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep mine low-middle with low-moderate flow and they grow beautifully. Personally I wouldn’t put them too high up and not on the sand bed either but it also depends on your lighting. My advice is start in the low-middle then you can move it around to where it seems happiest

BobbyCline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anywhere...

Screenshot_20211217-233817.png

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What other corals are you keeping with/around them?
Your torches will likely sting anything near them, and torches carry a powerful sting compared to most corals.
My two torches have grown a lot and now put out some really long tentacles and sting anything near them... I keep having to move my other corals or the torches sting the heck out of them.

So keep that in mind also, when placing them.

OP
OP
Ryan1277

Ryan1277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not exactly sure what’s going on with my tank, both torches are now looking very rough and not extending, my wellso Brain coral has stopped inflating. Water parameters seems to be in check. Phosphate.07, nitrates 6, alk is 8.8 to 9. Salinity is 1.025, calcium seems to be 500 and magnesium around 1400. I use reef crystals and not enough coral to lower calcium or magnesium.

running a reef breeders photon v2 ramping up to max 40% blues. 90 gallon 4x2 tank.

started testing for ammonia a cheap api test shows .25 or .50pmm, so I added seachem prime. Not sure if it’s having a mini cycle, nitrite is 0ppm, ph is 7.8.
Added a poly filter to sump in case some sort of metal I can’t test for. All my test are done with Hanna checkers except ammonia and nitrite

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a second method of checking your salinity?
Both your CA and MG are on the higher side. Just thinking you may want to double check that your salinity isn't actually higher than you think....

OP
OP
Ryan1277

Ryan1277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 3 refactors, I checked both against my ro water both seem to zero. The third one I just got last night when I picked up a used tank. I just order a icp test, but at this rate corals will be dead. The wellso I tucked under a rock ledge since I read they don’t like lots of lights, it’s not eating the lps food either. I’m using reef roids and AB energy broadcasting too.
At this point I’m considering starting up another tank with ro water from local lfs as a hospital tank for the corals. I picked up a used reef breeders photon V1 for it last night too. Just thinking maybe I should move them out of tank

nick654377

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We keep ours mid with mid flow. About 6 heads now and has seemed to be happy after two weeks.

Attachments

• IMG_5913.MP4
    24.6 MB

Manny’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I keep mine low-middle with low-moderate flow and they grow beautifully. Personally I wouldn’t put them too high up and not on the sand bed either but it also depends on your lighting. My advice is start in the low-middle then you can move it around to where it seems happiest
This 100%.

pete40

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not exactly sure what’s going on with my tank, both torches are now looking very rough and not extending, my wellso Brain coral has stopped inflating. Water parameters seems to be in check. Phosphate.07, nitrates 6, alk is 8.8 to 9. Salinity is 1.025, calcium seems to be 500 and magnesium around 1400. I use reef crystals and not enough coral to lower calcium or magnesium.

running a reef breeders photon v2 ramping up to max 40% blues. 90 gallon 4x2 tank.

started testing for ammonia a cheap api test shows .25 or .50pmm, so I added seachem prime. Not sure if it’s having a mini cycle, nitrite is 0ppm, ph is 7.8.
Added a poly filter to sump in case some sort of metal I can’t test for. All my test are done with Hanna checkers except ammonia and nitrite
Maybe flow too strong

Saltyanimals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a cotton candy torch myself from ASD as part of their blackfriday sale. It was 2.5ish heads and now a full three since introduced to my tank. Mine is on the sandbed. It's growing, but still very short tentacles compared to my dragon soul. It has been rumored that they need to be high enough for flow to go under it to encourage longer extension. At the same time it's suggested not to move it too much so I'm leaving it alone since it is growing. Maybe these cotton candies just don't extend much. Anyone else with them?

And as for as your coral issues. Your parameters are in check, but that doesn't tell you what other contaminates may be bothering it. I usually do a large WC then run quality carbon fast when something tank wide is not looking right. Then sit back and wait because you can't do anything else but to see if the WC and carbon did the trick.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rather new to coral, I picked up a cotton candy torch and I’ve have another indigo torch. My question is placement and lighting. I’ve heard and seen different stories. I was told they should be high in tank with higher lighting. Other things I’ve seen or read show torches lower in the tank on sand bed. I’m aware of moderate flow. So my question is where should I place my torch?
Moderate flow and light. You'll find some like light more than others. My purples like it best in more light than the lime and lemon drop. Start with moderate light. Good luck.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

• I don’t have macroalgae.

• Other.

Back