Triton question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just watched the BRS video. Like many others, I love the idea of no water changes. The dummy manual says that I need to lower my alk to 8.0. Currently I run kalk through my ATO and maintain a level of 10. The reason being that with a lower alk my pH drops. With my alk at 10 I still only average 7.9 Ph. I ran my skimmer off outside air to help with the co2 buildup, but it didn’t help much. I am worried that if I drop my alk that much my pH will get really low. Any suggestions how to combat the low pH and have my alk at the recommended level?

Fence13

Over Thinker Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last time you calibrated your pH probe?

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calibrated every 3 months. Last month was the last calibration. Titration test matches Apex probe results. It’s a high Co2 issue.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To pitch in on the lower alk topic, Ive converted to Triton recently using their Core7 supplements. Had alk a bit higher at around 8.6 in my sps tank. Their initial starting dose is 2ml per 25 gal which is way conservative and allows alk to drop in a very short time. I would start at 10ml per 25 gal, as it seems that amount keeps alk stable, and you can always lower from there according to where you want to go.

I woult try running co2 scrubber media in the skimmer intake for now until you get things dialed in, so you dont run the risk of a low alk and ph at the same time.

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Co2 scrubber. It only gets me .2 raise in pH. My understanding is that before I start the program I need to lower my Alk.

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct. I didnt like lowering my alk, now my tank is stable at 7.3 alk dosing 10ml ler 25 gal. I will try keeping it at least at 8.3 as in the winter we have most windows closed here in NY and PH will drop.

I guess you tank is in a room with low air circulation?

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The house is sealed up tight. It’s a newer house. I run the hvac fan to help circulate air but it doesn’t seem to help much. The next thing I’m going to try was something I I saw posted by Randy Holmes Farley about display tank surface agitation competing with fresh air line being brought into the Skimmer. The surface agitation allows more co2 to enter the tank than the fresh air line to the Skimmer can compete with. At least that’s how I took the comment.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 26.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back