Trident calcium/mag depleted before alk

U

User1

View Badges
I only recalibrate when the readings after changing out the bottle are substantially different than the prior readings, and I suspect it's the reagent and not an actual change in the water chemistry.
This was commonly an issue during beta testing, but recently, I change out a bottle and the numbers are usually stable. I suspect this means their quality control for the reagents is better now than during beta testing.
I also recalibrate every now and then (every 3 months or so) just as a general good practice.
You can also buy additional recalibration fluid bottles directly from Neptune; I recommend keeping a few on hand.
I don't reuse calibration fluid once opened. Main reason being that there might not be enough for 2 full calibration runs.

How frequently are you testing?

Every 2 month kit has a calibration bottle. Also that kit guarantees the reagents are from the same batch. I do not know exactly but I thought the calibration standard matches or calibrates to that batch which is why it is included. So at a minimum we should be calibrating after each 2 month reagent is exhausted.

Anything beyond that isn't necessary "unless" you reposition the Trident to a different location that changes the sample line or Trident height. Just my understanding after talking to Neptune support and the FAQ.

Also agree. Left over calibration fluid is a one and done and shouldn't be reused for the Trident. However, you can use it right after to test your manual kits (you already know this - just saying for others).

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How frequently are you testing?

Every 2 month kit has a calibration bottle. Also that kit guarantees the reagents are from the same batch. I do not know exactly but I thought the calibration standard matches or calibrates to that batch which is why it is included. So at a minimum we should be calibrating after each 2 month reagent is exhausted.

Anything beyond that isn't necessary "unless" you reposition the Trident to a different location that changes the sample line or Trident height. Just my understanding after talking to Neptune support and the FAQ.

Also agree. Left over calibration fluid is a one and done and shouldn't be reused for the Trident. However, you can use it right after to test your manual kits (you already know this - just saying for others).

The calibration standard doesn't have anything to do with the specific batch of reagents. It's just a standard. Also, that's why you can purchase calibration solution just by itself.
In general, I don't have any issues at all mixing reagent bottles from different batches. If the numbers are unchanged, just keep rolling. If the numbers have changed, recalibrate. Super simple.
I'm currently testing at the standard 4x/day. Was up as high as 8x/day during the beta.

U

User1

View Badges
The calibration standard doesn't have anything to do with the specific batch of reagents. It's just a standard. Also, that's why you can purchase calibration solution just by itself.
In general, I don't have any issues at all mixing reagent bottles from different batches. If the numbers are unchanged, just keep rolling. If the numbers have changed, recalibrate. Super simple.
I'm currently testing at the standard 4x/day. Was up as high as 8x/day during the beta.

Neptune may want to update their FAQ. I was basing my understanding of it to the docs:

When should I calibrate my Trident?
The Trident should not be calibrated until at least 48 hours after its initial setup. This helps to ensure that the Trident is working normally before attempting the calibration. “Normal” can be defined as readings that are stable and generally consistent over the last 24-48 hours.

With every 2-month reagent package is a calibration standard. In every 2-month package Neptune Systems guarantees the reagents are from the same “batch.” The calibration standard allows your Trident to calibrate to that batch. Generally we recommend that at least 2-3 tests are completed on the new batch of reagents before attempting a calibration.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 45 86.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.8%
Back