True or False: All tangs (surgeonfish) need at least a 6ft tank to thrive.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Studies that support what data? I didn’t even cite specific data.
LOl - its all good - I didn't say you cited specific data - I asked you for the data that you mentioned here:
You’re being facetious yes? Studies I am speaking of are done by scientific method. I am talking about studies done in HI for years by several institutions. Are you being serious?

scattered

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - Perhaps I misunderstood you said studies done by the 'scientific method' and something done by 'RC' whatever that is ( I assumed reef central? - but honestly I have no clue). I asked to see the studies - if they are out there?

But in the desire to come to an agreement - you feel that based on these studies - that no tangs should be kept in aquaria? Or what is your point? I have no axe to grind here. I asked for the raw data to back up what you were saying - why would that be facetious? Because lots of people here (in the past 6 pages) have anecdotally kept tangs in tanks that were not 10 miles long.

Sorry I am talking about sustainability studies etc. done in HI. Some members of RC are members of that scientific community.

Biota of Palau has recently been doing great things with captive breeding. I am confident I can now keep a mandarin in a nano because they’ve developed an aquaculture, food agnostic version. They are doing the same with yellow tang.

I think you can keep tangs in smaller tanks with proper nutrient control, but they seem happier imo when they can swim. Now 6 feet back and forth but wide and square for happier fish.

I am really not trying to be salty I am legit surprised.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry I am talking about sustainability studies etc. done in HI. Some members of RC are members of that scientific community.

Biota of Palau has recently been doing great things with captive breeding. I am confident I can now keep a mandarin in a nano because they’ve developed an aquaculture, food agnostic version. They are doing the same with yellow tang.

I think you can keep tangs in smaller tanks with proper nutrient control, but they seem happier imo when they can swim. Now 6 feet back and forth but wide and square for happier fish.

I am really not trying to be salty I am legit surprised.
Thanks - I had asked a question about tang migration/location I thought you were referring to that. I was wondering where the data came from suggesting that tangs swim xxx miles/day and shouldn't be kept in tanks. Thanks for your kind response.

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is probably true - but why. Why a tang and not an emperor angel? Why a tang and not a parrotfish? Why a tang and not xxxxxxx fish. It seems to not make sense to me - again I'm here to learn. maybe @revhtree will explain the reason HE posted the poll...... It certainly has generated enough comments in 24 hours:)

Tangs are so susceptible to illness like ick and what not that many have bias towards not stressing them (smaller system). However, no matter what tangs are going to be prone to illness in any tank. With that being said if you try one in a small tank the likely hood of stress maybe higher than a larger system of course however, if you are willing to invest time in your tang I still think there isn’t an issue with keeping them in a tank less than 6 ft. For a period of time. It would never be long term.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tangs are so susceptible to illness like ick and what not that many have bias towards not stressing them (smaller system). However, no matter what tangs are going to be prone to illness in any tank. With that being said if you try one in a small tank the likely hood of stress maybe higher than a larger system of course however, if you are willing to invest time in your tang I still think there isn’t an issue with keeping them in a tank less than 6 ft. For a period of time. It would never be long term.

Why? (i.e. why not long-term)? why is 6 feet magic but 5.5 feet unacceptable. Why is 7 feet not better (i.e 6 feet is unacceptable)??

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is a carat diamond women want but 0.97 you didn’t get them what they wanted? I don’t know who set the standard in the books for 6ft. Someone did though and people roll w it. Bottom line we could argue semantics all day here but if you want a tang don’t be super ignorant about it. Have plenty of filtration and be willing/ready to medicate if need be. That is my opinion on the matter. No one ever wins w tangs.

scattered

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think tangs body shape an a large, deep lateral line contributes to their susceptibility to disease. Just a theory.

scattered

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I had asked a question about tang migration/location I thought you were referring to that. I was wondering where the data came from suggesting that tangs swim xxx miles/day and shouldn't be kept in tanks. Thanks for your kind response.

Happy to be at peace [emoji1374] thank you.

This hobby is a major philosophical compromise in my opinion. We do not know the actual lifespan of some of the creatures we sentence to death but by the same token the amount of aquaculture I can get now makes me weep with joy.

Enjoy the journey and respect the life (and root for companies like Biota)

With gratitude,

—dov (scattered)

scriptmonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I own zero tangs at the moment but have in the past. Not all tangs are going to grow to be monsters in size. I see no issue in keeping it until/if it grows in size that it is no longer feasible to keep it in your tank. Way I look at it he can live his life in a 20gal tank at the LFS/breeder or he can live a decent life in my 75/120 gal tank.. The responsible thing to do with any fish that can get large is have a plan B incase it does grow, be prepared to upgrade or rehome.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FALSE, my yellow, purple, naso and hippo are always happy to see me and they are as healthy as can be in my 92g. I can feel people cringing at the thought of those 4 tangs in a 92g but I really dont care and neither do they. I'm sure they much rather be in the ocean though.

KyOsIBa515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FALSE, my yellow, purple, naso and hippo are always happy to see me and they are as healthy as can be in my 92g. I can feel people cringing at the thought of those 4 tangs in a 92g but I really dont care and neither do they. I'm sure they much rather be in the ocean though.

I don’t want to get too philosophical here...however, in nature anything can adapt to an environment. It has to or nothing would survive. It’s like what is more ideal. Raising a family of 5 in a 900sq ft house or a 2500 sq ft house? Well of course the 2500 sq ft house. However, people live happy, wonderful, healthy lives in their 900sq ft house.

If everyone went strictly off of what is written in books about the hobby only the elite could enjoy it. I am an advocate of books. I am an advocate of experience. This whole 6ft in length is just a fail safe in my opinion. No fish taken out of it’s environment and put in another is safe no matter the size. It has to adapt. And from what you say yours did just fine. Kudos.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t want to get too philosophical here...however, in nature anything can adapt to an environment. It has to or nothing would survive. It’s like what is more ideal. Raising a family of 5 in a 900sq ft house or a 2500 sq ft house? Well of course the 2500 sq ft house. However, people live happy, wonderful, healthy lives in their 900sq ft house.

If everyone went strictly off of what is written in books about the hobby only the elite could enjoy it. I am an advocate of books. I am an advocate of experience. This whole 6ft in length is just a fail safe in my opinion. No fish taken out of it’s environment and put in another is safe no matter the size. It has to adapt. And from what you say yours did just fine. Kudos.
Ya they even like to pose for pics well atleast 2 of them the other 2 were probably grazing on all my rocks like they do all day.

9FAC057E-BEB1-4B5F-B4D9-82F3BA586740.jpeg

Nburg's Reef

High-Rise Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked the other person about this - what criteria would you use to remove it? I don't think anyone here is talking about keeping a 12 inch tang in a 4 foot aquarium. First - it would look silly. Second it wouldn't be good for the fish. I don't personally believe that a captive tang would get to 12 inches ever (unless they were in a thousands of gallons aquarium) - Not sure its fair to compare tangs in the wild to tangs in tanks. MOST fish in the wild get a lot larger than they do in our tanks. Look at corals - they get to be feet across. Anemones - some 3 feet across. Again just to me - it comes down to why do people ignore the other wildlife - and go nuts about tangs (not to say you're nuts)
My criteria will be aggression. I also saw wild yellow and kole tangs and they stay mostly small. Those huge yellow tangs are rare in the wild... at least in Hawaii.

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The thing with saying how do we know if the tangs are happy or not to me is the whole debate. Just because they swim miles in the wild doesn't mean they wouldnt enjoy or be totally happy in an aquarium where the food is abundant and is stable. humans used to live in caves and build fires to stay warm. you don't see us still doing that because we have adapted to a heated house even though it may be smaller than living outside. we just have no right to say what these animals like or dislike.

Last edited:

Jase4224

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why do tangs or any other reef fish use large areas in the wild?.. to get what they require to survive: Food and safety.

Our tanks may be small compared to their natural range, but if we can provide plenty of food, a predator free environment, good water quality and plenty of flow than our fish have what they need.

Stresses on the reef like extreme competition for food, predators, storms etc can be eliminated in our tanks.

If a fish is clearly well nourished and behaves as though it’s happy then is probably IS happy.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like tangs. What was the question? :0)

When I had a 120 (48") I had just a single scopas tang but still felt the tank was too small. I upgraded to a 300 (72 x 36") partly because I wanted to provide more space for tangs and angels. They seem to be doing very well but I'm capping my population at 4 tangs (lieutenant, scopas, pyroferus, naso) and a foxface. They are all fat and active. I would worry if they started to become reclusive (especially the foxface) as this is sometimes an indicator of stress due to inadequate space. If I have my way, I'll build an 8 x 4' tank within the next few years. Maybe then add a couple more tangs. I agree with ca1ore that even that size tank is actually too small to really provide the fish with enough space. I also agree that removing the stress of living wild (constant predation threats) may be an acceptable trade-off to living in a small glass box.

So I'm really in the mixed camp. Smaller tangs can be kept in smaller tanks provided their water quality and diet requirements are met. Going forward, I won't keep another tang in a tank smaller than my 300. That is simply my choice.

Another person made an excellent point... it's not just tangs. Triggers, angels, parrots, etc. have quite large territories and/or move several miles per day. Tank size-independent, we should strive to keep optimal conditions for our fishy friends. There are SO many "moral" choices we make as aquarists that it seems a bit odd for anybody to die on this one hill. Do your research, never stop learning, provide the best care you can.

tony'stank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
False
My yellow tang an Regal blue ( hepatus) Tang are very happy after five years in my 5 ft 90 Gal. Tank. They were both introduced as small juveniles

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back