Triton Sump Recommendations

Which Sump Do You Think Is Best Choice

• Synergy TS-34

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Crystal Reef Aquatics TS30

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crystal Reef Aquatics TS36 (custom modified)

• Bashsea Smart 3018

• Bashsea Smart 3615 (send pump in skimmer chamber?)

• Bashsea Smart 3618

• Total voters

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently, I have 5 tanks. After about a year+ of doing 5 weekly water changes on two floors of my house, I've decided I need to consolidate some of my systems and move everything to one room. First step in this is consolidating my 40 gallon breeder and my IM Lagoon 50 into one tank and put it next to my 10 gallon frag tank, plumbed into a single sump.

I am shopping for a single triton style sump that I can plumb both the Lagoon 50 and 10g Frag Tank to. In an effort to minimize expenses, I'd like to continue to use equipment I already have to power these and want to make sure my new sump can accommodate.

Gear on hand
Skimmers:
- Somatic 60 (9x9) - Keep
- Somatic 60 - Sell
- Tunze Comline 9001 - Sell
- Vertex Omega 180 (10.5x11) - Future possibility if I upsize my 100g

Pumps:
- RO Varios-6 (5.7x3.75) - Keep return to Lagoon
- Skimz QuietPro 4.0 (6.75x3.6) - Keep return to Frag
- Sicce Syncra Silent 3.0 - Keep as backup

So far my consideration set is between Synergy, Crystal Reef Aquatics and Bashsea. Not really feeling the Trigger, Eshopps or Icecap. Looked at Advanced Acrylics, but their nicer sumps aren't as good a value as the three that I've narrowed it down to. Geo's makes nice sumps, but none that even come close to resembling the configuration I'd need and they are pricey.

My initial assessments:

- Synergy - One of the nicest for sure, but they charge shipping so the cost is highest. Also, if I ever wanted to try to use my Vertex Omega 180 in it, I would need to get the 44", which would be over $800 and only leave me 10" of cabinet space.

- Crystal Reef - Seems like the most bang for the buck, free shipping too. The 36" model won't fit either of my skimmers. 30" will fit my Somatic, but not my Omega. They say they can customize for a fee, but I am not getting responses when I email them.

- Bashsea - Not quite as pretty as Synergy or Crystal Reef, missing a few of the bells and whistles, but overall, very functional and likely have better space for my skimmer options. The 30"x18" model will fit my Somatic and the two return pumps. The 36"x15" model will fit either of my skimmers but may not fit both return pumps in the pump chamber. The 36"x18" might actually check all the boxes. Definitely the least expensive of the three.

Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 1.24.58 PM.png

I feel like I will either need to scratch the idea of ever using my Omega 180 in this sump, get a larger, more expensive sump than makes sense for this setup or get something custom. Thoughts, suggestions?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you handy? If so, get a 40 breeder (or whatever will fit) from PetCo dollar-per-gallon a few pieces of glass from the hardware store and some silicone and make your own. This takes some effort, but then you get it exactly how you want... and you can even leave room to run more than one skimmer if you ever need to (medication removal, etc.).

If you are talking about prebuilt, then nobody will really be able to help you since only you know what you really need.

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you handy? If so, get a 40 breeder (or whatever will fit) from PetCo dollar-per-gallon a few pieces of glass from the hardware store and some silicone and make your own. This takes some effort, but then you get it exactly how you want... and you can even leave room to run more than one skimmer if you ever need to (medication removal, etc.).

If you are talking about prebuilt, then nobody will really be able to help you since only you know what you really need.
Been down that road before. My 40b has a matching 40b under it as the sump.
Here is what I don't like about it:
- Aqueon Petco Tanks are junk, the glass is too thin, I've cracked one before while in use as a sump
- Cutting and gluing baffles is a pain in the behind. I ordered some plexiglas baffles off ebay, the bubble trap, pre-return came unglued
- Lack a lot of the features a higher end sump has like bulkheads, prob holders, etc

I have no qualms with spending $500-600 if it's going to be well built and accommodate my gear. While it's not the prettiest of the higher end, I think the Bashsea 3618 will actually do the trick.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HPIM9334.JPG I recently recently installed a Tritn 44 under a 75. I don't know how big you want but I like mine very much this sump has a large refugium, They sell different models at BRS, Looks well built also .

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HPIM9334.JPG I recently recently installed a Tritn 44 under a 75. I don't know how big you want but I like mine very much this sump has a large refugium, They sell different models at BRS, Looks well built also .
The price on the Trigger sumps is good, but they don't have one that matches the specs I need. Would have to get a 44 to fit my skimmer and I only have 48" of cabinet space. I don't want to go longer than 36".

OP
OP
Elgringodiablo

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remeasured a few things manually and found that some of my equipment would fit in spaces that I didn't think it would.

Updated consideration set:
- Bashsea Smart 3018
- Bashsea Smart 3615
- Trigger Triton34 V2

Skimmer sections on the Crystal Reef Aquatics were too small and they aren't responding at all about modifications. It's a shame really, since I was considering them for a custom tank down the road and they offered a really good price, but they are slower to respond than even Reef Savvy.

Synergy TS34 might work, but also the most expensive option and it's a bit dicey as to whether or not it would actually fit the Vertex Omega 180. Skimmer section is listed at 9.75" x 14.5" and my best estimate, is that it won't fit any narrower than 10".

Both the Trigger and the Bashsea are nice looking sumps and reasonably priced, I wouldn't really consider either of them dreambox level of pimped out, but will definitely do the trick. Guess I will wait and see what is on sale after Xmas.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back