Totally New

Linden

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have been keeping freshwater aquariums for around 10 years but am completely new to the saltwater side of things. I don't even know what questions I should be asking yet, so bear with me as I learn.

My experience with aquariums so far started out the hard way - I listened to the people at the pet store and started out with a betta in a bowl and a 15 gallon tank full of goldfish with no knowledge about the nitrogen cycle or really anything and was frustrated when I lost every last one of my fish. Instead of giving up the hobby I jumped online and did some research and learned that I did basically everything wrong and started over with a five gallon for the next betta and guppies in the 15 gallon. The next thing I knew I was adding "just one more tank". Right now I have a 25 gallon (zebra danios and otocinclus), a 36 gallon (community with various tetras and guppies), and a 37 gallon (congo tetras and java loaches), plus a handful of smaller tanks in storage.

As far as saltwater, my desire to start a saltwater tank started after a trip to the zoo where I fell in love with a tank they have that has pajama cardinalfish (and some other fish) in a reef tank. It's not one of the main display tanks, but I kept going back over to it and after some quick research figured out I could probably keep a similar but smaller aquarium at home. I'm planning on 40 gallons for my tank. I'm not really supposed to have large aquariums in my apartment and I think a 40 is the largest I can get away with. Anyway, I'm excited to begin my journey here.

BeltedCoyote

Philosopher king of the Memes
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

Welcome to R2R!!

Bluefishaquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have been keeping freshwater aquariums for around 10 years but am completely new to the saltwater side of things. I don't even know what questions I should be asking yet, so bear with me as I learn.

My experience with aquariums so far started out the hard way - I listened to the people at the pet store and started out with a betta in a bowl and a 15 gallon tank full of goldfish with no knowledge about the nitrogen cycle or really anything and was frustrated when I lost every last one of my fish. Instead of giving up the hobby I jumped online and did some research and learned that I did basically everything wrong and started over with a five gallon for the next betta and guppies in the 15 gallon. The next thing I knew I was adding "just one more tank". Right now I have a 25 gallon (zebra danios and otocinclus), a 36 gallon (community with various tetras and guppies), and a 37 gallon (congo tetras and java loaches), plus a handful of smaller tanks in storage.

As far as saltwater, my desire to start a saltwater tank started after a trip to the zoo where I fell in love with a tank they have that has pajama cardinalfish (and some other fish) in a reef tank. It's not one of the main display tanks, but I kept going back over to it and after some quick research figured out I could probably keep a similar but smaller aquarium at home. I'm planning on 40 gallons for my tank. I'm not really supposed to have large aquariums in my apartment and I think a 40 is the largest I can get away with. Anyway, I'm excited to begin my journey here.
Thats Awsome keep us posted and if you have any questions please ask :)

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 29 26.4%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 54 49.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 16.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back