Triton Refugium Issues

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

bked180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently switch from Zeovit to Triton and built a brand new sump based on the Triton suggestions. My problem is my return (bean animal) at 10x tank (180gal) turnover is forcing my cheato into my skimmer (2nd) chamber. I lost a bunch of it already to the point where it completely stopped my skimmer pump. Any suggestions on how to have the 10x turnover and keep my algae in tack in my refugium chamber. I ordered a nice ball from Algae Barn and it's completely torn apart from my flow. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

gman107

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try keeping it in a pond basket till it’s big enough to stay together on its own. It will slow flow and keep it contained

tastyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to separate your refugium from the skimmer section? I'm surprised at Cheato migrating, unless it's not healthy and has broken into small pieces?

I use a DD Ultraflow weir, which is very effective at maintaining flow, whilst retaining algae. Many make their own algae guard using the mesh used for algae scrubbers, and rolling it around the top of the baffle

OP
OP
bked180

bked180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies and ideas. I fashioned my sump off the synergy reef sump so the weir slots is where the water flows from the fuge to the skimmer. I did have some foam which I sandwiched in there for right now. I think will get a pond plant basket to hold my cheato until it gets larger. I still feel like the 10x flow are larger systems is an issue with the amount of flow through the fuge. I'm hoping once the algae mass is larger I won't have a problem.

jzw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bked180

here's my macroalgae thingy, it's about 9x. i do get bits of chaeto in wrong places once in a while, but nothing as bad as urs. when i started, i stuffed my cheato into a mesh bag, like the kind they sell garlic in. it stayed together after then.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just recently switch from Zeovit to Triton and built a brand new sump based on the Triton suggestions. My problem is my return (bean animal) at 10x tank (180gal) turnover is forcing my cheato into my skimmer (2nd) chamber. I lost a bunch of it already to the point where it completely stopped my skimmer pump. Any suggestions on how to have the 10x turnover and keep my algae in tack in my refugium chamber. I ordered a nice ball from Algae Barn and it's completely torn apart from my flow. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have any images or photos? What size sump do you have?

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use some mess screen that is easy to remove for cleaning but won't clog. I would also consider reducing your flow and increase turnover as needed. For instance, if your nutrients are already on the low side your tank may benefit more so with 4-6X turnover. As your tank mature, fish and coral produce more waste, and perhaps you see some algae issues then you can increase the flow to increase nutrient export. I always go by my display tank and nutrient levels regardless of a suggest for any manufacture - MR saltwater tank says it best "know your tank personality". :) I've adjusted my turnover, skimming, and feeding based on my test results and its proven to help me know my tank personality

OP
OP
bked180

bked180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been making adjustments to my flow to see if it helps. I ended up getting a Laguna pond plant basket for the algae in my sump. I think part of my bigger issue is I have zero nitrates and phosphates. This may be the downfall of switching from Zeovit to Triton. I actually think my algae is dying off and that's why it is coming apart so easily.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here's a little something I tried which seems to have worked out. I tapped into the outlet side of my pump and injected a little bit more flow through eductors into the chaeto growing section. The use of the eductors creates enough water moving in a clockwise motion to keep the ball together better and away from the overflow on the left.

OP
OP
bked180

bked180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update...I modified my sump by adding another baffle where my return lines enter the sump. This took of my issue of the flow destroying my chaeto. It's not tumbling like I would like but it's at the surface which I read is a good thing. I will take some pics and get them posted shortly.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back