Tropic Marin Pro Reef, bye bye

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if TM changed the 'recipe' for Pro Reef? I have used the salt for a while and mixed in a white bucket with never any residue. I am now on a new bucket and I am getting a coating of brown gunk on all surfaces of the bucket and on the mixing pump. I can even see the water has a brown/orange tint to it once the salt dissolves.
Yup. Me too. I thought I was having a flashback from my Reef Crystals days. I keep my Alk at 7.5 an like to store 55 gallons for a few weeks which is the main reason I use TM Pro. But I don't enjoy spending 20 minutes cleaning my storage container. I'm gonna see what other salts have lower Alk and can be stored.

ReefRxSWFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cmon. BRS doesn't lie when they say something is best ……

I don't think salt is ever an issue with quality salts that mix clean, and is always available. That rules out Fritz, Tropic M and Brown Sea.

You will do well with IO, Reef Crystals (leaves a little precip), Brightwell, 2 Lil fish……

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m tired of the stress of not being able to get this salt and am ready to change brands. Looking for recommendations from those who have had success changing. What did you change to and how was the transition?

Red Sea mixes very fast and is cheap. I use coral pro (though I don't do water changes anymore and haven't in a while so it's a special occasion when I do a water change).

I would never spend the money on tropic marin salt especially since I don't want to have to choose between minimum alk or minimum calcium. If I want fancy salt I'd go with aquaforest probiotic or something but still no one is failing in this hobby because of their salt.

OP
OP
D

Drendo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if TM changed the 'recipe' for Pro Reef? I have used the salt for a while and mixed in a white bucket with never any residue. I am now on a new bucket and I am getting a coating of brown gunk on all surfaces of the bucket and on the mixing pump. I can even see the water has a brown/orange tint to it once the salt dissolves.
Absolutely, I noticed this on my last two buckets and it has never happened before. I would love to hear someone at TM explain this.

Frogspon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am getting brown build up in my mixing container with Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt now. I don't let a batch sit for more than a week or two.

There is so much brown residue coating the entire mixing container that I thought it was an algae bloom the first time it happened.

rmcrom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting the residue after just an overnight mix. I do 15 gallons and it kind of looks almost a dillute tea color once dissolved.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup. Me too. I thought I was having a flashback from my Reef Crystals days. I keep my Alk at 7.5 an like to store 55 gallons for a few weeks which is the main reason I use TM Pro. But I don't enjoy spending 20 minutes cleaning my storage container. I'm gonna see what other salts have lower Alk and can be stored.
Try a small bag of carbon when mixing and the just leave it in the 55. I do not store mixed salt but mixing 15g's in a brute with a 1/4 cup of rox in a nylon sock eliminates the IO brown residue.
It might be worth a shot and cant hurt.

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a small bag of carbon when mixing and the just leave it in the 55. I do not store mixed salt but mixing 15g's in a brute with a 1/4 cup of rox in a nylon sock eliminates the IO brown residue.
It might be worth a shot and cant hurt.
Just filled the cleaned container with RODI and added salt this morning. I will try the carbon in a bag and see how it works.

Hairyteeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too am getting brown build up in my mixing container with Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt now. I don't let a batch sit for more than a week or two.

There is so much brown residue coating the entire mixing container that I thought it was an algae bloom the first time it happened.
Same

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched from TM Pro to Red Sea Blue due to the jacked up prices and lack of supply. It sounds crazy, but i see coral growth about 2X what I had with TM. I also find that I've really had to increase my dosing to maintain alk and calcium levels. The additional growth has made me step up my water testing regimen. I know people say salt doesn't matter but I won't argue with the results I'm seeing.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's more than a couple people that have observed this now. Lack of residue was the most popular reason for using TM Pro for most people. I have residue with Red Sea too, but it costs less and I can get it any time I need it. If this is true TM Pro is just a more expensive Red Sea blue that you can't buy when you need it.

torresj36

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW. I switched to Brightwell NeoMarine when both TM and AquaForest were nowhere to be found. My corals could not be happier, plumper and with greater extension. No knock on TM or AquaForest as NeoMarine is not without its flaws. For example, slow mixing and odor when mixing with Neo vs fast clean mixing with TM and AquaForest but the results I am getting coupled with it's availability make this my go to salt.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.5%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.2%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back