Trio possible?

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So about 2 weeks ago now I got an Orange Storm Clown in thats super small. Like barely 1" GREAT looking clown, very healthy and active, feeds very well on both brine shrimp and loaded pellets. He's had my 75g 36" long display tank all to himself. Done very well, likes to hang out in the back corner near the top, but comes out to eat like he's on the Indy 500.

Fast forward to 36 hours ago, local guy was selling a pair of Longfin clowns. These guys are already bonded and very good size. Like maybe just over 2", 2 1/2", something like that. Pretty decent size clowns. I've brought them home, got them all acclimated and put them in with "Steve" my Orange Storm.

They stayed on their sides respectively. The bonded pair I'm now calling "Ben & Jerry" They hung out for about 2-3 hours on the right side, Steve on the left.

I decided to go ahead and feed and see how they do. They all did amazing, it ended up bringing all 3 together on the left side, they all ate like pigs (4x I might add, I add a little bit, if they eat it all, I add more, they eat it all, etc.) Now they all seem to be hanging out together, I haven't seen Ben or Jerry chase Steve at all even during feedings. Granted its only been like 36 hours, but they seem to be doing well, I was super afraid they were going to try to kill Steve and I've got a nano tank I'm setting up tomorrow that will be instant cycled and was going to put Steve in it. Its a 16g so it would just basically be him and maybe a firefish and some shrimp later on.

Now I'm rethinking that. Is it possible to have a Trio of Clowns bonded? Or should still plan on Putting Steve in the Nano to be safe?

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch closely. Could be a year or longer before they decide to reject the little guy. Good luck. I hope they make it as a trio.
Yea I'll have a nano waiting for him soon if they decide to start bullying. If they haven't after a couple of weeks, I'll relax a little, but always keep my eye out.

Right now they are all just chilling together, all 3.

Anihiel1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes very possible. I have 3 females and 1 male. However- they did/do occasionally nip the male. He's been living with no tail and half a dorsal for 15 months.

chizerbunoi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am up to 30+ months with these 3. Started as 4 but then they outcast one. The small stays Just doesn’t turn into a male to compete.

B071B6C4-E411-423F-B75E-FE136138794B.jpeg

snowhite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a completely oddball trio. Midnight black, Chocolate Saddleback, and Gold Nugget Maroon. They were added at different times and are all existing in a 90g with no problems what-so-ever.
Tried adding a Lightning Maroon to the mix and that did not go well. The "trio" refused to accept him for a month, then when finally did accept him after time in a breeder box, then he went bonkers once he discovered his love for my anemone's and proceeded to beat 3 anemone's to the brink of death. 2 died, one still recovering.
He was relocated to my wife's anemone free Fowler 75g tank, and since we've found him a smaller rescue Lightning Maroon clown who he is currently refusing to accept... so he's currently in time-out in a clear breeder box for 4-5 days to cool off and be able to see the smaller new clown in the tank.

OP
OP
dwair

dwair

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a completely oddball trio. Midnight black, Chocolate Saddleback, and Gold Nugget Maroon. They were added at different times and are all existing in a 90g with no problems what-so-ever.
Tried adding a Lightning Maroon to the mix and that did not go well. The "trio" refused to accept him for a month, then when finally did accept him after time in a breeder box, then he went bonkers once he discovered his love for my anemone's and proceeded to beat 3 anemone's to the brink of death. 2 died, one still recovering.
He was relocated to my wife's anemone free Fowler 75g tank, and since we've found him a smaller rescue Lightning Maroon clown who he is currently refusing to accept... so he's currently in time-out in a clear breeder box for 4-5 days to cool off and be able to see the smaller new clown in the tank.
Awwww poor Nems!!!!. Lol he's in Time out. I love it!!! Hopefully he learns his lesson!

AlexAbel197

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had luck but wouldnt recommend as the peace will only last for so long.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back