Tropic Marin Pro Substitutes

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to Red Sea blue bucket. And I don't see any crazy differences between it and TM Pro. And it mixes clean. And it's less expensive. And you don't have to hunt for it. If the price ever becomes equal between the two I might consider TM again. For now I'm patting myself on the back for making a great decision.
What's the Alk, Cal, and Mag on Red Sea Pro on new SW mix?

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the Alk, Cal, and Mag on Red Sea Pro on new SW mix?
It's not the pro mix. It's the regular blue bucket. I don't measure Mg on my salt mix. I never have seen reliable results with my test kit. I only check alkalinity before doing a water change and my last batch had alk at 8.0 and my tank water was 8.06. I'm not as concerned with slight fluctuations in calcium levels. Having said that, I check my tank every other week and my CA levels remain between 440 and 460. That doesn't seem to be influenced all that much by water changes.
Here are BRS publicized numbers:
pH: 8.2 - 8.4
Alkalinity: 7.8 - 8.2 DKH
Calcium: 420 - 440 mg/l
Magnesium: 1250 - 1310 mg/l
Potassium: 380 - 400 mg

Last edited:

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't measure Mg on my salt mix. I never have seen reliable results with my test kit. I only check alkalinity before doing a water change and my last batch had alk at 8.0 and my tank water was 8.06. I'm not as concerned with slight fluctuations in calcium levels. Having said that, I check my tank every other week and my CA levels remain between 440 and 460. That doesn't seem to be influenced all that much by water changes.
Here are BRS publicized numbers:
pH: 8.2 - 8.4
Alkalinity: 7.8 - 8.2 DKH
Calcium: 420 - 440 mg/l
Magnesium: 1250 - 1310 mg/l
Potassium: 380 - 400 mg

Having to dose brand new water ? Ridiculous . Explains why I have two brand new 5 gallon buckets of this salt not touched. I switched to Red Sea pro. Personally I don’t want to test and try configure new salt Dkh.

So that means even if I switch to Red Sea Pro, I still have to dose Alk on new SW mix since I keep my tank around 9 dkh.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So that means even if I switch to Red Sea Pro, I still have to dose Alk on new SW mix since I keep my tank around 9 dkh.
I had to edit my post to clarify that I'm not using the pro, black bucket. I see no value in keeping high alkalinity. Initially I was dosing soda ash to elevate my alkalinity until I found my test kit was bad. I gradually decreased my alkalinity through water changes until it stabilized where it is now. My corals and coralline have never grown faster or with better color. It also seemed like I had to clean my pumps more frequently when my alk was high.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do feel this is an important topic so was looking for guidance. I am definately not seeing price gouging in US market, just poor availability. Expected arrival dates are missed and likely hoarding. It is not happening for other products as much in hobby. My concern is vendors are giving preferential treatment and it goes before it is even list on websites.

I ended up getting the bio salt version in limited stock and will age it well. SPS are funny and may stress out 3 months after switching salt or may not at all. I trust TM to over come issues though,

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do feel this is an important topic so was looking for guidance. I am definately not seeing price gouging in US market, just poor availability. Expected arrival dates are missed and likely hoarding. It is not happening for other products as much in hobby. My concern is vendors are giving preferential treatment and it goes before it is even list on websites.

I ended up getting the bio salt version in limited stock and will age it well. SPS are funny and may stress out 3 months after switching salt or may not at all. I trust TM to over come issues though,
It's salt production. It's been a year. It takes car companies less time to ramp up production. I think they might be assuming the bump in demand was short lived and they don't want to increase capacity if it's not needed in the future. After all, excess capacity increases cost. I will be surprised if those still using TM Pro 6 months from now aren't still scrounging through the internet for their next fix. And the price will go up if supply doesn't meet demand. This is a simple law of economics and I can't think of a single instance where that hasn't proven true. As I've said before, this is a self correcting situation. If people can't buy what they need, they have to go with something else.

I switched late last year. I would argue that my tank has never been healthier or better looking.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you choose to replace TM Pro? I am curious. I will likely wait to last minute and not return if situation remains same. I buy 6 buckets at a time before pandemic and slowed water changes myself. ~5% weekly and making most of get detritus out with it.

All salt vendors have issues from time to time but it is know how in manufacturing and sourcing on thier part. I have a short list of very dirty salts I avoid but not sharing openly. I would much prefer domestic supply. Two mixing vessels would meet demand in all likelyhood. Eu often does not hire for bumps in the road of productions as they have intense labor laws.

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shortage.png

Happy Birthday toooooooo meeeeeeeee.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you choose to replace TM Pro? I am curious. I will likely wait to last minute and not return if situation remains same. I buy 6 buckets at a time before pandemic and slowed water changes myself. ~5% weekly and making most of get detritus out with it.

All salt vendors have issues from time to time but it is know how in manufacturing and sourcing on thier part. I have a short list of very dirty salts I avoid but not sharing openly. I would much prefer domestic supply. Two mixing vessels would meet demand in all likelyhood. Eu often does not hire for bumps in the road of productions as they have intense labor laws.
Red Sea Salt. Blue bucket.

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again, my information on this will not answer your question totally. :( The MAP price only determines the "minimum advertised price". It does not prevent anyone from listing the product at a higher price. It is always a difficult issue when a store is trying to sell a product at in overly inflated price. But that particular scenario is difficult to regulate. In general, it is regulated by customers finding a new place to shop. I truly hope, as supply starts to ramp up and meet this increased demand, that you will see price manipulation like this go away!
Lou, I completely understand and appreciate your position on pricing. But I can tell you the perception among many in the community here is that TM is driving the price, not the retailer. I have a suspicion that this particular retailer is responsible for that perception and might be perpetuating it to cover his greed, but regardless many people believe TM is responsible for the price they pay at this store.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shortage.png

Happy Birthday toooooooo meeeeeeeee.
I would not post something like this on public forum. Human like to follow other human being. Just imagine if you start a hoarding trend and almost every reefers who use TM salt hoard TM salt like you. You may likely end up having hard time to find a bucket when your supply dried out. Just saying.

I remember here is Canada during the first wave of Covid 19 people started to hoard toilet paper and paper towel. I thought to my self, why people worry so much about running out toilet paper and paper towel instead of food items?? It was because small group of people started the trend and everyone else followed.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes hoarding and other base instincts persist. I would not brag about that. I regret asking the question and may drop back off this forum. Have fun kids.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lou, I completely understand and appreciate your position on pricing. But I can tell you the perception among many in the community here is that TM is driving the price, not the retailer. I have a suspicion that this particular retailer is responsible for that perception and might be perpetuating it to cover his greed, but regardless many people believe TM is responsible for the price they pay at this store.
I wish we had more control of retail pricing. But we don't. I want to be very clear about this, though, Tropic Marin has not had any recent price increases. If you are seeing elevated prices, it is a result of either distributors or retailers pricing decisions. Not originating with us, the manufacturer.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always left Eu suppliers over time in this hobby.

I decided to go to redsea from local supplier and moving on after many years. UK has plenty, Canada has some and they can keep it. Red Sea can up production it seems.

Tropic Marin can consider it permanent.

Last edited:

TheDuude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to use IO, since decades ago, when that was all that was available. Not certain why I switched... looking for something better, I suppose.

When BRS started doing their salt testing, I was using Red Sea. Red Sea left a tremendous amount of guck in my mixing barrel, so I watched BRS's testing results, and switched to HW Marine Mix. Shortly thereafter, it went out of stock. Not having what I need available is simply unacceptable... so I switched to TM Classic. Until it too went unavailable.

So... I'm evaluating my options...

From BRS's clear mixing tests, Tropic Marin, HW Reefer, and Regular IO are all, to my eye, equivalent.

From BRS's Calc/Alk/Mag testing, Tropic Marin Regular was 375/10/1230. TM Pro was 450/8.5/1380. Regular IO was 400/11/1350.

From a cost standpoint, IO is by far the least expensive. Chewy has it for $40.72 for the 200g box, delivered.

From an availability standpoint, IO is everywhere, and you get your pick of packaging.

Why was it most of us moved away from IO? Chasing something better? Not sure we ever found it.

Oh, Shedd's Aquarium uses IO, as does Georgia Aquarium, Bass Pro's aquarium... Works for them.

I went back to IO, and unless something dramatic changes, I'm done worrying about salt mix.
100% agree.

I have tried many other brands and never noticed any difference at all in health of my tank or mixed reef. IO is stable, cheap, and readily available. Seems crazy to me to waste so much $$ on fancy salt.

burningmime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100% agree.

I have tried many other brands and never noticed any difference at all in health of my tank or mixed reef. IO is stable, cheap, and readily available. Seems crazy to me to waste so much $$ on fancy salt.
The big advantage of TM Pro, IMO, is that it mixes really clean and won't start building up crud in your mixing station over time.

Koigula

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We are in a pandemic. If salt is your biggest worry then everything is OK. If TM is out when I run out I will go to IO and stay there for a few years. Quality is not quite there so just test alkalinity when made up and adjust if needed or just do 5% water changes.

Eu supply chain is precarious at best. They will stay home and leave you hanging. They will also take August off and leave you hanging. Don't make it your problem, make it theirs.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back