trachyphyllia tentacles always out

EricLibs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my green trachy always has it's feeding tentacles out. A few days ago it caught and ate a small lubbucks wrasse. The next day it still had it's feeders out so I gave it a big chunck of squid and it's still has it's tentacles out. I don't want it eating more fish but I don't know if I should keep feeding it ? It's a single head about 4 inches in diameter when fully expanded. How it looks in the pic is pretty much what it always looks like except sometimes it looks more inverted with the middle being way higher then the surrounding body like it's trying to grab food

MVIMG_20191027_155507.jpg

OP
OP
E

EricLibs

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfectly normal response and it looks happy. I used to spot feed a couple times a week but the trachyphyllia would extend it's tentacles whenever food hit the water.

Is it normal for them to eat fish and or shrimp ? I had a few smaller peppermint shrimp go missing, a really small segmented blenny, and then I saw it swallowing a small lubbucks wrasse that seemed perfectly healthy the day before. The wrasse I only had for a few weeks so it could have been sick but the day prior not was out and eating and looked great. I didn't know these things could catch healthy fish till I looked it up online and now I'm nervous because I have some expensive smaller fish

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most LPS are piscivorus so missing inverts/fish can happen. That said, I can't imagine a healthy fish get caught. I've had wrasses and a mandarin literally live under a large trachyphyllia with no issues and the feeding tentacles were seriously long at times.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 126 75.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back