Truck or SUV?

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an older Tacoma, they can be pricey but they hold their value incredibly well, very reliable and fairly comfortable.

If its going to be a vehicle you will only have 4-5 years, it holding its value should be fairly important something Tacomas and 4runners do very well at.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to decide between the Tacoma pick up with a bed extender and tow hitch or a Chevy suburban. You can remove the third row seats and with the second row down you can still get a full sheet of plywood in. The suv has a much smoother ride too.
I used to be a huge advocate for Chevy's 5.3 iron block but post-2010 they're just all garbage now :(

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't imagine not having a truck. SUVs are the new minivans lol.
Actually more accurate than some SUV owners would like. Since 2006ish almost all (except 4Runner) SUVs have gone from a body-on-frame design (strong, like trucks are built) to a unibody design (weaker, built for weight savings and fuel efficiency just like your typical sedan or minivan). Most have very poor off-road abilities (read: poor ground clearance and approach/departure angles) and get AWD which is quite inferior to true 4wd (bonus points for locking diffs). SUVs have been pushed into a grey area where they're really just oversized sedans or better looking minivans when you get down to it.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stay away from a grand Cherokee unless it's the mid 90's, like the regular xj Cherokee. The xj Cherokee is pretty bulletproof, drove one for 10 years and I beat on it on and off road. You can now get early 2000 tahoe/suburban or pickup for less than an xj Cherokee in similar shape. I have an 01 Tahoe going on 235k with zero major repairs besides brakes. I beat on it too and tow with it. You can get decent ones all day for under 4-5k.

I would agree on a standard cab pickup for the kid vs an SUV load of kids causing trouble. I always have use for a pickup but an SUV is more useful and don't own both so I have a trailer for hauling.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually more accurate than some SUV owners would like. Since 2006ish almost all (except 4Runner) SUVs have gone from a body-on-frame design (strong, like trucks are built) to a unibody design (weaker, built for weight savings and fuel efficiency just like your typical sedan or minivan). Most have very poor off-road abilities (read: poor ground clearance and approach/departure angles) and get AWD which is quite inferior to true 4wd (bonus points for locking diffs). SUVs have been pushed into a grey area where they're really just oversized sedans or better looking minivans when you get down to it.
Wrong, Chevy are still on a frame

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
SUV- crossover
Ha very good luck with Toyoda 4runner and GMC Terrain
Now have new equinox.
Honda crv and toyoda rav smaller but very good

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say this, if you buy a domestic SUV with more than 100k you WILL regret it. Unless you enjoy working on cars.

Ford explorer...dude no. Grand Cherokee? That would be a good buy if you just suffered a serious head injury.

Airbags, anti locks and solid mechanicals those should be the three priorities.
My 2008 lexus RX350 has 242,000 miles on it. Never been to a repair shop.

Sure, I dont get the "truck" cred or "merica'" looks, but I find most of those people to be creatins anyways :)

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to decide between the Tacoma pick up with a bed extender and tow hitch or a Chevy suburban. You can remove the third row seats and with the second row down you can still get a full sheet of plywood in. The suv has a much smoother ride too.

This may help.. imagine buying gas for the suburban. Yikes!!

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m a 4Runner guy. I have one thing against Tacos: rear drum brakes. There isn’t anything wrong with them, but I dislike working on drums.

If you ever wondered why they have drums, I completed a focus group study for the tacoma once. Towing was way down on the list of listed priorities for tacomas. (The only real reason to have rear discs on a truck). The higher priority was offloading, and drum brakes have a much much lower chances of getting damaged or rocks in them as compared to discs.

I have a 2019 taco. Resale value is just ridiculously good, engine is strong. Seats are from the 1980s and the transmission... OMG, the auto transmission combined with drive by wire is dreadful.

2021 tundra baby!!! Air assist shocks, twin turbo v6 that will get 30mpg. :)

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ever wondered why they have drums, I completed a focus group study for the tacoma once. Towing was way down on the list of listed priorities for tacomas. (The only real reason to have rear discs on a truck). The higher priority was offloading, and drum brakes have a much much lower chances of getting damaged or rocks in them as compared to discs.

I have a 2019 taco. Resale value is just ridiculously good, engine is strong. Seats are from the 1980s and the transmission... OMG, the auto transmission combined with drive by wire is dreadful.

can’t beat an aisin transmission.

pdxmonkeyboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True.. but you can complain about it :)

I just drove my friends taco who spent 700 to get his tranny and fuel mapping flashed and it drove soooooo much better.

They did it to increase gas mileage but it shifts soo early and if you want to accelerate... you add gas...add gas... add a little more, then it sends a letter to the dealer, they read it, then send a letter back to the truck and THEN it downshifts.

Lol

OREGONIC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im a truck person. Toyotas are by far the most reliable, and hold their value way better then anything else in the truck market. 300k + with no major mechanical issues for a Toyota is is very common. The true question is Tacoma or Tundra

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True.. but you can complain about it :)

I just drove my friends taco who spent 700 to get his tranny and fuel mapping flashed and it drove soooooo much better.

They did it to increase gas mileage but it shifts soo early and if you want to accelerate... you add gas...add gas... add a little more, then it sends a letter to the dealer, they read it, then send a letter back to the truck and THEN it downshifts.

Lol

depends on the condition of the transmission when the fluid is changed. many people put this maintenance off and they pay for it in the end. i change mine every 70k miles or so.

hyprc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrong, Chevy are still on a frame
You have to go to Tahoe or Suburban to get body on frame... the rest of their 'suvs' are unibody... you can also get body on frame with many of the other full size SUVs... got 60K to blow? Also enjoy that 5.3 grenading at 70k.

EmilyXLC

Charisma +10
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I drove my dad's 1988 GMC Z71 until I bought a 1991 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. I loved that I could fit more friends in the Wrangler, but goodness, the bed of the truck came in handy so many times that it was worth having access to-- I moved MANY fish tanks in the back of that bad boy in the early 2000s!

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have to go to Tahoe or Suburban to get body on frame... the rest of their 'suvs' are unibody... you can also get body on frame with many of the other full size SUVs... got 60K to blow? Also enjoy that 5.3 grenading at 70k.
Calm down there guy. The 5.3 does not grenade at 70k unless you never change the oil or use Pennzoil. The rest of the SUV class can't tow a boat, let alone anything heavier. If you need an SUV and tow, not many options. Toyota? Lol, look at their prices and still can't tow.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's false when it comes to drums, dirt and rocks get in them and take them out. They rust fiercely too. Their braking power is a joke, brake fade fast. ABS doesn't work well on drums. The only up side to drums is parking brake holding, that is it. Anyone that knows anything about brakes knows discs are 100x better in every way except parking brake.

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im bias so i would say anything with a cummins in it cant beat the sound power/torque or fuel mileage that and 5.9s run forever if you treat them right

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current debate with myself is Tacoma or 4Runner.

I have an ‘06 4-Runner with 230k miles and still going strong. Probably the best vehicle I’ve owned or leased over the years. Obviously either that you’re looking at will be the same, just a preference on pickup or SUV

Currently leasing a ‘17 Expedition but think I’m going back to a 4-Runner after lease is up.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back