Tropic Marin Pro Substitutes

DWill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand your frustration. But there is truly a constant supply coming into the US. It is just selling out faster than it is coming in. We are ramping up our manufacturing capabilities. But that process takes some time. We have total commitment to our quality control during that ramping up process. We are starting to see the fruits of that labor. We are seeing more and more product coming over. Supply should be getting better and better over the next few months. I wouldn't have said that 6 months ago!
As far as not "seeing anything from Tropic Marin since November", that is just not the case. We have brought in a tremendous amount since then. I don't believe that statement!
I'm not making an attempt to "defend" here. Supply has definitely been an issue over the past year. But product HAS been steadily coming in. And I do anticipate things getting a whole lot better in the next few months.
Maybe you can suggest to some of your dealers to stop price gouging. I understand supply and demand but $140.00 (and more) for a bucket of salt mix is only end up costing TM business.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any salt would be better to get just based on price and availability. Shouldn't have to hunt the internet for any salt, and it shouldn't cost a second mortgage to purchase and deliver. Great salt, but the pros don't outweigh the cons in this bucket of salt.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you can suggest to some of your dealers to stop price gouging. I understand supply and demand but $140.00 (and more) for a bucket of salt mix is only end up costing TM business.
Unfortunately, we do not have control over what a shop sells the salt buckets for. We would never suggest or even condone the kind of pricing you are listing. That is one reason we have MAP pricing on all of our products here in the US. I am very hopeful, that as you see us catching the supply back up with demand, you will see that kind of pricing practice disappearing. At least I hope that is the case.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, we do not have control over what a shop sells the salt buckets for. We would never suggest or even condone the kind of pricing you are listing. That is one reason we have MAP pricing on all of our products here in the US. I am very hopeful, that as you see us catching the supply back up with demand, you will see that kind of pricing practice disappearing. At least I hope that is the case.
That's the cost in Canada all day long

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So can you confirm if $139.99 Canadian dollar is the correct MAP pricing in Canada specifically Toronto and area? Thanks!

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
So every time water changes are done with this salt you have a alkalinity spike right because it’s 7 Dkh ?

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So every time water changes are done with this salt you have a alkalinity spike right because it’s 7 Dkh ?
Related to this point, I have been using TM since day one. When I mix saltwater I always dose Alk in the mixing bucket to bring it to 9 dkh. I test using Hanna checker. My question is how come despite this effort, my tank Alk still see a drop around 0.2 dkh after WC? I don’t get it.

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Related to this point, I have been using TM since day one. When I mix saltwater I always dose Alk in the mixing bucket to bring it to 9 dkh. I test using Hanna checker. My question is how come despite this effort, my tank Alk still see a drop around 0.2 dkh after WC? I don’t get it.
Having to dose brand new water ? Ridiculous . Explains why I have two brand new 5 gallon buckets of this salt not touched. I switched to Red Sea pro. Personally I don’t want to test and try configure new salt Dkh.

Lou Ekus

Tropic Marin USA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So can you confirm if $139.99 Canadian dollar is the correct MAP pricing in Canada specifically Toronto and area? Thanks!
Once again, my information on this will not answer your question totally. :( The MAP price only determines the "minimum advertised price". It does not prevent anyone from listing the product at a higher price. It is always a difficult issue when a store is trying to sell a product at in overly inflated price. But that particular scenario is difficult to regulate. In general, it is regulated by customers finding a new place to shop. I truly hope, as supply starts to ramp up and meet this increased demand, that you will see price manipulation like this go away!

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once again, my information on this will not answer your question totally. :( The MAP price only determines the "minimum advertised price". It does not prevent anyone from listing the product at a higher price. It is always a difficult issue when a store is trying to sell a product at in overly inflated price. But that particular scenario is difficult to regulate. In general, it is regulated by customers finding a new place to shop. I truly hope, as supply starts to ramp up and meet this increased demand, that you will see price manipulation like this go away!
Most likely not here in Canada, that has been the price of TMP in Canada since it's inception.

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having to dose brand new water ? Ridiculous . Explains why I have two brand new 5 gallon buckets of this salt not touched. I switched to Red Sea pro. Personally I don’t want to test and try configure new salt Dkh.

What's the Alk, Cal, and Mag on Red Sea Pro on new SW mix? How quickly and cleanly it mixes?

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to use IO, since decades ago, when that was all that was available. Not certain why I switched... looking for something better, I suppose.

When BRS started doing their salt testing, I was using Red Sea. Red Sea left a tremendous amount of guck in my mixing barrel, so I watched BRS's testing results, and switched to HW Marine Mix. Shortly thereafter, it went out of stock. Not having what I need available is simply unacceptable... so I switched to TM Classic. Until it too went unavailable.

So... I'm evaluating my options...

From BRS's clear mixing tests, Tropic Marin, HW Reefer, and Regular IO are all, to my eye, equivalent.

From BRS's Calc/Alk/Mag testing, Tropic Marin Regular was 375/10/1230. TM Pro was 450/8.5/1380. Regular IO was 400/11/1350.

From a cost standpoint, IO is by far the least expensive. Chewy has it for $40.72 for the 200g box, delivered.

From an availability standpoint, IO is everywhere, and you get your pick of packaging.

Why was it most of us moved away from IO? Chasing something better? Not sure we ever found it.

Oh, Shedd's Aquarium uses IO, as does Georgia Aquarium, Bass Pro's aquarium... Works for them.

I went back to IO, and unless something dramatic changes, I'm done worrying about salt mix.

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched to Red Sea blue bucket. And I don't see any crazy differences between it and TM Pro. And it mixes clean. And it's less expensive. And you don't have to hunt for it. If the price ever becomes equal between the two I might consider TM again. For now I'm patting myself on the back for making a great decision.

Back