Torches and hammers leaving skeleton

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using natural sea water in all 3 of my tanks for over 2.5 years now so it's the same water used, but I'm losing lps heads in the 2 smaller tanks, I had 1 more head go yesterday and 1 more in my other tank is only just hanging on.
Screenshot_20200605-185035_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
Jfast

Jfast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using natural sea water in all 3 of my tanks for over 2.5 years now so it's the same water used, but I'm losing lps heads in the 2 smaller tanks, I had 1 more head go yesterday and 1 more in my other tank is only just hanging on.
Screenshot_20200605-185035_Gallery.jpg
Yes that’s the same thing it looks like on mine. But so far I’ve done a icp test and found I had a bit of metals I’ve been doing 15% now I’m up to a 20% weekly water change and now using curibsorb now and so far no bailout I’ll keep touching down to keep u updated

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that’s the same thing it looks like on mine. But so far I’ve done a icp test and found I had a bit of metals I’ve been doing 15% now I’m up to a 20% weekly water change and now using curibsorb now and so far no bailout I’ll keep touching down to keep u updated
Please do, I have tested all 3 tanks tonight and the tank that I've lost most hammers has a higher calcium than I'd like which is 480.

OP
OP
Jfast

Jfast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do, I have tested all 3 tanks tonight and the tank that I've lost most hammers has a higher calcium than I'd like which is 480.
Are all three of your tanks connected? I have another tank in the dining room and I do t have the same problems with that tank. Just my living room set up. I have the problems with. What are some of your other parameters

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the tanks are connected.
Here's the levels that I cam test for.
1_________________2_____________3
Problem tank________ main________other
Alk 8.3________________8.0__________10.5
Mag 1425____________1350_________1380
Calcium 480__________440__________450
Po4 <0.03____________0.03__________0.03
No3 25_______________25_____________50
Temp 78.4___________ 78.2___________ 82
Salinity 1.026 ________ 1.025________1.025
Ph 8.3_________________ 8.2 __________ 8.3

The reason tank 3 temp is so high is because I'm trying the elevated temps to try help with dino issue I have and am not able to do water changes currently to help lower alk, as makes dino worse. The alk has been that level since march. The photo I took was of a coral in tank 3, I feel that will bail out soon.

Last edited:

Oldcoder

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the tanks are connected.
Here's the levels that I cam test for.
1_________________2_____________3
Problem tank________ main________other
Alk 8.3________________8.0__________10.5
Mag 1425____________1350_________1380
Calcium 480__________440__________450
Po4 <0.03____________0.03__________0.03
No3 25_______________25_____________50
Temp 78.4___________ 78.2___________ 82
Salinity 1.026 ________ 1.025________1.025
Ph 8.3_________________ 8.2 __________ 8.3

The reason tank 3 temp is so high is because I'm trying the elevated temps to try help with dino issue I have and am not able to do water changes currently to help lower alk, as makes dino worse. The alk has been that level since march. The photo I took was of a coral in tank 3, I feel that will bail out soon.
I am following this thread with interest. I also have the exact same problem. I have been attributing it to the dinos in my system. I have been working on them for months. Can not get rid of them so far. The problem extends to my acans. I noticed that when I started blasting the dinos with a turkey baster that it quickly spread to Acans. All corals except mushrooms died. Waiting for upgraded UV.

I wonder if others with this problem have Dinos best I can tell from my microscope is I have Coolia. Would appreciate knowing if there is a connection here.

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am following this thread with interest. I also have the exact same problem. I have been attributing it to the dinos in my system. I have been working on them for months. Can not get rid of them so far. The problem extends to my acans. I noticed that when I started blasting the dinos with a turkey baster that it quickly spread to Acans. All corals except mushrooms died. Waiting for upgraded UV.

I wonder if others with this problem have Dinos best I can tell from my microscope is I have Coolia. Would appreciate knowing if there is a connection here.
The only tank I have dino issues with is number 3 as I put it down to starting it with dry rock so I don't think the stability is there .
But the tank I'm losing most lps was started with really old live rock 10 yrs plus, and the lps has been in there for over 3 years. The water change water is the same in all 3 tanks, which is natural sea water that I have collected myself.
I'm just going to leave things to happen and not jump on and make big changes and make things worse. I have heard that sinularia release toxins that can affect lps, of which I have in that tank.
I have tested for stray voltage which I don't have, I just can't justify paying for icp tests for a 7 gallon tank.

Markxc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
are your clowns using them as an anemone? that could irritate your euphylia

Nicholas Dushynsky

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have now lost my last 2 heads of hammer in my 7 gallon, my clowns never went in my hammers.
Now it's going as a softie tank. So I rescaped a little. I still have hammers in my other 2 tanks. I still think the sinularia I have in this tank my have been a factor.
Screenshot_20200607-162508_Gallery.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back