Torches and hammers leaving skeleton

Jfast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torches and hammers are leaving there skeleton? How do I stop this?

OP
OP
Jfast

Jfast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is two years old. 90gallon display with half rock and a 40gal frag plumbed into the display.
I dose reef pro two part
dkh 8
Cal 445
Mg 1400
Po4 .06
No3 1
I have two hydor gem 3 wave makers 2450 gph
I have two hydra 52 HD on display and a hydra 26hd an mars 300w led with blues only.
I have a Refugium with two filter cups one has pinky gloss the other just rock . Protein skimmer with air intake piped out side for fresh air. Cheato an bio brick plus some live rock.
168C3817-31CC-4A8B-B774-8A20BEDD318B.jpeg

OP
OP
Jfast

Jfast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus an UV I added thinking it would help with the problem

AmaleeC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to bombard you with questions, but these are things to consider: Are they growing anything on them? Is there anything strange on their skeleton? Are they retracted? How long have you had them? Do you have any photos you could post?

&& most of all, could they just be unhappy about the flow in the tank?

Last edited:

WiscoFishNut

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your params look good to me. I know for my torch I had to move it around a bit to get the flow right. Its positioned toward the bottom of the tank so not a ton of PAR. It's really thriving tho and seems to like frozen food which I feed once a day (Rod's plus mysis). I'm only broadcast feeding FWIW.

OP
OP
Jfast

Jfast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They get pretty good glow I keep them on a frag rack on the sides of tank. I feed them a mixture of brine mysis , RODs coral blend and original. And I’m running the David saxbys light schedule for the hydra 52hds in the picture u can see the dead head on the back of torch and the hammer leaving its skeleton right now but everything else looks happy

271A8B99-9958-40BD-B324-5963C6FFCC10.jpeg 26AB9FE3-1120-4A11-9511-F0DA71292DB6.jpeg

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to see the corals... everything looks inline. Are you seeing a mass of tentacles leave or onesie twosies? If it's the later it could be the case. I'm looking for the R2R thread that talked about this.

Without seeing the torch though it's all speculation.

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they in direct flow? How long have you been keeping euphyllia?

OP
OP
Jfast

Jfast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
U think it could be the bta in the tank ? I heard they can slime nasty **** In the tank when they eat

OP
OP
Jfast

Jfast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to see the corals... everything looks inline. Are you seeing a mass of tentacles leave or onesie twosies? If it's the later it could be the case. I'm looking for the R2R thread that talked about this.

Without seeing the torch though it's all speculation.
It’s my torches and hammers they slowly just lose grip of there skeleton over weeks time.

290F4C6E-9E8E-4562-8377-3E883C6CD626.jpeg

OP
OP
Jfast

Jfast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they in direct flow? How long have you been keeping euphyllia?
I’ve had torches and hammers frogspawns since day one of this tank. It was my upgrade from my old set up. They don’t get direct flow the wavemaker goes back an forth blowing away from them

3FD172FC-02DB-4159-BAB4-E3148D6863BD.jpeg 1D752978-CF0D-4E3F-A8BE-CA2586996A6B.jpeg

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as I'm having a similar issue.
I have a 7 gallon tank that's 4 yrs old and the hammers are frags off my main colony in my main tank, they have been in the tank for over 3.5 years. They are also losing the heads, as in the whole fleshy bit just leaves the skeleton. I don't know why they are doing it, I have lost around 20 heads over the last 9 months.
My parameters are
Alk 8.6
Cal 415
Mag1320
Salinity 1.026
Po4 0.03
No3 20
Temp 78
The only things I can think of is I had an issue with salinity dropping low down to 1.023 for a while that I didnt notice for a while, or its the green sinularia that is releasing toxins that I can't test for. I've also checked for stray voltage that has been suggested as a possible cause. I went from.
Screenshot_20191024-181116_Gallery.jpg

To this
Screenshot_20200509-104529_Gallery.jpg

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you guys do water changes? No brown jelly, just fallout?

Every tank is different we run our salinity about 1.023-25 it varies. Smaller water column with even the most minor of swings can have a big impact.

Argh! There are so many threads out there about this issue with little response... here's one for hammer splitting/spawning - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/self-fragging-hammer.638841/

It's frustrating because your parameters look good but like @Nicholas-dushynsky said it could be something we can't test for though I've haven't heard of a BTA doing that to euphyllia before... I know plenty of successful tanks that have both with no issues. I'll keep doing some more research, I run a euphyllia heavy tank I have lost pieces before but it's been to brown jelly which is an easy diagnosis/remedy, this definitely has stumped and piqued my interest. I'll post more when I have more.

OP
OP
Jfast

Jfast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following as I'm having a similar issue.
I have a 7 gallon tank that's 4 yrs old and the hammers are frags off my main colony in my main tank, they have been in the tank for over 3.5 years. They are also losing the heads, as in the whole fleshy bit just leaves the skeleton. I don't know why they are doing it, I have lost around 20 heads over the last 9 months.
My parameters are
Alk 8.6
Cal 415
Mag1320
Salinity 1.026
Po4 0.03
No3 20
Temp 78
The only things I can think of is I had an issue with salinity dropping low down to 1.023 for a while that I didnt notice for a while, or its the green sinularia that is releasing toxins that I can't test for. I've also checked for stray voltage that has been suggested as a possible cause. I went from.
Screenshot_20191024-181116_Gallery.jpg

To this
Screenshot_20200509-104529_Gallery.jpg
Sorry to hear that. I lost a 8heads indo gold torch . I still miss that coral lol I even did the icp test and everything looked good except a little nickel that I think was coming from rusty to ya I was using. Got the nickel down but still having the same issue. Anyone think it can be the shrimps late night??
i have19 fish 6 clowns 2 wrasse 4 tangs 5 green chromis... 1 cleaner ,1 peppermint,1blood shrimp

OP
OP
Jfast

Jfast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you guys do water changes? No brown jelly, just fallout?

Every tank is different we run our salinity about 1.023-25 it varies. Smaller water column with even the most minor of swings can have a big impact.

Argh! There are so many threads out there about this issue with little response... here's one for hammer splitting/spawning - https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/self-fragging-hammer.638841/

It's frustrating because your parameters look good but like @Nicholas-dushynsky said it could be something we can't test for though I've haven't heard of a BTA doing that to euphyllia before... I know plenty of successful tanks that have both with no issues. I'll keep doing some more research, I run a euphyllia heavy tank I have lost pieces before but it's been to brown jelly which is an easy diagnosis/remedy, this definitely has stumped and piqued my interest. I'll post more when I have more.
I do water changes every week about 10-15%. I’ve had the brown jelly in the past with a torch. But this is a bit slower . And the head falls off an lays on the floor or rock for a few weeks before it’s all the way melted .

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do water changes every week about 10-15%. I’ve had the brown jelly in the past with a torch. But this is a bit slower . And the head falls off an lays on the floor or rock for a few weeks before it’s all the way melted .
Have you tried putting them on a frag plug? or in a nem cup? Would be interested to know if it's self splitting.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had shrimp in the past that would annoy lps when feeding the tank but never noticed it after dark. The main colony in my main tank only loses a head here and there, but that's due to over growing and being shaded by itself. I have had the coral for over 14 years now. I just do t want to put any more frags in the 7 gallon if they are going to die.
This is the main tank I have the mother colony in.
Screenshot_20200526-225234_Gallery.jpg

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the same issues and have heard many others too. I have heard that this is polyp bail out that it’s either spawning or stress due to water quality or whatever that make the poly doesn’t want to stay.

Its frustrating and I have been losing corals slowly.

OP
OP
Jfast

Jfast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the same issues and have heard many others too. I have heard that this is polyp bail out that it’s either spawning or stress due to water quality or whatever that make the poly doesn’t want to stay.

Its frustrating and I have been losing corals slowly.
What kind of salt are u using or are u using natural seawater? I’m using fritz the blue box and have been for sometime now.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.1%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back