Torch polyp bail out, will it survive?

Araona

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 23, 2023
Messages
35
Reaction score
47
Location
Southampton
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a polyp bail out of our torch at the weekend. I managed to find the head in the sand and I scooped it up and put it in an acclimation box. Then like Houdini it decided to escape through the holes and back into the tank!

IMG_20230828_094854.jpg



I scooped it up again and tried to put it on some rock in there. Is it possible for this to survive and grow again?

IMG_20230829_131416.jpg
 
We had a polyp bail out of our torch at the weekend. I managed to find the head in the sand and I scooped it up and put it in an acclimation box. Then like Houdini it decided to escape through the holes and back into the tank!

IMG_20230828_094854.jpg



I scooped it up again and tried to put it on some rock in there. Is it possible for this to survive and grow again?

IMG_20230829_131416.jpg
Once bailed out - rarely if ever especially with a torch will there be recovery. Often this is caused by too much light and/or water flow especially flow and even low calcium as well as elevated phosphate or low salinity.
 
It can grow a new skeleton but I have never seen it happen. Only the unhappy ones bail out and they usually don’t improve after that.
 
Once bailed out - rarely if ever especially with a torch will there be recovery. Often this is caused by too much light and/or water flow especially flow and even low calcium as well as elevated phosphate or low salinity.
I'm pretty sure the problem was alkalinity and/or calcium. We had a faulty test which made me overdose so we had a bit of a swing. We've got the parameters back to recommended levels now. Rest of the torch looks like it's on the mend.
IMG_20230831_174427.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 6.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 27 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new