uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9F1129E4-B96B-40A1-A606-D6E3E7DFC8C3.jpeg
0286620B-2CCE-4D29-A334-A06EE334B7A6.jpeg
FB230D85-ED8F-4864-AE8C-DC3CDCDEF7DB.jpeg

Well it’s confirmed (by me anyway)! Hammer coral can and will self frag. It took about two months from the time I noticed it anyway. It started with what looked like a misshapen tentacle missing the “hammer” tip. Someone on the forum told me the hammer was fragging itself so I let it be. Today it dropped off by itself and I scooped it up. I thought that it was going to be all jelly like but that stalk actually has a sliver of skeleton like a vein going through it. I put it on a rock with some glue and there you go! A new baby hammer. It’d be nice if my torch did the same! It was completely open when I scooped it up so hopefully tomorrow I’ll get a better pic when the lights come back on!

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought they do that when they are stressed out. usually when they split they first create a bubble. I could have recalled the situation wrong..

OP
OP
uhgster1

uhgster1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well it’s confirmed (by me anyway)! Hammer coral can and will self frag. It took about two months from the time I noticed it anyway. It started with what looked like a misshapen tentacle missing the “hammer” tip. Someone on the forum told me the hammer was fragging itself so I let it be. Today it dropped off by itself and I scooped it up. I thought that it was going to be all jelly like but that stalk actually has a sliver of skeleton like a vein going through it. I put it on a rock with some glue and there you go! A new baby hammer. It’d be nice if my torch did the same! It was completely open when I scooped it up so hopefully tomorrow I’ll get a better pic when the lights come back on!
I’ve seen what you’re talking about. That bubble usually precedes a head splitting. This was different. The mother coral is in excellent shape. This was literally a new polyp growing from a tentacle. I’ve seen budding before too and this wasn’t even close to the main body of the polyp. I wish I had documented it a little better.

slee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

My hammer grew a small polyp and one day dissapearred and I later found it attached to a frag plug that was on the bottom of the tank. A new polyp is growing on the stem of the main hammer but found it fascinating to see!

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the baby hammer doing?

Thub

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a hammer do this, as I was understanding what I was looking at, the flow carried it to my rock flower nem, who immediately engulfed it.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 56 44.8%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back