Torch receding

unbeknownst

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
May 13, 2024
Messages
81
Reaction score
92
Location
Sealy
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Torch coral receded over the course of the weekend, and I am unsure of what to do to help it. I suspect maybe it was in too much flow.
Water parameters
nitrate 10
Phosphate .25
Carbonate 9.3
mag, 1290
calc, 415

IMG_3596.jpeg
 
How long have you had it and has it been in that spot looking good for that time frame?
Looking closer at the pic looks like it may have already lost a head. How is the flesh band below the tentacles?
 
Upvote 0
Torch coral receded over the course of the weekend, and I am unsure of what to do to help it. I suspect maybe it was in too much flow.
Water parameters
nitrate 10
Phosphate .25
Carbonate 9.3
mag, 1290
calc, 415

IMG_3596.jpeg
1st thing I see, get it out of the sand. It don't like sand. (what sand is that?)

I willing to bet it doesn't have enough light. Need to know the par.
 
Upvote 0
1st thing I see, get it out of the sand. It don't like sand. (what sand is that?)

I willing to bet it doesn't have enough light. Need to know the par.
I had moved it to the sand bed to protect it from flow yesterday.
The sand is made of crushed coral not sure exactly where its from. (bought the aquarium used)
 
Upvote 0
How long have you had it and has it been in that spot looking good for that time frame?
Looking closer at the pic looks like it may have already lost a head. How is the flesh band below the tentacles?
I've had it for about two weeks now, the white flesh band below the other two polyps is fat.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Next morning photo,
moved it out of the sand bed and put it there for now, just for reference there is a healthy hammer coral and a few thriving sps corals at the same level
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3597.jpeg
    IMG_3597.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 104
Upvote 0
I had moved it to the sand bed to protect it from flow yesterday.
The sand is made of crushed coral not sure exactly where its from. (bought the aquarium used)
How much flow? Mine gets quite a bit. If you thinks it's too much can you put it next to a rock face? It helps protect. They don't like sand cuts it irritates the flesh.

Black sand most likely has ferrous material in it and is not very useful in reef tanks. If a magnet gets near it or will attract and may scratch your glass.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Also worth mentioning I've had a brain coral face a similar fate.
 
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.6%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 15.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 58 33.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 12 7.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 27 15.7%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new