tripod & boom arm recommendations

JuniorMC8704

Super Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now just get melev to make you a nice topdown box like this...

everything044.jpg

OP
OP
benny z

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
junior - thanks for the counterweight tip. i will see what i can come up with. def don't want it tipping into the tank. :) i did do some basic klutz tests and it did not tip, but it sure is a possibility.

i do actually have a simple look-down box. i tried taking pics through it with my point n shoot, but found it was easier just to kill all flow and shoot down through the water. i'll give it another try w/ the 50d.

tangdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is this what you got to take photos......are these the two pieces used to take your sample photos?

Also what camera did you get... I have been looking into a nice canon xti rebel and a 100mm marco lens....but all of that with your setup would be around a My Miami frag?

thanks,

Grant

thanks guys.

if i buy this tripod, or one like it, will i still need a separate boom? or will the horizontal column placement work on its own?

Manfrotto 055XPROB tripod - eBay (item 230416139749 end time Dec-31-09 10:29:59 PST)

this is the ballhead i'm looking at:

Bogen Manfrotto 488RC0 Midi Ball Head w/ Rapid Connect - eBay (item 130318584941 end time Feb-08-10 17:44:45 PST)

- ben

OP
OP
benny z

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yessir!

i bought a canon 50d and a 60mm f/2.8 macro lens. i went w/ the 60mm v/s the 100mm because it allows me to get closer to the piece. i experimented with frank's 100mm lens and we were hitting our head on the lights trying to get top-downs due to the distance you've got to be from the subject. i assume, though, that the 100mm would give you more "reach" into a tank from the front...but that hasn't been an issue for me yet.

yes, it was at least a my miami's worth investment, but i believe it's an investment well worth the price. at least i can't kill the camera w/ an alk swing! :D

tangdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fricken a, too much to learn here and there. Been doing this too long and I am too old to learn new things.

Now I have to see if a 60 macro or a 100 macro.....best top down is a 60, and to see better into a tank like single polyps on my millies in the back of the tank is a 100....

Is that what you are kinda saying.

Grant

OP
OP
benny z

benny z

coral care giver
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's what i'm saying is how i understand it, but i am far from a pro. just getting started...

i have 4 local friends with the canon 100mm lens who all are willing to let me borrow them, so that pretty much sealed the deal on my decision.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 48 43.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 56 50.5%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 7 6.3%
Back