Torches acting strange. Need help!

devs_reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

So I have 5 torches in my tank and for the last week and half 2 have been acting strange and I'm not sure whats going on. The issue is a little hard to describe but some of the tentacles have been retracted and super reflective (almost bright white) and I'm not sure if it's just because they are splitting or not. I'll attach pictures of both. Both are indo torches with the smaller being a knicks and the larger is a standard gold.

My parameters are:
Salinity:1.026
Calcium: 420
Kh: 9
Nitrate/phosphate: near 0 (unfortunately resorting to api right now)

I've done a 75% chemi-clean dose to try to remedy the issue but it doesn't seem to have helped. Not sure if it's worth dipping them or not but I have an iodine dip and RedSea's new dip if needed.

Thank you in advance for any help!

20220125_174204.jpg 20220125_174159.jpg 20220124_210632.jpg

OP
OP
devs_reefs

devs_reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If parameters are zero they are likely starving , too much light , and bleaching . Just a guess not a solution
I target feed them AB+ 4-5 times a week plus reef roids 1-2 times. Should I feed them reef roids more frequently? Nothing has changing in my lighting or their positioning for months either

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I personally have not target fed ab+, I just very slowly drip it into the tank with high amounts of current or flow, remember ab+ is an acid so, also give them 2 days without doing anything and see if they come back, I'm always careful about feeding try not to do too much, especially the ab+ amino, how old is the tank?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 0 nitrate / 0 phosphate would be a problem , all living things need phosphate try to increase a bit. Could get another fish lol

OP
OP
devs_reefs

devs_reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally have not target fed ab+, I just very slowly drip it into the tank with high amounts of current or flow, remember ab+ is an acid so, also give them 2 days without doing anything and see if they come back, I'm always careful about feeding try not to do too much, especially the ab+ amino, how old is the tank?
I will try giving them a break. Also put the lights into acclimatation mode for a few days and see if they respond to that. The tank is approaching a year old now

OP
OP
devs_reefs

devs_reefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think 0 nitrate / 0 phosphate would be a problem , all living things need phosphate try to increase a bit. Could get another fish lol
Unfortunately, the last fish I added had either velvet or ich (I believe it was velvet given the sheer number of spots) so I am still a week or two out on the fallow period :/

twiatr2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
also try not to do too much at once, if you change too many things at once and they go back to normal you won't know what actually fixed it.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back