Torch suddenly died?

LeafsReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a couple torches that looked fine yesterday, but this morning didn't open up. Are these dead? I had a hammer that looked like it was dying and included a photo of something on the plug, but I think it's just algae. I'm going through the ugly stage right now. The other torches looked OK today. They are closing because the lights are almost off. The tank has been running for about 2 and a half months. The water is a bit cloudy because I had an anemone disintegrate while I was taking it out after it died a couple days ago. I did a 20% water change 2 days ago. These are my water parameters from tonight:

Salinty: 1.024
Nitrate: 20
pH: 8.1
Phosphate: 0
Calcium: 425
Magnesium: 1500 (I think I made a mistake with this one)
Alkalinty: 8.8

20230806_213844.jpg 20230806_213919.jpg 20230806_213922.jpg 20230806_215150.jpg

DenverSaltyFarm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hold steady at 1500 mag and torches love that pretty much all euphyllia like higher mag. this looks like a bacteria infection, but there are so many different things that can kill your torch. Lighting, flow, contaminants and the list goes on.

it looks like you have some cyano bacteria on your rocks

Zestfullyclean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would recommend you get your phosphate up. Last thing you want is Dinos. Going through this mistake myself and having that bottomed out is risking Dino’s and torches also need some detectable phosphate levels to do well from what I understand. I’m a bit of a newbie but my 2cents from what I’ve been learning and have experienced these past five months of my new tank.

Zestfullyclean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking more at your pics you may possibly already have some Dino’s coming on. I’d stop water changes and try to get phosphates up. I had to dose phosphates for two weeks at super heavy amounts to get detectable levels. Dry rock is going to make your ugly stage a bit of a long journey and patience will be key. Try to hold off on adding any coral at this point. Just throwing money in the fire in my opinion until you build a stable environment to out compete the uglies.

OP
OP
L

LeafsReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would I check for BJD om the torch and how could I determine if it's an infection? Here's a short video I took of the torches last week to check the flow. I did turn it up a bit the next day though.

Attachments

• 20230801_104001.mp4
    14.2 MB

Aquariumaddictuk

Discus Sensei, Reefing Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would I check for BJD om the torch and how could I determine if it's an infection? Here's a short video I took of the torches last week to check the flow. I did turn it up a bit the next day though.
Torches need a lot more flow than that.i aim powerheads at different areas to create different, random patterns.do you have an RFG on return?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back