tripod & boom arm recommendations

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now just get melev to make you a nice topdown box like this...

everything044.jpg

OP
OP
benny z

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
junior - thanks for the counterweight tip. i will see what i can come up with. def don't want it tipping into the tank. :) i did do some basic klutz tests and it did not tip, but it sure is a possibility.

i do actually have a simple look-down box. i tried taking pics through it with my point n shoot, but found it was easier just to kill all flow and shoot down through the water. i'll give it another try w/ the 50d.

tangdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is this what you got to take photos......are these the two pieces used to take your sample photos?

Also what camera did you get... I have been looking into a nice canon xti rebel and a 100mm marco lens....but all of that with your setup would be around a My Miami frag?

thanks,

Grant

thanks guys.

if i buy this tripod, or one like it, will i still need a separate boom? or will the horizontal column placement work on its own?

Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod - eBay (item 230416139749 end time Dec-31-09 10:29:59 PST)

this is the ballhead i'm looking at:

Bogen Manfrotto 488RC0 Midi Ball Head w/ Rapid Connect - eBay (item 130318584941 end time Feb-08-10 17:44:45 PST)

- ben

OP
OP
benny z

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yessir!

i bought a canon 50d and a 60mm f/2.8 macro lens. i went w/ the 60mm v/s the 100mm because it allows me to get closer to the piece. i experimented with frank's 100mm lens and we were hitting our head on the lights trying to get top-downs due to the distance you've got to be from the subject. i assume, though, that the 100mm would give you more "reach" into a tank from the front...but that hasn't been an issue for me yet.

yes, it was at least a my miami's worth investment, but i believe it's an investment well worth the price. at least i can't kill the camera w/ an alk swing! :D

tangdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fricken a, too much to learn here and there. Been doing this too long and I am too old to learn new things.

Now I have to see if a 60 macro or a 100 macro.....best top down is a 60, and to see better into a tank like single polyps on my millies in the back of the tank is a 100....

Is that what you are kinda saying.

Grant

OP
OP
benny z

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's what i'm saying is how i understand it, but i am far from a pro. just getting started...

i have 4 local friends with the canon 100mm lens who all are willing to let me borrow them, so that pretty much sealed the deal on my decision.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 41 46.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 22.7%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.8%
Back