Trident FAQ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 2, Members: 0, Guests: 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fritzhamer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re not snarky mate, they’re fact and Neptune do control what of their products get imported into the uk. We wait sometimes several months after you in the us for new apex products and we still don’t have the new energy bar but we can buy the apex 2016, why is that? We haven’t heard a peep from Neptune on that front, says a lot about what they think of us on this side of the pond.
Every other decent aquarium product gets released here with everything that is available to the us market so why not Neptune products?
And well done on the photo

I don’t track this since I don’t live in the UK but I’m fairly certain I’ve seen Terrance answer this a few times. Your Power grid is different than ours and there are just some limitations that are more on electromagnetism than on Neptune.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what good is a backup if it doesnt run all your systems?? (if you have the trident down the road)

Because it would run critical systems. I don't see the Trident as a critical system. Return(s), powerheads, heaters, chiller, ATO, skimmer, calcium reactor, dosing, leak detection, and AWC are what I would largely consider critical. If I have issues with my "new" apex 2 years from now my classic will still be able to run all of the above for me. If it happened right before a vacation I'd be running out and buying whatever Apex I could find anyway. If it happens while on vacation I have a friend down the street with a tank that I could easily walk through getting the backup apex online.

If I wasn't buying the new Apex, I would have been buying a backup head unit at the very least anyway. If you have multiple tanks, it makes even more sense to run a tank with the backup but keep it simple enough to switch to power strips and timers if necessary.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re not snarky mate, they’re fact and Neptune do control what of their products get imported into the uk. We wait sometimes several months after you in the us for new apex products and we still don’t have the new energy bar but we can buy the apex 2016, why is that? We haven’t heard a peep from Neptune on that front, says a lot about what they think of us on this side of the pond.
Every other decent aquarium product gets released here with everything that is available to the us market so why not Neptune products?
And well done on the photo
I dont think they plan an eb832 for UK

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what good is a backup if it doesnt run all your systems?? (if you have the trident down the road)
Because loosing alk testing while your 2016 gets shipped off for repairs is not exactly a show stopper.

Loosing the entire system for a few weeks could be....

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an apex JR, someone mail me thei classic after they upgrade to the 2016?

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an apex lite that I never got the chance to set up because of moving and what not. I’m working on my system now finally and my brand new controller is obsolete. It seems companies are doing this more often now, no longer supporting older products to force you to buy the newer version. I’m not going to buy another apex at this point. I realize the market for a product like this is smaller, at least right now, but not making it compatible with past models is going to force some people to look at competitors.

Benibarra23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who said they will not support them? Oh that’s right nobody. They still support them. They just don’t have the power to make all future products work on old products.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an apex lite that I never got the chance to set up because of moving and what not. I’m working on my system now finally and my brand new controller is obsolete. It seems companies are doing this more often now, no longer supporting older products to force you to buy the newer version. I’m not going to buy another apex at this point. I realize the market for a product like this is smaller, at least right now, but not making it compatible with past models is going to force some people to look at competitors.
try running windows 10 on a computer made 12 years ago...

your controller is not obsolete at all. Quite the opposite really.

this is the classic danged if you do, danged if you dont. People have cried for a long time.. when will apex update their controller??!! Then when they update...hey! your newest and most robust module won't work with the product you brought to market in the 90's.

yes the 2016 comes with a bunch of things that are frivolous..like ORP and salinity but its still a solid product and to my knowledge, there is not a comparable product on the market.

Last edited by a moderator:

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a problem at all with my apex, I would absolutely buy a module to make this work with my existing equipment. By not doing so it’s forcing me to either sell my brand new equipment (which I have no interest in doing) or look at other options. Everyone that is happy with their apex would look to Neptune for this type of equipment is it was made compatible. Lost opportunity for Neptune I think and not really taking care of their past customers.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a problem at all with my apex, I would absolutely buy a module to make this work with my existing equipment. By not doing so it’s forcing me to either sell my brand new equipment (which I have no interest in doing) or look at other options. Everyone that is happy with their apex would look to Neptune for this type of equipment is it was made compatible. Lost opportunity for Neptune I think and not really taking care of their past customers.

I still don't see the issue. They aren't forcing you to upgrade anything and still support the model you bought 100% including releasing some new modules that are backwards compatible. They release one, ONE, module that isn't backwards compatible and suddenly they aren't taking care of their past customers? The module you want Neptune to make to allow older Apex's to use the Trident would essentially be the new Apex head unit as they've stated it's the processing power that's the issue with the older Apex. Your best course of action is to probably hold out until the head unit only is finally released for sale. Or, I suppose, you could buy a new one and sell the EB832 and any probes you don't want.

There are stand alone alk monitors that you could buy and still run your Apex. The only people that I can see that have a minor gripe is those that bought their Apex within 2-3 months of the 2016 Apex being released for sale. But that also happens all the time with tech. I bought a Kessil A360W several months before I planned on using it. The next month, out came the E series which was 15% brighter or something. Bummed? Yes. Upset? No reason to be. Still using it? Yes. Most companies don't announce what updates will be occurring to products until right at release time. We also don't always know when products will be updated or replaced.

10 years ago or so I bought a telescope at a great price. And weeks later the reason why was apparent as the manufacturer released a new, drastically different model. I made great use out of the scope I bought and, again, wasn't upset over the new one being released. And yes, there were some features released for the new scope that my older one wouldn't support.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The module you want Neptune to make to allow older Apex's to use the Trident would essentially be the new Apex head unit as they've stated it's the processing power that's the issue with the older Apex. Your best course of action is to probably hold out until the head unit only is finally released for sale.

Is that something that is in the works or is Neptune releasing the new head unit just speculation?

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that something that is in the works or is Neptune releasing the new head unit just speculation?
if i recall correctly, apex said the demand for the complete 2016 package was high enough that it didnt make sense to offer just the head unit at this time.

Radman73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i recall correctly, apex said the demand for the complete 2016 package was high enough that it didnt make sense to offer just the head unit at this time.
Correct. They don't rule it out eventually. At some point, those of us with the new Apex will want a backup head unit too.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Offering just the head unit is the best solution for people who already own an apex. I have probes, energy bars and the like, so I don't need the entire bundle. The way it is right now would cost me close to 1000 to get the Trident because I have to buy the new bundle. Just won't do it.

Chris155hp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terrance what are the current baked in plans for using the data collected from the trident. Some competitors (specifically the Alktronic on Facebook) have some pretty cool features concerning auto dosing and such. With a Dos It’s a match made in heaven.

Last edited:

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct. They don't rule it out eventually. At some point, those of us with the new Apex will want a backup head unit too.
umm yeah. i will easily have 10k of livestock and coral in my 300. so it would be nice to have a backup head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 145 61.2%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 66 27.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 83 35.0%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 41 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 64 27.0%
Back