Trident FAQ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Offering just the head unit is the best solution for people who already own an apex. I have probes, energy bars and the like, so I don't need the entire bundle. The way it is right now would cost me close to 1000 to get the Trident because I have to buy the new bundle. Just won't do it.
Look your going to eventually need probes anyway esp a salinity probe that doesn’t work for anyone but is not a Neptune problem as far as they are concerned so what’s your problem? Plus u get a energy bar that tells you your estimated power bill so it’s the best deal possible and where are you getting a thousand dollars from the trident will only be 5-6 hundred dollars how dare u say it is going to cost more.
And if u have a problem with the original demo from Welsh working on the classic apex and the trident not working on it(which I find even more interesting now as the original is the one Terrance is running on his tank and a few pages back he said his vial has gone thru a couple thousand test which if Welch’s prototype was using the same tech to do alk instead of a ph probe cause why would the vial need to be replaced if it’s only holding water to test for ph? And it worked on a classic apex then why can’t it now??? But don’t think like that as how dare u) Neptune says they are sorry because technology moves forward.

So I can’t really see what ur problem is just buy the new apex ur going to need probes eventually.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be nice to keep this thread constructive.

You may notice that the Apex is out of stock at some major retailers. We cannot keep up with demand yet for the complete Apex package. If/when we are able to sell just the base unit it will likely be at least $400. That means for an additional $320 last week you got the energy bar 832 and all four probes. That’s over $500 value.

There is no point to rehash all of this again regarding the Apex Classic running the Trident. It will not.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think Terrance makes a great point. Believe me, i love an internet troll fight and pile on but if a company rep is taking the time to answer questions about a new product that many many people are super excited about, its really not fair to imply that the trident is just this huge money making conspiracy and that Neptune doesn't care about people with older units.

People asked why it wouldn't work with older units and they were given the answer.

Anyways, i do have a question for Terrance.. do you have any general idea to date how much neptune has spent to bring the trident to market? I know this is a complicated process with tons of moving parts, i just always wondered about how much it does cost ball park wise.

OP
OP
Terence

Terence

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot say for this particular product specifically. I can say that any major,complicated product we bring to market costs many hundreds of thousands of dollars. There is many millions invested in the Apex, its infrastructure, etc.

lefkonj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look your going to eventually need probes anyway esp a salinity probe that doesn’t work for anyone but is not a Neptune problem as far as they are concerned so what’s your problem? Plus u get a energy bar that tells you your estimated power bill so it’s the best deal possible and where are you getting a thousand dollars from the trident will only be 5-6 hundred dollars how dare u say it is going to cost more.
And if u have a problem with the original demo from Welsh working on the classic apex and the trident not working on it(which I find even more interesting now as the original is the one Terrance is running on his tank and a few pages back he said his vial has gone thru a couple thousand test which if Welch’s prototype was using the same tech to do alk instead of a ph probe cause why would the vial need to be replaced if it’s only holding water to test for ph? And it worked on a classic apex then why can’t it now??? But don’t think like that as how dare u) Neptune says they are sorry because technology moves forward.

So I can’t really see what ur problem is just buy the new apex ur going to need probes eventually.

Totally missed my point. I own an apex with probes and EBs. I don’t want to buy what I already own. To do Trident I just need the new head.
I understand the tech behind it and get the need for the new head just wish there was a cheaper way to upgrade my head unit so I could grab a trident.

Seand03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will this be able to be integrated into multiple tanks with a single unit? IE I have my DOS set up for automatic water changes but I want to ensure the water is about the same as my tank. Could I arrange 2x 24V Neptune Solenoids and a Y connector to the input to the Trident. If I want to test the tank solenoid A is open and solenoid B is closed and it pulls tank water, then solenoid A is closed and solenoid B is open and it draws water from the mixing bin. Also I could use the same A/B/Y connector to have my dosing pump dos to the mixing bin prior to entering the tank. The main issue with having that setup for water testing/mag/cal/alk is that would requite 8 24v ports… I suppose you could just test/dos alk into the mixing bin then do the rest in the tank.

Anyway my point is, please make it so I can tell the trident if I am testing at X time its for X tank, don’t just assume its for the same tank.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure yall have put the bug in Terrence's ear that a combo kit of the Trident and a 2016 head would be a good seller. Obviously Neptune has time for stock to replenish on the 2016 heads prior to the delivery of the Trident.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be nice to keep this thread constructive.

You may notice that the Apex is out of stock at some major retailers. We cannot keep up with demand yet for the complete Apex package. If/when we are able to sell just the base unit it will likely be at least $400. That means for an additional $320 last week you got the energy bar 832 and all four probes. That’s over $500 value.

There is no point to rehash all of this again regarding the Apex Classic running the Trident. It will not.
Make it $350 for those good customers who own every single probe type, pump, solenoid, expansion module, sensor DOS, ATK, Feeder badically the entire library of apex gear and you've got Your self a deal.

Honestly the hassel of pulling out my classic and programming a 2016 with so many EB8s, sensors and gear is as big of a de-motivator as cost as i easily drop $300 to $1,000 on apex gear every time you run a sale anyway. LOL.

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly shudder at the thought of using a classic apex as a backup to a 2016 model. Or ANY apex as a backup. There's no real easy way that I'm aware of to migrate from one apex to another. The other problem is fusion basically disallows you any access to your apex programming if it's disconnected

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly shudder at the thought of using a classic apex as a backup to a 2016 model. Or ANY apex as a backup. There's no real easy way that I'm aware of to migrate from one apex to another. The other problem is fusion basically disallows you any access to your apex programming if it's disconnected
if you made a backup of your program.. or profile or what ever its called.. couldnt you just plug a new module in and upload your profile?

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that I'm aware of. I don't know of any way to do a mass change in fusion other than adopting historical data.

Zaffor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought there was a way to export your settings and print it out. I think thats how I completed my upgrade

markstubb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a way to see global configuration and print it out, yet. But there's no way I'm aware of to import that back to another controller. With larger Apex deployments, the amount of code you have to put wherever (and the fact that there are still no freaking ability to COMMENT IN THE CODE) is daunting to say the least.

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make a copy with a few button presses but programming the new will require a lot of copy and paste and edit work.

I assume the 2016 still has access to the classic dashboard?

The best way to do it is put your new 2016 online with Nothing hooked to it while your classic is still running and either copy it from a desk or slowly migrate it over 1 device at a time, one expansion box at a time over several days...testing as you go until you finally have nothing left hooked to the classic.

Might even leave the classic mounted, powered and online so i can keep its firmware up to date and keep it in synch with the 2016.....that way its fairly painless to use it as a back up, should the need ever arise.

One thing Terence won't admit but ill argue is that any apex owner needs two main brains at all times.

The reason is that if something does happen you have to send it off etc. And go weeks with no controller.

On second thought leaving the backup powered and online is a bad idea, you could lose the 2016 and back up classic in one event

Having to drive 2 hours to aquarium specialty and drooping $800 plus tax to get a replacement system in an emergency due to a lightning strike or unforseen water splash or (mis) adventures of a new kitten or grand child etc. would be my only option as being without a controller for two weeks is NOT an option.......that entire scenario ticks me off in relation to the 2016 and was not a big deal on the classic as i was able to obtain a back up at a reasonable cost. This is largely the reason i have avoided the 2016 so far. As it is, i will have no choice but to let my classic be my back up as it looks like my insistence on having a 2016 as a back up makes me persona non grata in the eyes of Neptune.

The alternative is dropping $1,600 plus tac for two complete systems at once, putting both EB32s into use, having a back up set of probes and stowing the extra main brain.

There really needs to be some kind of inside discount tract for existing customers, especially those of use who have investing heavily in the entire apex eco-system.

Last edited:

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an apex lite that I never got the chance to set up because of moving and what not. I’m working on my system now finally and my brand new controller is obsolete. It seems companies are doing this more often now, no longer supporting older products to force you to buy the newer version. I’m not going to buy another apex at this point. I realize the market for a product like this is smaller, at least right now, but not making it compatible with past models is going to force some people to look at competitors.

Thats ancient... Lol how many years did you take to move? Thats like saying you have an original iPhone in the box and are upset that it doesn't have Face ID and wireless charging.

Your fault for buying a unit years and years before you had any use for it. I bought an apex lite for $200 with 2 EB8's and a new pH probe last summer, installed it, and love it. For $200, it saved my tank two times now, gives me Ph/Temp/Water level feedback, doses for me, controls all outlets, etc. A company releasing new products is great for those who can buy them, and great for those looking for cheaper resale of older units.

Last edited:

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats ancient... Lol how many years did you take to move? Thats like saying you have an original iPhone in the box and are upset that it doesn't have Face ID and wireless charging.

Your fault for buying a unit years and years before you had any use for it. I bought an apex lite for $200 with 2 EB8's and a new pH probe last summer, installed it, and love it. For $200, it saved my tank two times now, gives me Ph/Temp/Water level feedback, doses for me, controls all outlets, etc. A company releasing new products is great for those who can buy them, and great for those looking for cheaper resale of older units.

Your right. I bought it when I was stock piling equipment for my 150DD. Then put off the build because we decided to move and didn’t want to take down a tank I just put up, now after being in the house for more than 2 yrs I’m finally getting back to my tank. Life happens. Honestly I’m less upset about it then everyone else seems to be about an off the cuff comment.

My point was that for a smaller market base Neptune should have made more of an effort to make it compatible with 10s of thousands of excisting customers, I would think they would sell more tridents. They are more interested in moving forward that selling that particular product then so be it. I’m still interested in it but since I have to buy a whole new controller I’m looking into other options. I’d imagine others are doing the same.

I’m really upset that I never got to set up that 150DD, it didn’t fit in the layout of the new house. I loved that tank, never even got it wet. Oh well.

Reactions: clp

Chris Kelly

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can foresee the need for a clever mounting system to have this work properly under my tank. Is that going to be part of the product?

Status
Not open for further replies.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back