Troublesome Hippo Tang

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been restarting the reef after a crash last year. I added some zoa's to the tank a few days back and they disappeared overnight totally. I suspect the hippo tang (the other inhabitants are a sail fin tang, yellow tang, dottyback, 2 x clowns, an old damsel from when I first started).

It is well fed 3 pellet feedings, a cube of mysis, and a sheet of nori a day. Is there a way to stop the behaviour or do I need to get rid? I don't want to waste cash putting in zoa just to have them eaten!

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been restarting the reef after a crash last year. I added some zoa's to the tank a few days back and they disappeared overnight totally. I suspect the hippo tang (the other inhabitants are a sail fin tang, yellow tang, dottyback, 2 x clowns, an old damsel from when I first started).

It is well fed 3 pellet feedings, a cube of mysis, and a sheet of nori a day. Is there a way to stop the behaviour or do I need to get rid? I don't want to waste cash putting in zoa just to have them eaten!
Mine does/did (because I have few left!) exactly the same Joe. Went Zoa feasting one day out of the blue and developed a taste for them and he’s very well fed.

I’ve had him since very young so I couldn’t part with him now (or catch him anyway!) so I just sat back and tried not to fret to much about my prized zoa colonies being devoured!

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I have never had this happen but I have heard from many hobbyist before that blue hippo tang ate their zoa.

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I have a choice of no zoa's then or no Dory! I guess I could make an acan garden instead ........ Dory was supposed to be nice in the movie ;)

Jim Fox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine took out a softball size colony of Purple People Eater zoas. I started the colony with a quarter size frag and it took her about 3 days to take them out. Like others have said, she's very well fed, so no idea why she did that. So frustrating!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hard to stop this kind of behavior once it gest established. Hippo is 'unique' in the tang world in that it is a planktivore rather than herbivore - though it will certainly eat nori if offered. You could try to increase the meaty foods you offer and see if that makes a difference.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats interesting Colore I didn' know this about Hippo's

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what you are feeding the Hippo exactly....

Mine I feed strictly meaty stuff, chopped mussels mainly. Mine's addicted to mussels and goes nuts for it. Other flake food thats more veggie based its less excited.

OP
OP
Joe Batt

Joe Batt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He eats anything thats put in the tank, pellets, mysis, nori, you name it.....Annoying

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I ready, once they get a taste for it they never stop. Sadly blue hippos are prone to it. This is the only reason I never purchased a hippo, beautiful fish with great personalities.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back